“Great location and view of Taj”
Review of Hotel Kamal

Hotel Kamal
Ranked #56 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Value for money basic rooms with friendly service with information on attractions. Roof top view is amazing as you watch the Taj Mahal at sunset. It is 2 mins walk to the Taj and this is a huge bonus if you want to visit it at sunrise. Stuffmakers restaurant is always cool (air-cool) and serve decent breakfast and Indian food.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 14, 2008

Hotel Kamal is conveniently located within walking distance of the Taj Mahal and its roof terrace makes it a good place to enjoy its view. The staff is friendly and rooms are clean although the hotel looks like it could have been a jail in a previous life.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2008

It was okay. Plus points: Good location to Taj Mahal, good view of the Taj from the rooftop restuarant but the air quality of Agra is so bad that you can barely see it through the haze. The food at the restuarant is good and cheap.

Bad points: The neighborhood it is in is a slum essentially. I would not recommend a single woman traveller to stay in this neighborhood. It is pretty run down and the room is extremely basic. Our windows didn't shut all the way, and we were FREEZING as it is winter and no heating. They said we were in a deluxe room but we had no hot water. The bathroom has an open window with bars- no glass in it- to the outside so all the cold air can come in and people can hear you. Pretty glad we only stayed one night in it.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 9, 2008

I paid Rs 400/night for a double room. The room was very clean and the manager there was very helpful. He gave us a lot of advices on our itinerary in Agra. The rooftop view of Taj Mahal ws ok though the view at Hotel Sheela was better. I dropped by at Hotel Sheela which is just next door for a full Taj Mahal view.

I will definitely stay here again if I am back in Agra.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lokeyh
Reviewed December 28, 2007

Price: I paid I think 600 rupees for a semi-deluxe room on the second floor.

Location: The location of the hotel can't be beat for proximity to the Taj, it's right in the Taj Ganj area, I walked down to the east gate of the Taj Mahal in under 5 mins. It's also surrounded by the shops and restaurants of Taj Ganj. Unfortunately, it's too far for foot to the both train stations, but an autorickshaw should cost around 50 rs.

Room: The hotel itself was clean itself, marble floors, well-kept, my room was fairly large and clean, and so was the bathroom. It was definitely better from the outside than Hotel Sheela a few steps away (can't comment on the rooms though). My only complaints were that there was no phone in the room, the pillow covers were still too dirty to trust putting my head on, and I didn't manage to get any hot water in the shower, although they said I should be able to.

Service: The staff was friendly and I had no problems. I've heard great things about the owner.

Food: I didn't eat in their restaurant, though I've heard it's fine. I recommend instead stepping over to Hotel Sheela for breakfast on their rooftop, as their view is slightly better. But I would stay at Hotel Kamal for the room definitely.

Bottom Line: All in all a great little place very close to the Taj, you can have a rooftop view of the Taj anytime while enjoying a nice snack or meal.

• Stayed: December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank AntigenBand
Reviewed November 5, 2007

If you're into views, you'll love this place!!

The rooftop restaurant has a fantastic view of the Taj. We had most of our meals here, just to enjoy the sight. The Taj isn't lit up at night but there was something magical about looking at its dark silhouette!

The food is fine, nothing amazing but way better than many other places we ate at in India. They will get you beer if you ask, but made us keep it hidden under the table (which just added to the fun of it all!)

Our room was very basic, no hot water (fine cos it's hot this time of year) and hard pillows, but for $18 (Australian) we weren't complaining

The service was fine. Reception staff were simply polite and restaurant staff were very chatty. We did have a staff member quickly take a pair of thongs/flip flops we'd left outside... but we quickly got them back!

The hotel's located in a bustling street, that kept us entertained, with plenty of hairdressers (!), places to eat, internet cafes.

We booked a train ticket to Varanasi and a driver for Rajastan, at the travel agent/net cafe across the road from the hotel. Both the train and the driver worked out fine but the hotel warned us AFTER we'd paid, that the people were shady. I don't know how true that was!

Highly recommend the hotel if you're not too fussy about your room but love a good view!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank Zuzu-and-Lulu
Reviewed October 30, 2007

We just had one night at Hotel Kamal, and it was ok. It's smack bang in the middle of Taj Ganj, pretty convenient for the Taj Mahal, about a 4 minute walk away.

Hotel Kamal's a small, simple budget hotel for tourists doing a quick pitstop in Agra. For that reason it's not kitted out for a luxury stay - the pillows were "firm" to say the least. Neither is housekeeping their number one priority, but it's fine for a night or two. It's not really run like a proper hotel, the staff are about as laid-back as they come, and pretty friendly.

Stuff Makers, the onsite restaurant, is basic but fine. There are about 4 other very similar rooftop eateries within about 20m of each other, and all serve up the same rudimentary fare. Having the option of sitting in plastic chairs on the concrete roof is a nice option though, as Hotel Kamal has a rather good view of the Taj Mahal.

Something worth noting is that there was a fair amount of variation in what other guests were paying at the hotel. Check out a couple of rooms before you commit, and don't pay any more than Rs 300 for non-AC.

If you want a budget hotel near the Taj Mahal, then this is par for the course. My advice, however, would be to take advantage of the excellent trains and just do Agra in a day.

• Stayed: October 2007