“Avoid this hotel.”

Ranked #126 of 143 Hotels in Agra
San Jose, California
“Avoid this hotel.”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This review is from our stay a few years back and hopefully things may have changed. We had a terrible experience overall with this hotel from the moment we stepped in. The reception desk had at least 4 staff members on duty when we came in around 7pm. There was no line or guests waiting at the desk yet we had to wait for a half hour before they acknowledged us. While staff was efficient when we finally got service they wanted to hold our passports while we were staying there. I flat out refused and after some back and forth the manager stepped in and said it was not required. We finally got in the room and it smelled like insecticide. By this time it was too late and we were too tired to look for another place and we just wanted to crash for the night. We woke up around 4am to get some water and thats when my wife noticed bedbugs! I tried calling up room service and no one answered. Luckily we were not bitten. This was pretty much the end of our stay. We showered, got dressed and checked out. Nobody at the front desk cared when we complained which did not surprise us. Clearly this hotel is poorly managed and is surviving by just fleecing foreign travelers who are lured here by cab drivers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bayrea_man

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were booked into this hotel as part of the Golden Triangle tour on our last trip to India. Believe me, do not stay here - I sure didn't!

I wouldn't even call this a hotel - more like a hostel. The reception area was deserted when we checked in. I was freaked out just from sitting in the lobby. After some shady staff members took us to the "best room in the hotel" we felt like we were walking into one of those rooms criminals want to hide out in. We had a seedy looking bed, and the washroom was the most disgusting thing I have seen. Rusted faucets, no shower curtain, no toilet paper, no towels.

My husband and I quickly left and asked our tour guide to put us in a tourist class hotel. That's after the harassment we got from the managers who could simply not understand why we were upset. Trust me, I've stayed in my share of budget hotels travelling in India and China. Just don't go with this one.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ian_Trish

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Lucknow
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Starting with the check in.. I reached hotel at late night but i had already inform hotel staff that i will be reaching late, when I reached hotel I tried to call them many time's but they haven't picked up, later after 20-30 minutes one guy came and open the main door of the hotel, that was really bad experience and i was really mad on that guy. Instead of bad service hotel location is good and room was big and clean. One can stay in this hotel if he's ok with bad service......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Rishabh S
Paris, France
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night during my visit to Agra. I honestly don't understand why this place is still open. Almost nothing works, not even basic services such as water in the room. The hotel is huge and maybe it was decent 30 years ago, now it looks abandoned. We were probably the only guests and we booked the room in advance with continental breakfast included..not even jam was available. Moreover it was dirty and I uses my sleeping bag. Restaurant, thanks god, was of course closed.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank SimoAms
London
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Staying at this hotel is kind of like being trapped on the set of 'The Shinning' only the rooms in that film were nice. At Hotel Chanakaya you'll find dirty, damp, frankly disgusting rooms at very expensive prices. If you go down the road you can find a really nice one much cheaper. DON'T STAY THERE! You saw what happened to Jack Nicholson.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank howard b
Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a marriage.As my review for agra is very bad,there were buffalo dung on all the roads even the highway was not cleaned and all the hotels which we saw were just like the roads(eewww).So when i saw this hotel(from the outside)it looked nice(as compared to the other hotels) when we got inside it looked nice there too.The first and second floors were good(i don't know about the other rooms on the floor,i saw only some of them)but unfortunately we got the third floor,which was not good.Okay the walls were not dirty but there were thousands of mosquitoes(big mosquitoes!!) now here are some good points:-
(1)The lift was working so i didn't have to climb the stairs and for the other reviews down there it was your bad luck sorry!
(2)There was hot water but we got there in summer.
(3)The staff was really polite and they washed our car too! yay!!(but took charges,it was only 20/- we didn't mind)
I am only 13 so please don't curse me if i said something not nice :)

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maliha366
Indore
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I am the latest victim...Pls do not even think of this hotel for yr stay....

All the reviews (written previously) are true to the core. I wish, i could have read them before booking the place !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family