“Don't bother.”
Review of Hotel Taj Plaza

Hotel Taj Plaza
Ranked #106 of 144 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed January 18, 2009

They promised a bus station pick-up that didn't happen -- we emailed twice and called them before we arrived to confirm this. The hotel didn't apologize, only gave excuses as to why they didn't pick us up. Next, the room they gave us had some problems -- the door and the tv were broken. When I asked if we could switch rooms they told us we couldn't because the hotel was full -- it wasn't and I when I asked about this they said, "Oh, maybe we do have another room." The day before we left we asked if they could buy us tickets to Delhi, which they said they could. We told them the time we wanted to go and we paid them. The price was higher than we expected, and they threw on a hefty "reservation fee." After dinner that night we asked again if they got the tickets -- "yes, yes, they'll be here in the morning when you leave." The next morning we ask the front desk about the tickets and they tell us they have no idea about ordering us any tickets, so we ask to speak to the manager who calls the guy who was working the day before and he tells us, "oh, no problem, we called ahead and reserved the ticekts". This way a lie and I knew it -- when the hotel driver was ready to leave I saw the guy at the front desk hand him the money and tell him to buy two tickets to Delhi. I called him on this and totally busted him. They had no intension of buying our tickets beforhead -- even though they charged us the 100Rs "reservation fee" which was on top of the already overpriced tickets. Again, no apologies, just excuses. I managed to get all my money back and we took an autorickshaw on the street instead of their driver. It was almost 300Rs cheaper to do it ourselves. Absolute shysters!

On a positive note, the hotel had a very friendly doorman, and the guys working up on the rooftop restaurant were nice too. That, and it was a very short walk to the Taj. For these two reason I give the Taj Palace Hotel 2 stars.

Bottom line, I would avoid this place based on the front desks' dishonesty and lack of customer service skills. I'm sure there are other, better places in town.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Ceclix

Reviewed January 17, 2009

the only good thing about this hotel is the location,it was probably the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in .
the rooms are around a open stairwell and every sound echoes around the hotel such as the staff shouting to each other and dragging furniture around at 5am--we had no sleep for the 2 nights we were there!
the restaurant is very poor-probably the worst we encountered on our 3 week trip around india.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2009

On the face of it, quite a nice hotel although both room & hotel facilities are fairly basic. It is close to the Taj & has good views from the roof, BUT........
Hot water only in the morning
Restaurant poor
Central atrium with tiled floors sends noise echoing all around the hotel. For 2 nights we had noisy guests & everyone in the hotel must have shared them.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Just returned from 3 weeks travelling India and although the Taj Plaza was adequate, my only disappointments during my tour came from my stay here. Had pre-booked a Taj facing room at a pre-determined rate but upon arrival had to re-negotiate that rate for the room that I had asked for based on posted pictures (if you want a Taj view, I checked most rooms out and unless you want a krink in your neck, go for room 305 which was pretty good - from your bed, you can see in the early morning, the Taj emerging from "the fog" {I am that naive}). Most disappointing though was pre-booking a car through the hotel to pick me up from Delhi at a hefty price and then being told upon check-out that I would need to pay an extra 300 rupees as the driver arrived at Delhi at 7 AM to pick me up as opposed to 7 pm as I had indicated via e-mail. Even though I showed them my copy of the e-mail, they said our mistake but still expected me to anti up. Left a bit of a sour taste. That said, proximity is great, the front doorman is a super nice fellow with a most welcoming demeanor and the restaurant had the best naan bread I tasted while in India. Just make sure you have copies of all correspondance and question if unsure.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank traveldad11
Reviewed December 27, 2008

The rooms are basic with a tv, air con and shower en-suite. We did pay extra for the Taj facing room but I wouldn’t bother as you get a better view from the roof top restaurant for free!

The hotel situation is the best by far, it sits right next to a very expensive hotel which I imagine charges 10x the cost of this one and your only going to stay 1 or 2 nights!

Reviewed December 11, 2008

Yes, the hotel is very close to the eastern and less crowded entrance to the Taj Mahal. Adjacent to the affluent Oberoi Amarvilas, it takes Rs 100/- for a 2-way cycle rickshaw ride to the Taj Mahal gate. The ride takes about 7 minutes each way. As no other motorable transport is allowed incase one is not inclined to walk, cycle rickshaws take you to the Monument entrance.

The hotel has no other reason to boast about itself. The rooms do not seem to have clean bed linen and the washrooms one would expect in a hotel so near the magnificent Taj in Agra! The food and restaurant are ordinary while for hot water in winters one has to intimate the reception in advance so that they get the boilers running. There are no elevators which could bother the elderly.

This hotel works out well for people on an overnight stay at Agra who wish to see the Taj in the evening and catch it at sunrise next morning as well. The Taj Mahal is open from 6 am to 6 pm. Wheelchair facility is also available for about Rs. 200/- outside the Taj Mahal. Security posted at the gate is able to guide the tourist on this. Visitors should note that while cameras and mobiles are allowed, not much else in ladies purses should be carried inside for their own convenience.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights. We reserved a room with a view of the Taj Mahal. The view and proximity to Taj was great (an easy walk), restaurant food is decent, and the guy working the rooftop restaurant is really nice and loves to chat with guests, but that's about the extent of our praises.

Our first room was pretty dirty but somewhat within range of what could be considered a budget accommodation. The "clean" sheets & pillows were littered with short dark hairs as if someone had taken a nap in our bed before we got there. The bathroom was pretty dirty (shower sandals recommended). We were first given room 405. I noticed the open-air bathroom window led directly to the roof. Hearing noise up there I went to inspect, and sure enough the guy that sits in the boiler room just above the balcony restaurant (and anyone else who walks up there) can peer directly into our shower.

We then requested to move to another room down the hall. This cured the peeping tom issue and we were assured everything in this room was 100% new. It was the same caliber as the previous room. More hairs in the bed but this time the open-air window only led to the bathroom next to us so you could hear every shower, flush, and other noises your neighbor makes in the bathroom.

Otherwise, each room had a mid-sized television with a decent channel selection. The 5star Amarvilas hotel next door is good for a drink at the bar or dinner but you get a snooty attitude when you tell them you are not a guest at their $600-$3,000 per night hotel (which is a ghost town because nobody is willing to pay that).

The front desk is helpful. They reserved us an insane driver for a day (even by India's standards) but were apologetic once we told them of our horrific experience.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jeff-Dez