“BAD food”
Review of Shanti Lodge

Shanti Lodge
Ranked #96 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed March 11, 2013

only the view is nice,food is expensive and not good, after eating that i have started dyreah and stomach problem, service is very low, price is very high, please dont go there it's an advice, there are other place also for taj view

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I walked into this hotel which was recommended in LONELY PLANET and decided to stay there because it was late and I was tired. My room was not in the main building but a separate building in the rear. To get there one had to walk through a dark alley, past 3 goats. A monkey jumped and shrieked on the metal fence roof over the atrium. No toilet paper...had to buy it for 30 rupees and the requested blanket didn't look too clean. Bathroom was abysmal.

On a positive note, the owner was very kind and accommodating. The next day when I was very tired and had a long wait for my train he left me rest for an hour in an unoccupied room in the main building. The odd thing is that my room in the back was 500 rupee and the one where I rested (which was better in my opinion) was only 400 rupee.

Room Tip: Although it might be noisier, try to get a room in the front main building. Rooms are cheaper and yo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I wish I had read the reviews before staying here, after 4 months of budget guesthouses this is the worst (by a large margin). Please do not stay here.

We paid 350rps (after much bargaining) and we even had to pay up front. The room was the usual squalid affair but bearable, what was not bearable was the foot long RAT that my wife found eating through our bags in the middle of the night! That's right a dirty big rat! It's a new low for our trip to India.

We complained to the manager who refused to believe us but after using the word RAT at the top of our voices and insisting we would spend the rest of our day warning anyone who approached the business he finally gave us a refund.

We are amazed that rather than admit the possibility of their being a RAT it is more plausible that we would take 6 months out of our lives to visit a country and then invent stories to get a refund!

DO NOT STAY IN THIS RAT INFESTED PIT WHERE THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK IS AS FILTHY AS THE VERMIN LURKING IN THE ROOMS!

QUITE SIMPLY THE WORST GUESTHOUSE IN INDIA!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank thegink
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

As it was recommended in lonely planet, for the great view we went there to have dinner, and the view is amazing!!!! But thats it, we ordered 2 indian dishes and one western pasta, all vegetarian, the service was really bad, when we did not finish the second indian dish the waiter seemed to be mad, we had to explain him why we did not eat it (i mean ok we did not really touch it, but we had this dish a few days before in rajasthan, and it looked completely different and somehow weird, its supposed to be a yellow sauce, but it came green with a kind of browngrey shimmer, but i tried it at least, it tasted horrible, but we did not complain) when we were asking for the bill it almost took him 30 minutes to bring it (the restaurant was not even half full) but the worst thing was the night after our visit, i litterally spent it at the bathroom and i am absolutely sure it was because of this second dish only i tried!
Altogether: go there for the nice view, have some coke or any other drink that comes in a can,tin or glassbottle (take care they open it in front of you) and enjoy your time, but dont eat anything there if youve got plans for the night or upcoming days!!!

Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Now, so far in India the accomodation has been disgusting and I got no better here! The only good thing about it is it's location!

First up they try and charge 600rp per night but if you try and leave its knocked down to 400rp and you're told to keep it quiet (bit of a tip for the next unfortunate lot)

The rooms are terrible, well mine was, it was damp, filthy, the bed sheets were disgusting and certainly hadn't been changed from the previous guests and probably not since the guests before that!!! The bathroom was stinking and as usual no hot water! There is also a definite bed bug issue here!

The staff are a disgrace, they kept turning our electricity off and claiming their was a power cut in the town but we soon learned that by flicking a switch next to the bed they use in the court yard the power was actually available! I mean they were happy for us to sit in the dark for I reason whatsoever! This happened maybe 10 times during our stay! What sort of place does this?!? They even have a cheek to be awkward about it!

The roof terrace is cool but the restaurant is way over priced and the service up there is terrible as well! I had to ask for the bill three times and the guy still went on to serve 3 other tables and still forget I'd asked! I wouldn't have cared that mic but it was freezing and he looked at me like I was insane!

All in all this place is disgusting, I would rather sleep on the streets than return to this hovel!

Avoid unless you're happy to live in absolute filth!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and this hotel without doubt has the best view of the gate and the Taj in Agra. I was able to enjoy sunset, full moon and sunrise views which were breathtaking. This is a budget hotel with a price to match but a million dollar view and really should not be criticised. Dawn from Australia

Room Tip: I had the room at the top adjacent to restaurant and from my window I could see the Taj Mahal.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The only good thing about the Shanti lodge is that its proximity and breathtaking view of the The Taj Mahal.
I visited with 4 friends and had an 1 day stay as we have to move to Jaipur for very next day, in winters the rooms were warm but cleanliness of toilets and mosquitoes were the things which haunted us through out the night.
though in the morning the view from the roof top was splendid and worth going through the nightmare of foul smell and mosquitoes !!
Restaurant food was not very great but the view of Taj again was worth sitting there and sipping coffee !
I would recommend this only if you are really tight on budget and looking for great view of Taj Mahal its worth for that

Room Tip: All the rooms are except some rooms which do not have windows avoid them !!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends