“Never again..!!!”

Ranked #67 of 144 Hotels in Agra
Zurich, Switzerland
“Never again..!!!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I booked a double room for 500 rs for one night. After being taken to the room, however, I was told the room was 600 rs. When I said I had prebooked online through their website for 500 rs, the staff complained and asked for 600 rs payment asap. I had to go to the manager, find the email confirmation on my phone and show it to him to "prove" I had a confirmed room for 500 rs. After this, the manager tried to cover up saying I must not tell the other guests I am paying 500 rs instead of more!? Their attitude also turned really sour after we showed the email and didn't improve at all. The location is great (close to Taj), but the room was absolutely terrible on top of the dishonest service. The bed sheets had many holes, the bathroom was not hygenic and the beds were hard. I'm just glad we were there for only one night before moving on. If we had more time, we would have looked for a better place to stay. We ate at Shanti Lodge that night, where the staff were more helpful and friendly (though not sure what the rooms are like). Sheela is definitely not recommended!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nontron, France
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I'd booked 2 nights at Sheela Hotel, received confirmation via email. When I got there, the manager checked his register, and told me I was going to his other hotel "Sheela Inn", "only 700m from here", he sent me there on a rickshaw. The manager there was not friendly or welcoming at all, and wanted to charge me more than the room I booked at Sheela, for a dull room in a hotel more than 1km from the Taj.
When you look at Sheela Inn reviews, you can see that they tend to do that often, so be warned if you book with them...
Terrible service!

Room Tip: Be careful, you might end up in Sheela Inn..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Charleloose

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Hotel Sheela is a 1 minute walk from the Taj Mahal East Gate! However, the ticketing office for the Taj Mahal is a 10-15 minute walk in the opposite direction. (Take a left out of the hotel and walk straight). Rooms are basic, generally clean and very affordable. One thing of note: your taxi cannot drive all the way down the street where Hotel Sheela is located. You will have to get out and walk five minutes (or take a cycle rickshaw) to get to the hotel. Not a big deal, but good to know in advance so there is no confusion. I would definitely recommend this place for all budget travelers.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm here Jan 2012 with my mom and sis. In term of the facility I can describe as so-so, cleanness of the blanket is totally inappropriate (you can smell the "acar"), in term of hot water you need to wait 10-15 minutes and it only for a while. Owh another one more thing they don't have heater in the room. Jan is very cold and we came from Malaysia and not really expose to this kind of whether.

In term of hospitality yes all of them is very helpful. Food owh yes they have very tasteful Indian food.

Walking distance to Taj what made us select this place and still within our budget.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Annecy, France
Reviewed November 20, 2012

AT our arrival, the personal at the reception was not reallyt friendly compared to all very nice people in guesthouses we met during our 2 weeks travel.
At the first impression the room seemed to be ok but at 5 o'clock in the night, we discover a big rat in the room. Once we switched on the light he escaped by a hole in the main door.
It was really disgusting and the guy at the reception did not seemed to be disturbed by that.
We were at the room 103 (located on the ground floor in the main path of the hotel entrance) and we paid 1000 rp.
Definitely to be avoided.

1 Thank valerie c
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Be carefule there are 2 Hotel Sheela's from the same owner. We stayed in the newer one, which is about 800 meters away from the East gate, which is actually better as this gate is the only one you don't buy the tickets directly at the gate, but at the ticket office which is the opposite direction.
Room was basic, bathroom not very clean, shower in the middle of the bathroom without curtain, AC does not work in November. Don't try the food in the roof tool restaurant - breakfast ok, but the rest is terrible and not eatable, it actually makes you sick.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Most people go to Agra for a short time in order to see the Taj Mahal. For this, Hotel Sheela is perfect. It's very close to one of the Taj's entrances and provides an oasis of calm in which to stay. We stayed in a basic room which was fine (October - no aircon needed). The rooms were basic but clean. If you want luxurious all all the mod cons then go to the Oberoi but for around £8 per night Sheela can't be beaten. There is a lovely garden outside that serves good, reasonably priced food - especially nice with candle light in the evening. A great place to read and chill. I recommend you walk to the Shanti Lodge for a sundowner with a great view of the Taj Mahal.

I also recommend anyone to walk around the Kinari Bazar area of the town. Great to see a slice of the real Agra without all of the tourists - a real highlight! Oh and the Taj Mahal really is breathtaking!

Room Tip: Basic rooms are fine if no aircon is needed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple