“Very handy for Taj”
Review of Hotel Sidhartha

Hotel Sidhartha
Ranked #31 of 142 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice and very friendly little hotel. Room was clean and perfectly adequate for the one night we were there. You can see the dome of the Taj from the rooftop though there is nothing else up there, shame as it could be a lovely place to sit (maybe they had problems with the monkeys?)
Anyway, there is a lovely dining area in the courtyard, with lots of greenery. The staff are attentive and the breakfast was great.
Best of all, its in a quiet street literally 5 minutes stroll from the west gate, so you can roll out of bed at 5am, shower and get there ready for opening time.
Also liked the area of Taj Gang, lots going on if you want to sit and watch the world go by, but feels like a little town within Agra.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sidhartha

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I chose this hotel because of all the great reviews I have read about it but was very disappointed.
the first thing was their simple refusal of picking me up at the Agra Fort train station! I called the hotel, they gave me the number of a driver who told me he would never come to pick me up at the Fort, I called again the hotel and they said no, they don't have the licence to take me from there, which was ridiculous.
Secondly, the staff was very antipathic, almost rude, I got sent in my room with no hello or thank you, the hotel was empty and the restaurant filled with random people from the staff. besides, there was no Wifi! I had to go an internet cafe.

The next day though, the boss was here and he is very nice and helpful, it is a shame that the rest of his people were being so distant and rude.
Rooms otherwise were small and clean and the roof top very nice. ok for the price. proximity from Taj Mahal was very much appreciated, especially when waking up early. Proximity to the fort as well ok. (1 km)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We booked online and paid 10% deposit but when we actually arrived the hostel, we didn't want to stay. First of all the owner told us there is no hot shower and wifi since its still renovating. He told us it will be working after 5 months. We asked for deposit back but the owner said he cant give. But as stated on hostelbookers.com there will be hot shower and wifi, but we can get it. Neither can we get the money back. We were pissed. So we moved out and found another guest house next to west gate for 400rs/room, which is even cheaper.

Only the location is good. Services, facilities and the rooms suck !

Room Tip: no hot shower no wifi
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you are looking for a safe, bare but relatively clean budget room (clean for Indian standards) that is just a couple minutes walk from the Taj Mahal, this is it. The room cost us about $18 a room with air conditioning and bathroom. Like all the relatively cheap places we stayed and ate at in India, food service was generally slow. If you like spotless sheets and privacy, do NOT stay here. It was relatively clean for Indian standards (i.e. the sheets were ALMOST spotless) but I definitely slept inside my silk sleep sack and again, like most budget places we stayed in, noise is carried very easily through the walls (our bathroom had a vent that was connected to our neighbor's bathroom, too....)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank oOosunshineoOo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Sidhartha for one night, and it was one night too many. The bedsheets and towels were stained. The water heater was missing. And while taking a shower, my friend found a 6 inch black worm crawling around in the bathroom. When we alerted the hotel staff, they ran in with a huge wooden staff and said "oh! that's nothing. we thought you said there was a snake!" ... that did NOT help us instill confidence in the place.

After requesting they move us upstairs and away from any other "visitors," we managed to sleep for a few hours. In the morning, we tried to catch a quick breakfast downstairs at their Garden Restaurant. The service was ridiculous. There were only 3 tables (out of a potential of 8-9) with 3 servers, and somehow they just couldn't figure out who ordered what. We had to tell them that we did not order a 2nd order of toast multiple times, and our quick 20 minute breakfast turned into an easy hour.

Hotel Sidhartha leaves a LOT to be desired. Avoid at all costs. I have absolutely no idea why this place is so well-reviewed on tripadvisor.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank giddiemon
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed in this property for 2 days and if I didn't already have prepaid for the room I would have checked out. The room was really dirty with the sheets in very bad condition. Slept in my clothes and used a t-shirt over the pillowcase. I didn't dare eat at the restaurant - if the room was that dirty I can only imagine the condition of the kitchen! On Agoda where I booked they say they had free wifi but when I arrived I asked and they did not. When I pointed their claim on Agoda his response was that it "must be a mistake". Yeah right, more like a lie. The only positive thing I can say is that it is close to the west gate of the Taj. After some looking around, the east gate seemed like a better choice even though it is much quieter, but, this is a good thing in Agra. I suggest you eat at the Shanti Lodge, rooftop view of the Taj, and the food is good and cheap; very close to this place. Do not stay at this place even if it is very cheap unless you have no other option.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank songoflife
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel and for the money we paid were very happy. It is located 200m from the Western Gate of the Taj Mahal.
We arrived by night train at 6am and were promptly shown to our room even though it was well before check in time which was great. The room was very clean and the AC worked well. The bathroom was very clean also. Our only issue was that some of the staff were quite unfriendly. This hotel would almost be perfect if it had Wi-Fi and hot water but still a very good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple