The Gateway Hotel, Agra
$33
$27
Travelocity
2,179 results
All reviewstaj viewtaj groupindian restaurantpuppet showrooftop barswimming poolcoffee shopan upgradeexcellent hospitalityrestaurant stafffront officered fortcourteous staffbuffet breakfastcomfortable stayskydeckgad
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I wrote a review for the Gateway last year following a brief trip to the Taj Mahal. I gave the hotel three stars on that occasion as I was rather underwhelmed with the place and had a few wee gripes.

Returning to the Taj with my partner this year I again chose the Gateway as others were fully booked. I can't say that I was particularly excited to return but I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. My partner actually felt it was better, more authentic and laid back that the Trident, Gurgaon (which is superb).

The room was large, spacious and extremely comfortable. We only stayed one night so elected for a room with a view of the Taj. We were on the 3rd floor so the view was slightly obstructed by a building opposite us. My room last year was dated, small and just adequate. This room was considerably better and perfectly decorated. Last year I was glad to leave the room, this year we were happy to relax in it.

The big change this year is the opening of their roof top terrace on the 6th floor, with stunning views of the Taj. This was the perfect spot to sit and watch the chaotic life around Agra, see the distant Red Fort, enjoy the sunset and gaze at the magnificent Taj. As well as having drinks on the terrace the hotel also offers dinner. We would have gone for this but the mosquitos were just a little too aggressive and we'd forgotten our spray. It's worth staying at the hotel for the terrace alone, though this was not the only reason for the good review.

The staff were superb - very friendly, polite, attentive, efficient and delightfully relaxed and engaging. Less stuffy than you'll find in other hotels but still providing great service.

I complained in my previous review about the level of noise from the road in front of the hotel. Whilst it was still noticeable from the room we didn't hear it at all at night.

We opted against the Indian restaurant and used the buffet option for dinner and breakfast. No complaints about the food either time, absolutely fine for a buffet and with plenty of variety on offer.

One final nice touch. My partner had been talking to a waiter about a particular sweet dish they brought us. A few moments later the head chef appeared and asked if we would like to make some in the kitchen. Next thing you know we're wearing chef's hats and escorted to the kitchen to make the dish. What a great experience and memory.

There are certainly better hotels in Agra but for the price the Gateway charges I can highly recommend a stay here - views of the Taj, only 3 mins drive to the Taj and outstanding service.

Sent from my iPad

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to be of service to you during your visit to Agra.

I am sincerely are grateful for your time taken in posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to read your compliments on the cooking session conducted by the chef for you and the improvements carried out in the hotel as compared to your last visit

It is our endeavor to provide our guest with the highest level of comfort and to make their stay memorable and your appreciation is indeed rewarding.

I thank you once again for this wonderful review of our hotel and look forward to the delight of having more opportunities to be of service to you

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Perfect for the start of our trip round Rajasthan. Great view of the Taj from our top floor room and good location for seeing the sites in and around Agra. Rooms, staff and food what you expect from a hotel of this stature.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Taj.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Greetings from Agra

I would like to express my gratitude for your valuable feedback.
I have shared your kind word of appreciation with the Front Office and housekeeping team for providing a room as per your preference and also with the F & B team for meeting your expectations in terms of the food . They were extremely happy to know that they have been able to meet your requirements.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

What a stay!! Absolutely loved it..

It was one of the best time we had in a pool. We had booked for 6 as all friends outing. It was such an amazing stay as the staff was very attentive and the rooms were huge with 2 double master beds. We had so much space to relax and unwind. The SPA was just perfect.
Breakfast was continental with so much variety and taste.
I already recommend to all my family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for extra spacious with king size beds. Also for Taj Mahal facing, early mornings are so beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Mam,

Greetings from Agra

I am thankful for your kind words of appreciation for our hotel and services.

I have shared your appreciation for our services with the entire hotel team and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our second favourite hotel out of four (the first being Dev Vilas at Ranthambore) on our tour of the Golden Triangle and Ranthambore. Like most chain hotels the Taj Gateway somewhat lacked charm and character, but it was spotlessly clean and comfortable and the service was good. The food was good though slightly expensive as to be expected in such places. Wine is extortionately priced in India (top tip: take a wine box in your suitcase if you're a wine drinker) but saying that we did splash out and enjoyed a bottle of local white wine (Sula) on the roof top which has STUNNING views of the Taj Mahal and Agra as the sun set. It's got to be done! The hotel also has a lovely pool and extensive, well manicured gardens to relax in before breakfast or after a days sightseeing.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and lovely gardens, very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mam,

Greetings from Agra

I am thankful for your valuable feedback .

I have noted down your concern about the pricing of the food and especially the wine and would like to inform you that the win prices are high because of the Tax structure in the state.

I am also delighted to know that you had a lovely time at our roof top restaurant SKYDECK from where you can enjoy view of Taj Mahal and Agra fort while having your meals.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

we stayed there for 2 nights when we went to see taj mahal and amber fort. the hotel is nice, the rooms large with a good view of taj mahal, the pool is good and the food fine. the service is good too.

• Stayed: April 2013

Greetings from Agra

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I have shared your words of appreciation with the SPA, and Food and beverage team.They were extremely delighted to know that they were able to meet your expectations.

Your kind words will definitely motivate the entire team to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.