“Bad attitude, worn-out room”

The Grand Imperial, Agra
Ranked #22 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Rotterdam
“Bad attitude, worn-out room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Quite a disappointment but glad I o ly stayed here for a night.
As for the hotel staff I had 2 experiences: first a guy who was more busy with texting his friend than doing his job and the next experience was a very friendly and correct boy.
The room was very dated and did not look very clean. I was glad I was here alone else we'd have to battle over whom would get the small blanket. Barely enough for myself.
I only slept some hours because of the terrible noise. I never had such a noisy room. It was as if cars were honking in my room and I had a stereo switched on.
To round up the story: absolutely not worth the money and glad I did not book an entire weekend here. It was that I prepayed, else I would have thought seriously about checking out straight away after arrival.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Grandimperial, General Manager at The Grand Imperial, Agra, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you, for taking your valuable time out to post your review on trip advisor. We take your feedback very seriously and constructively, and will take action on the same.

The Grand Imperial.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel is directly at the main road and the noise levels are high (general traffic noise). The hotel is more than 100 years old and posters/pictures on the wall depicting the various rulers are very useful for identifying who is who in history. We have had a lovely large room with a four poster bed and a separate sitting area overlooking the garden and pool. The room and the bathroom were very clean. However the water pressure was very variable and the design of the bath means that it is very easy to flood the bathroom. The restaurant was ok (poor lighting, high ceiling but not very spacious), but after eating there twice we explored Agra and we had dinner at the Only restaurant. The breakfast was minimalistic and tailored to the Western tourist taste. There was evening entertainment (one evening dancing at the pool area; other evening folk music at the restaurant). It was our first heritage hotel and we were getting the feel for what to expect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback. Ours is a heritage property, and we try to maintain it to the best of our ability. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Cleveland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had two night stay at The Grand Imperial with my mother while on a visit to India, I read the reviews and thought I can have a pleasant stay but alas except for the Kitchen/service staff I found overall experience very unpleasant.
First and foremost the front desk staff lacked basic elements of hospitality.Neither at check in nor at check out the staff bothered to smile or be welcoming. The guy, I think last name Saxena, was outright rude. This place has no concierge and no other info material available in small lobby for tourists. I asked this manager how I can arrange for local and reliable transport... I was thinking they are in Agra and their main customer traffic is from tourists and thus would have some service available. He stated " Take a tookk-tookk ( Auto Rickshaw) from the street" or a "Bus".... , he did not even offer to call for one. Not much help I am afraid. Later when I asked him to arrange for a cab to travel to another city... he had only one option of a run down Tata Indica at prices I could have gotten luxury sedan in New Delhi !
While checking out ,I paid with cash and I was due back 37 Rupees, the girl at the front desk gave me back 30 and stated " I have no Change"... I have no problem giving money for charity but what is due to a customer should be given back, for God's sake they are supposed to be professionals... was she trying to make some money on the side for herself? !!!!
And while the room was clean the bathroom was another story, they had no towels and I had to ask for them. The Claw foot tub was wobbly and I almost tripped getting out, it was chipping with years of staining.. no way someone would want to soak in it and when you run the shower the curtain does not go all the way around and water runs on floor.The toiletries they had was a big joke, could not read what was on the small bottles since with time the print on them had faded and scratched.
The hotel is off from a main thoroughfare called M.G Road and with traffic running around the clock with persisting honking, you hear all of that in the room and in the garden.
Very poor experience and I will never go back to this place, or refer my family or friends. Were they being lame especially with us because we have Indian heritage and are not "White tourists"??? They better shake down their management.

Room Tip: Do not take rm 116, street noise is high, bathroom desperately needs repair.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dvarya
Grandimperial, General Manager at The Grand Imperial, Agra, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely saddened to know, your views. We assure you, that you will be delighted with your next stay with us. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next visit. you will definitely feel the difference.

Thank you, for your feedback. It helps us to serve you better.

The Grand Imperial

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Visit to Agra is all about Taj and if the same is teamed with a heritage property / hotel, it adds to your experience.
The hotel is a beautiful property and I would definitely recommend the same.
The lunch / dinner at hotel is expensive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We enjoyed having you stay with. We shall look into the matter, of your concern.

General Manager.
The Grand Impeerial
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful hotel! Such charm! The rooms were lovely, high ceilings and a lovely four poster bed!! They had a lovely swimming pool - didn't swim but it was lovely to sit around and dangle your feet into it!

The restaurant was lovely, had a couple of Indian musicians playing. The food was great for a buffet! Very tasty! The breakfast was okay, nothing to special!
The hotel wasn't really close to anything, so you couldn't really go for a walk.
We were there during Diwali, and the hotel brought a lot of fireworks! They put on a lovely show!
The staff were all lovely! Made the stay lovely!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out your valuable time to post your review. We are delighted with your feedback. We look forward to you staying with us again.

The Grand Imperial
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Whilst doing the Golden Triangle trip, we were lucky enough to stay at this wonderful hotel. The welcome you receive is second to none and the flower garlands that were put around our necks on arrival a nice surprise. The room we had was huge, with a four poster bed and a door that opened on to the back garden area and the pool which looked clean and inviting. Unfortunately we arrived a bit too late for a swim. The bathroom has thankfully been kept "old style" and all the over sized fittings and free standing bath added to the charm as did the furniture in the rest of the room. The only thing that spoiled the effect was a phone that has been installed in the bathroom for some bizarre reason, it looks so out of place. The bed was the most comfortable we have had on our stay and I had a great nights sleep.
We also had our evening meal in the restaurant, which was very good. A couple of guys played the zitar and drums which added to the ambiance.
Breakfast was okay, but a little bit limited to what we had been used to in the larger hotels, but there was still a good selection of things. The quality of the coffee was not good however.
This hotel was my favourite from all the hotels we had stayed in during our trip mainly because of the wonderful building itself, which oozed charm from a bygone era. If only it was a bit further from the traffic so you could sit on the front lawn without hearing the constant sound of car horns which was the only thing that spoils it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Woodward01283
Grandimperial, General Manager at The Grand Imperial, Agra, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time, out to, post your review on Trip Advisor. We are very delighted, that you had a wonderful time at The Grand Imperial.

Our endeavor, to make a memorable stay for all our guests.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We got a giant room with a little saloon on the poolside, very quiet and excellent. Garden and pool very huge and well attended. Staff nice and helpful.The only Problem, the Hotel is quite far from the city center, so you cannot walk, you always need a taxi or driver to get somewhere. We enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 12wiesen
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. All efforts are taken to maintain the hotel in its magnificence and charm.