“A little far off”

Ranked #23 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Ulm
“A little far off”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Our room (non-ac, ground floor) was basic but spacious and clean. As stated in other reviews it's walls were wet and the whole thing feels more like a bunker than anything else. It takes some time (up to 3min running water) to get hot water from the shower when it works. Wifi was only available at the restaurant in the courtyard - food is not special but good (but party music totally not fits to the scenery).

Our experience with the staff was divided - the two men at the front desk were helpful (we changed the room), but it's not unusual to wait a long time for staff in the restaurant that will be unfriendly anyway.

We stayed for 3 nights (too much for Agra) because we fell sick and stayed a lot in the room and courtyard - not recommendable (TV didn't work in both rooms if you bother). Try to get one room in a hostel close to the Taj, otherwise if you just stay for one night it's not the worst place. Let them show you some rooms on different floors before you decide!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Geneva, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We came for 4 nights to stay in tourist Rest House; we got excellent service and rooms. The free wifi which is very helpful for us.(works in courtyard as well as in some rooms)
The staff is nice and helpful greet you every time and eager to know if everything is ok or not, not every hotel do the same.
The location is excellent: some minutes to taj mahal and Agra fort, 15 min to baby taj and mehatab bagh.
The hotel recommended us for Futehpur Sikri which is awesome and must see, we got a taxi from the hotel at a good price.
In the night we ate in the hotel and it was perfect Indian food as there is no wide choices, but they prepared good food in candle light and with French and English music which is really good.
We had a tour to Rajasthan for 10days and had a nice English speaking driver . They organize us the train tickets for ahead trip.
We can say that it’s an oasis in the town where you can relax and rest, that what I want to say …
We recommend this place to family and friends…

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We returned to this guest house for the second time in two years because they are very welcoming and the facilities are great. They were always happy to provide anything extra we needed and organise transport for us. They have had extra 'deluxe' rooms built on the top floor which are very attracive and comfortable with four poster beds, flat screen TV's and aircon.
The cafe/courtyard is attractive and convenient for meals, although the dinners were not up to restaurant standards. Very handy for breakfast and snacks.

Room Tip: Upper floors are away from cafe noise early or late
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The room was small but rather comfortable. It was also rather clean and all the basic amenities(such as hot water etc.) were working.

In the centre of the hotel is a garden/dining area which does look pretty good at night. The food served is average; portions are not very big but at least it still tastes decent. Atmosphere was pretty relaxing too.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on March 15-17 2014, with my whole family [ kids and my parents] Its a good place to stay especially when you are traveling with your family. Hot water facility round the clock available, staff is courteous and helpful.

The only thing is they prepare the food in the restaurant is either it is for Foreigners or for North Indians. it is not suitable for south Indian, also I felt it is some what costly but it is okay for short trip.

One more observation from my side they more concentrate on foreigner tourists. Not only in this hotel I found this kind of situation in whole Agra.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

OMG such a breath of fresh air. After an "adventure" traveling through Delhi and arriving in Agra... Dealing with trains, people harassing and everyone ignoring our pleas... It was nice to find a welcoming and helpful place. Lots of travelers planning their trip here, and the atmosphere is relaxing. The staff was very helpful. The travel agent at the guest house was very helpful and informative. A true lifesaver. Thanks you! If u are a true traveler I highly recommend it. Mando

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

The guest house confirmed a driver would pick me up from Agra Fort. I gave all the train details including the carriage and seat number. A price of 70 rupees was agreed. I couldn't see a sign for me when I arrived. A rickshaw driver at the station asked where I was staying, I told him Tourists Rest House and he said that they wouldn't turn up. I have been travelling in India for 2.5 months so of course thought that this was the usual nonsense that rickshaw drivers say when you arrive at stations (particularly somewhere like Agra where one would think deception to be rife). I responded saying what would he know etc. He said, fine, wait 15-20 mins but I doubt the driver will appear. Well, he was entirely correct (and I felt mildy sheepish). Furthermore, the guest house, (with whom I had corresponded by email), didn't even bother to email me to ask where I was etc! This was not a problem and I simply got a rickshaw to Taj Ganj area for 70 rupees which is a much better location and I paid less to stay here than quoted for Tourists Rest House. If this was someone who had not travelled in India much, or perhaps was arriving at night, this could be a much more unpleasant experience. My advice for budget accommodation, as many will already know, head to Taj Ganj area where there are loads of budget places within walking distance of South Gate and often with a view of the Taj Mahal from the rooftop restaurants - which I can see now :)

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
anilwad, Manager at Tourists Rest House, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Traveler,
Thanks for writing the review.
we would like to draw your attention on that pickup case, as we don't give pickup from the AGRA FORT station. we have told you that it will be Rs 70 from the train station to our hotel and you need to take a rickshaw outside, we have quoted you the price so that you won't be CHEATED from them.The reason why we don't give pickup is because they used to take COMMISSION from us and they insist us to trap you for the Agra city tour.
We are working since 1965 and till now we haven't insisted customer to take a city tour from them as we want that you should have your choice(incase the tourist want to ask the fair price and any other information we give them).
THE REASON WHY RICHSHAW DRIVER SAY THAT WE WON'T TURN UP IS BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT WE DON'T GIVE PICKUP.
As far as location is consult:
we are just 2 Km from taj mahal.
just 2 km from agra fort
just 5 km from baby taj(from taj ganj its 9 km)
All reputed restaurants just walking distance.
We want that you give us a chance to accomodate you again so that you can enjoy our services better.
Regards

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels