“Basic hotel....no complains!”

Ranked #38 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Saskatoon, Canada
“Basic hotel....no complains!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I chose to rate this hotel as average because it was good, but nothing exceptional. Service was good, if a little distant. The room was good. Good size, clean, all basic amenities available. The breakfast was ok. No real fuss with anything. It was good value for money. I would probably come back and stay here next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Dubai
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here one day as i was visiting Agra to see Taj Mahal. We chose the hotel after seeing some reviews in Tripadvisor only. When i reached here i really thanked Tripadvisor pretty clean and nicely designed room. the only fault i can say is the Sanitary wares looks bit old..This hotel is about 5 minutes drive from Taj Mahal or a 15 minutes walk from Taj.

Room Tip: I stayed in 305 pretty nicely designed room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was a nice hotel, clean bathroom and room, reception staff where very friendly even offered to drop us to a show we booked through them. Wifi connection wasn’t that great but the bar on our floor made up for it. Nice cocktails and great staff. Stayed one night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

When I arrived they took me up to a room and I was horrified - I had booked an executive room and they were giving me a delux room - doesn't sound much difference but it is the delux room had grubby walls and I wasn't happy. I told the bell boy this is not what I booked and was not happy. Next thing I know they gave me the suite which was the most beautiful room I had in india. It was clean, quiet with the most soft and comfortable bed I had in india. They supplied toilet paper, soap and clean towels. So really it is important that you stand up for what you have paid and booked. I never saw the executive room - but I would say that they were booked out and thought they would try giving me the cheaper room. Just remember and now what you have paid for. In the end I got a better room which was lovely. The Restaurant meal was good, and the breakfast was buffet - but get in early as it goes quickly. I was told to go to see the Taj in the afternoon and in the morning (which costs you twice) but personally it was find just going in the afternoon, and I probably wouldn't have bothered staying in Agra overnight I probably would have rathered continued to Japuir. But then again if you get this great room its worth staying!

Room Tip: Make sure you go for the suite or executive rooms the delux rooms arent that clean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was welcoming and the room they gave us on the third floor was big and spacious. It's in an ideal location and easy to get to and from the Taj Mahal.
The bathroom again was spacious but could do with a little TLC as the taps were tarnished but good hot power shower which is a refreshing change in India!
Breakfast is included and again caters for. Western and Indians.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex, UK
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The first impressions of this hotel were excellent. As others have noted the location is great for an early morning Taj Mahal visit and the breakfast offering exceeded our expectations.

The main problem is the unfortunate side effect of using marble and hard surfaces throughout the lobby and hallways. It creates a perfect echo chamber! This became most obvious at 1am when children from the party taking place in the ground floor venue were still running/screaming along the corridors and stairs. Not the best when you have an early start and need some sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank veronie
London
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've divided my review into firstly about the hotel and room and secondly things I found useful for visiting the Taj Mahal.
I booked a Deluxe room for 1 night whilst visiting the Taj as part of seeing "The Golden Triangle". I arrived in Agra on the early Shatabdi Express from Delhi and got to the hotel for 09:00 a.m. As check-in was not until 12:00 noon I thought I would see if by chance I could have the room and to my very pleasant surprise the manager on the desk advised I could check-in 3 hours early at no extra cost! What a start!The room was very spacious, although it was one of the older rooms so the décor was a bit dated. It had a flat screen TV with lots of channels, a fridge but it did not have an in room safe. There is free WiFi in the lobby and restaurant (but not in the rooms). The breakfast was good and included western choices with a chef to make omelettes and cereals etc. However, I also had dinner which was dreadful and I had to leave it, but I guess I should ave guessed with the restaurant being empty in the evening. The hotel is less than a 5 minute drive from the East gate of the Taj so very conveniently located. The mall opposite has a McDonald's and cinema but not much else. However, the problem I found during my stay was the noise. I read other reviews and was aware that they host wedding parties in a conference area behind the hotel but I thought as I was staying on a Monday I'd be fine. Unfortunately not so. The noise from the event was not as bad as other reviewers comment as I was able to sleep through it. However, what was more annoying was that I was on the first floor where at the end of the corridor they have a bar and when other guests left the bar area they showed little consideration for anyone else regardless of the time shouting loudly. This didn't help when you've planned a sunrise trip to the Taj. Therefore a strong tip would be to avoid the first floor and try something higher. Its also worth noting that a new hotel is being built next door, although construction noise does not start until 09:30 a.m. For check out again the management were great and offered a 1 hour late check out free of charge. I had a train later in the day so opted to pay 1000R for an extra few hours. Overall if there wasn't the noise this would be a decent hotel.
Things I found useful for visiting the Taj:
If possible visit first thing in the morning for sunrise as there are far less crowds. Get your tickets the night before (750R for a foreigner) to save queueing in the morning. At the booking office it shows what time the sun rises and get in line well ahead of time. In my case it was 06.50 and I was first in line at 06:00 a.m. By the time they opened the gate there were at least 300 people behind. This was using the west gate which has shorter queues apparently. Also hire a guide outside for 300R (after some bargaining) as they know all the best places for photos.
I did the above and jogged the first couple of hundred yards and was first into the Taj which remained empty for probably 5 mins which allowed beautiful empty photos before anyone else was there. Eventually the place fills up but having 5 mins to yourself really added that something special. And yes it really does meet expectations and takes you breath away. A true wonder of the world! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor and avoid the first floor because of the noise from people coming / going to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo