“Nineteen Seventies or Nineteenth Century”
Review of Hotel Marina

Hotel Marina
Ranked #100 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Nineteen Seventies or Nineteenth Century”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel came as part of a private tour package. It is strangely named being nowhere near any water.
On arrival we were not sure if the hotel dated from the nineteen seventies or the nineteenth century. Its marble floors, dark lobby and paint peeling from walls and ceiling due to damp gave it a colonial appearance.
It is not really a bad hotel, but the dark colours, limited facilities and unsmiling staff created a thoroughly depressing atmosphere, guaranteed to cancel out the euphoria of having just visited the Taj Mahal.
We had a large room with a huge bed, and the TV, air conditioning and bathroom, although old, still worked. However, the bedding and curtains had seen better days, and the room was damp.
Our room was on the second floor at the rear of the hotel. Our “view” was a dilapidated motorcycle repair shop and a litter-strewn street. The local pack of dogs howled, fought and barked all night below our window, which, being single glazed, offer no sound insulation. It may be quieter on the higher floors, but earplugs are recommended as a precaustion.
The restaurant served a typical “Golden Triangle” dinner buffet, and quality and price were fine. Three attempts to get milk to make tea in our room failed, and the procedure for accessing WiFi was equally difficult.
Would we stay there again? Not if there was an alternative available! After a great day in Agra, Hotel Marina was a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a night as other better rated hotels were sold out due to extended weekend in August 2012. Nothing much to write about it. Old property, decade old TV set with analog signals. The whole room was damp with moisture. Checked other rooms and they too had the same problem. Food was good and palatable.

Try other star category hotels which are available at the same price and are much better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Pune
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a great experience on my wedding ceremony at Hotel Marina, Agra on 29th June 12; I was very satisfied with all the arrangements and the packages which hotel offered me. I really appreciate the way as the banquet manager Mr. Abhash managed my wedding; He let me pick exactly what I wanted; He explained me everything in very transparent way and executed them in very perfect manner as I expected. Every aspect was perfect on wedding day; I was able to customize my ceremony to fit my desires and make it very personal; this all happened because of banquet Manager Mr Abhash. My guests stayed their for 3 days, I didn't hear any sort complain from them for their stay; their stay was fine. Thanks to Mr. Abash!! for his wonderful job.

Thanks,
Ajit

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were a large group of 6 that stayed at the Marina, Agra. It is centrally located in Agra and quite close to the Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort. The Rooms were adequate and clean and the service prompt. This hotel primarily caters to the package tourist and was a host to quite a large group of foreign tourists during our stay. The Food was about average in the buffet and the breakfast was mainly continental and quite substantial. Overall a decent stay for a short trip.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tekumallakarthik
Marathi manoos
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Hotel Marina is different than many other Agra hotels. Its a business hotel located near the business district. Hence very less number of tourists are seen around. Staff is courteous and service is reasonably fast.

Food is better than average and served quite fast compared to many other hotels in this category. Rooms are quite and reasonably clean. When checked in, the mini bar was empty. Initially there were some issue with the card enabled ele. switch but it worked. May be because we were guests of an eminent person the service and attention we received was good.

i just stayed there for a night but experience was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank canpush
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I expect to write reviews of hotels which has some bit of goodness in it. This is the worst hotel I had come up during my travels. I received a room filled with dust. Added to it the electrical had issue. And not to mention the WC was pale yellow in color which is never expected from a property. Hotel Marina is no longer a part of Holiday Inn and hence this is my first review in which I would add a word of caution to fellow travelers. Look out for other hotels.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property is all I can recommend
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank way2anand
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This was the worst hotel I stayed in India.
(1) Staffs of the hotel behaves as if they own the whole hotel. They don't respond to any of our complaints seriously. Our problems seems to be their jokes. Low standard of performance. Tips seemed to be the only thing they cared.
(2) Blackouts, I only stayed there for two nights and the few times of blackouts I experienced in the hotel was just unacceptable.
(3) Hotel garden at the 3rd floor was just filled with so much bird droppings that you would avoid, though it was kind of a common thing in India.

Room Tip: Please do not be fooled by the travel agents or internet that IT WAS Holiday Inn BEFORE, because, it...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family