“We could not stay there!!!”

Hotel Ashish Palace
Ranked #107 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Dubai, UAE
“We could not stay there!!!”
Reviewed January 9, 2008

The experience of a person who wrote the review is exactly like ours. We checked out in our hour after our arrival there.
The room was dirty, I found hairs and fresh stains on the linens, the bathroom towels were dark grey color, they used to be white one day. When we told reception that the room was dirty their reaction was so normal, as it was a usual case there. The other room they gave us was the same. We left the hotel straightly and went to Man Singh, which was like a paradize after that dirty hole.
Try to find something else in Agra, really, the hotel is terrible and not new at all and very dirty.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
, Director of Sales at Hotel Ashish Palace, responded to this review, February 9, 2017

Greetings from Hotel Ashish Palace, Agra !!!!

Thank you for taking out time to post your reviews on Tripadvisor. It is with regret that I note the disappointment with various aspects of attention, for which we sincerely apologies.

Your feedback is taken very positively, and seriously as it enables us to improve our services, which we endeavor to provide to all our guests. We sincerely apologize once again.

My team and I look forward for an opportunity to make your next stay a positively memorable one.

HOTEL ASHISH PALACE, AGRA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, UK
Reviewed December 31, 2007

We travelled in the north of India for a month and had rooms ranging from 450rps to 2500 rps a night - this was 1200rps and classed as 'mid range' in the LP - the review said something like 'new and clean' in a book from 2006. It was neither.
The check in staff were inefficient and dismissive - we were told on the phone that the room would be 1000, but it was actually 1200. When we got to the room (with the porters we said we didn't want and who hung around for a good 5 minutes waiting for cash we did not give them) we had been given a family room with a double and a sofa bed. The sheets looked clean after a fashion but smelled used, the pillows were dirty as were the towels. The shower/bath hadn't been cleaned, there were used soap bars and hairs all over the place. The restaurant looked shabby too, though we didn't use it.
The porter returned with a bottle of water 5 minutes after he left. We took it, said thanks and closed the door. 5 minutes later he was back asking for 50 rps! For a bottle that would cost at worst 15rps. We gave the unopened bottle back.
There was a fridge in the room which was empty bar some half drained bottles of water - definitely hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The rooms are set around the stairwell and the whole place is marble so it's loud and chilly - the staff were shouting between floors and across hallways most of the night and the other guests were noisy too.
We stayed one night instead of two as planned - I don't usually pan places but I really thought this place was awful. We moved to the 600rps a night Sheela Inn whih was great, much cleaner, really helpful and friendly staff, great rooftop basic restaurant with Taj View - basic (no towels) but much better. I think another reviewer had it right - either go top end, or just accept clean and basic budget - the in between is a poor alternative.
Don't go to the Ashish - it's pants.

• Liked — The review in LP
  • Disliked — The reality

HOTEL ASHISH PALACE, AGRA

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Oxford
Reviewed December 15, 2007

I stayed at this place for one night, and it was terrible. Firstly, the bed sheets had not been replaced when we arrived and where full of stains and even pubic hair. I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, the sheets got changed when we complained. There were further problems, however. The bathroom wasn't clean, the sink wasn't cleaned properly, the shower head fell of when I touched it (there was only very little hot water), there were no towels and the one's we got when I asked for them left me covered with fluff after usage (presumably poor quality and new/unwashed) the room had windows which were blinded with paint, so the room had no daylight, there was only very little toilet paper, so we had to ask for more, and it was incredibly loud with a landline ringing outside our room all night long and voices in the common room which is just in the center of the building outside the guest rooms. No sleep without earplugs.

Don't bother about this hotel, if you have the cash to avoid it. If you don't have the cash, don't travel! :-)

1 Thank noname222

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Here's the thing about Agra. You have to spend money on accommodation, because every inexpensive hotel pretty much sucks.

Don't make the mistake I did and choose a "midrange" hotel from Lonely Planet. Midrange in Agra equates to bottom of the range everywhere else.

A quick aside on Agra. Many people will advise you to make Agra a day-trip from Delhi rather than staying over. I disagree. To see the Taj Mahal (especially at sunrise or sunset) and the Red Fort and Fatepuhr Sikri you need to stay over for at least one night. The road trip alone to get there (if you hire a car and driver in Delhi) takes around 5 hours, so sleeping in Agra is essential.

In the car on the way to Agra I consulted my trusty Lonely Planet and booked a room at the Ashish so-called Palace Hotel.

