“seems to be a tour stop, but they have some beautiful items”

Akbar International
Ranked #112 of 253 Tours in Agra
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I visited Akbar International on a recent day tour to Agra from Delhi, and as other reviewers have mentioned, my tour guide took me to Akbar International after my visit to the Taj. As others have mentioned, the Akbar visit starts with an interesting demonstration of marble carving and inlaying, then moves to the showroom with large marble items. While those items were very nice, I said they were out of my price range, and then I was shown to other rooms with smaller items (this theme of large items first was repeated later on another tour). There really are a large variety of items as well as a large range in detail at Akbar, so while you can easily spend thousands of dollars on large table tops you can also get very nice marble coasters in the $20-30 range. In my case the salesman noted which design themes I liked and was quite helpful at showing me items that matched my tastes. I was slightly annoyed that my tour dropped me at a shop without asking, but I did buy items for myself and my wife, and for colleagues, so overall I was happy to have visited Akbar International. Just expect it, browse, bargain, and bring home some beautiful souvenirs in your price range.

All reviews
"coasters"
"showroom"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our travel guide took us to this shop in Agra. First, we were given a demonstration of the work involved in creating the inlaid marble pieces -- incredible amount of labor. Then, over tea, coffee and soft drinks, the owner described in more detail the workmanship and costs.
The shop contains a large assortment of table tops, wall decorations, etc.
In a separate room, there are smaller pieces (jewelry cases, coasters, etc.).
There was no pressure to buy anything, so worth visit just to see what's involved in making the inlaid marble.
But, if you show interest in buying, expect salesman to work hard to come to terms with you on price. The initial discount offered will likely be 10%. But, you may be able to get 20% or maybe more. Don't be in a hurry as the discount will increase as the time nears for your group to leave.
The table top comes with teak stand and underneath lighting (if you ask).
Delivery to home was included in price and it was received within 2 weeks.
If you buy something to be delivered, you should sign back of item and take a picture -- just to be sure.

2  Thank MMfromAustin
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Look - went here on my first day to Agra - was taken by my tour guide who swore it was the place to go (later realized he had a thing going with them).

Nice stuff - but overpriced by 100%. I was under the impression it was a government shop. It was not - so I overpaid - by alot (given that he didn't have a lot of room).

So 1) I was a sucker; 2) don't let it happen to you.

7  Thank bajdmba
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Akbar International is a little piece of the Taj Mahal to take home and give as a gift. When you arrive the artisans demonstrate the unique technique of creating the stones used to decorate the walls of the Taj Mahal. They sell many nice gifts including jewelry boxes, trivets, etc. made of marble with beautiful stone inlays. There is something in the price range for everyone.