What a complete dive. If you arrive in your hotel room to find that the toilet has been sealed with tape to assure you that it's been cleaned - Sure Sign Of A Skanky Hotel.

When you open the wardrobe to find food (yes!) that a previous occupant left there, you know for sure it's not cleaned very thoroughly.

Okay those, and cold water only in the shower, were the worst things.

On the plus side? Fairly central location. Friendly staff. A free place to stay for your driver so he doesn't have to sleep in your car.

Also, there is a central lounge area upstairs that was unused when I was there but looks like it could be fun for the backpacker crowd in season. But then, the Hotel Ashish "Palace" charges more than backpacker rates.

Overall, a cleanish hotel but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Liked — Quite close by rickshaw to the Taj Mahal, free place to sleep for my driver
  • Disliked — A sense of dirtiness, total lack of any redeeming stylishness, cold water
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank ExploreFirst

boston usa
Reviewed May 6, 2007

The hotel was fine. It was really basic. All about it was the room. It was pretty big and clean enough. Nothing really special to report here. Staff were pretty much oblivious to you. Again, check on what room you are to take. Book nothing blindly. They gave me a discount in the door so that was good. Food was basic and there was no internet or std phone. It's okay- a place to lay your head where you'll encounter no trouble. I had a good night there because there was a wedding downstairs and that looked great.

As I said, good basic but not many extras.

• Liked — Fairly new
  • Disliked — No extras
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tribesman_76

London, UK
Reviewed January 31, 2007

I booked 2 nights directly with the hotel by fax + email. Communication was efficient and there was no problem explaning that I wanted a non-smoking room with double bed. That's exactly what I got. I arrived into Agra by train earlier than I expected (my fault as I confused the arrival times on my train ticket) so the pick-up that I arranged from the hotel was not waiting for me there. So I grabbed a taxi from the Taxi Booth (which was a bit stressful but mainly due to the fact that it was my first train journey in India and I wasn't sure how it all worked). The Front Desk was very sympathetic about me confusing the arrival time and having had to get my own transportation but since it was my own fault, I had no problem with it. Still, it was nice of them to show me so much empathy.

I had to wait for an hour to have my room ready which, again, I didn't mind as I was checking in at 10 am instead of 12 noon. There was a big Indian wedding party staying at the hotel the night before so it was very hectic and the staff was very busy. My room was on 4th Floor next to the lifts. At first, I did not like the proximity to the lifts but then I figured that's not a bad thing as I was travelling on my own. The room itself was spacious, clean and had all basic necessities.

I read the previous review which said that the room was not clean enough. Well, guys, it's India and unless you are staying at the 5-star hotel, you kind of have to bend your expectations a little. So my room was not dirty, the floors were freshly mopped, the toilet was a bit old but clean, and the shower room was fine. All in all, it is a good basic hotel with good rates.

I had the room service both mornings of my stay and the tea masala arrived quickly, tasted great and there was no problem whatsoever.

I would stay there again: the location is great, rooms are fine, I don't care about the "service" for as long as I don't have to wait around for too long and people smile.

Stayed November 2006
8 Thank Anna_von_M
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Ashish Palace, Agra !!!

Thank you for staying with us and then for writing so positively on tripadvisor.in

This is the response we really work for and would like from all our guests. It is the ultimate pat on our back.

We hope you come back again and give us another chance to serve you.

Aabid Khan
Manager (Sales & Reservations)
Mobile No. +91 7417979291
Email - sales@hotelashishpalace.net

London
Reviewed December 28, 2006

We booked a few nights here after seeing a glowing review in our guide book. It looked like a completely different place to the one described in the book. The first thing you notice is the smell on entering the building, an unpleasant musty/mouldyness. The staff were ok on registering but there wasn't much recognition or notice taken of you after that. The room stank much the same as the lobby and had various stains down the walls. The bathroom didn't appear to have been cleaned since it was first built and had a permanent colletion of small black flies in the shower, really nasty. The sheets weren't clean and the blankets didn't seem to have been washed in some time. There is a fridge and tv in the room. They claim to have room service. We ordered some tea, which took half an hour to come, when it did it was in a disgusting plastic pot which still had coffee in it from the last use and made the tea undrinkable. We called and asked for it to be replaced, after an hour and another phone call we eventually took it downstairs to the restaurant just to get rid of it. We never bothered with room service again and didn't use the restaurant. Over all a very overpriced hotel doing well on a good write up in a popular guide book, would definately not go back.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple