“OK hotel”

Ranked #10 of 145 Hotels in Agra
San Francisco, California
“OK hotel”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel was OK. I ended up paying more than I thought it was worth, as I left booking too late, and this hotel was the only one left that wasn't a homestay on the one night I had in Agra. I'm trying not to let that affect my review too much, however even with the high amount of my bill, I still paid half of rack rate, so be sure you're not paying any more than that when you go!

They are currently renovating the second floor, so perhaps they hadn't gotten up to my room yet. It definitely needed renovation and had a damp smell. I was in a suite with a Taj view, however it was too foggy to properly see the Taj, and as some other reviewers have commented, the room was REALLY noisy, so in my personal opinion, if I went back, I'd ask for a garden view room - as the view of the Taj isn't worth the extra price (you're going to see it properly whilst you're there anyway) and I'd imagine the garden view rooms are much quieter.

Pro's: The garden is really lovely and the hotel has a gym and a pool (note, the staff tell you the gym is 24/7, but that means that if you want to access it after 9pm, or before 6am, you need to go to reception and ask for a key). There are magicians and puppeteers in the evening, which are probably good if you have kids. There are yoga mats in the rooms, and the staff are very friendly.
Cons: Room was noisy, damp, and visibly aging (as noted, they are renovating, so this may be fixed soon). My shower was broken, and when fixed, water pressure remained bad. When I arrived, I only had one towel in my room. I asked for extra towels, and arrived back to my room to find a single extra towel (Agra is hot, and you walk about a fair bit... expect to take a couple of showers a day!), so again had to ask for more.

In all, this hotel wasn't my cup of tea. If I went back, I'd book a room earlier and stay at the Oberoi. If I'm going to be gauged on price, I want it to be worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Inauguration of new express way from New Delhi - Noida to Agra has made Hotels in Agra busy for some time ! The Express way reduces the journey time significantly by at least two hours to Agra. Its always a good idea specifically due to poor weather most of the year in Agra- to stay overnight - plan to see the Taj Mahal in either moon light or early morning. Agra Fort visit on same day - in the evening with Sound and Light Show at 1915 Hrs. I believe this is best way to spend evening Day 1 and visit Taj early morning pre-breakfast is best idea- due to heat - dust - humidity most of the year !

Stay at Gateway Agra Hotel-managed by Tata's is best and relaxing.

Room we stayed was comfortable with excellent house keeping. Specially offer of laundry at just $ 12 for any 10 clothes.You could dry clean in about 2-3 hours all your dirty clothes unlike US or Europe !
Taj Mahal is close and so is Agra Fort - Gate way has location advantage,

Food breakfast is excellent,
Have food only in Coffee shop as the Punjabi -Indian is understaffed and poor service. Best is the Bar ! Taj culture of excellent and efficient staff makes the stay pleasant.

Room Tip: Chose floor 5, and any side - pool side or road side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MADHUKAR K
Rockport, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel was recommended to us by friends and we were not disappointed. We arrived fairly late in the evening, and on entering our room we could see the Taj Mahal through the window which was a magical moment. The room was very clean and tidy with the usual amenities that you would expect in this price range, although throughout our stay in India, we never really got used to having to pay for WiFi, but as we discovered this seems to be the norm in India, even at the most expensive hotels.
I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet (my favorite meal) and rather overindulged!
We stayed two nights and the staff were friendly and helpful in answering our questions. We did have to call housekeeping on one occasion for a minor issue (light bulb), and this was taken care of promptly, as was our laundry.
The hotel is in a good location with nice grounds, and a short drive from the Taj and the other major sites. Will probably never have the opportunity to go back, but would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Well worth the relatively small extra cost for a Taj view room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Convenient to the Taj Mahal, the Red Fort, everything nearby...... Good breakfast buffet, excellent rooms (and mattress), and service. Restaurant food was also quite good, but even though it is surrounded by 6 acres of gardens, the noise level is poor. Maybe it was the wedding nearby. But then, there are always weddings in India.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. I don't know where that would be, but I'm sure all the hotels in the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoyaDenver_Colorado
Singapore
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Gateway hotel boasts views of the Taj Mahal from the front facing rooms and our first glimpse of the monument came from the window of our room 406. This alone makes it a special hotel, along with the welcome mangoes in the room (so tender and sweet!). The Gateway is busy with groups of western tourists, but the staff were friendly and the service was excellent. The room featured a lot of local touches, such as inlaid marble and silk decoration. The public areas were very tastefully decorated with traditional handicrafts, and the lifts were efficient. The rooms come with a kettle for tea and coffee making, and a shower and small tub. We paid for Wifi in the room using rather a confusing pricing schedule (Half an hour? One hour? Two hours? Six hours? 24 hours?), but it worked.

There is a pool, and a gym and a spa. The gym is limited, with more cardio equipment than weights. The headphones on the treadmill are very high quality however – unusual to see. There was a small locked cupboard of books by the terrace.

There are two restaurants, which feature a magician in the evening outside, and a stone cutter in the morning. Breakfast was good, with some excellent yoghurts, omelettes cooked to order and a good mix of cuisines, both Indian and international. The fruit smoothies were ridiculously sweet, however, and the lack of water available at the buffet meant we had to buy a bottle, which is a little annoying.

Room Tip: Get a Taj facing room or regret it for the rest of your life!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank George H
Paris, France
Reviewed July 20, 2012

After a night in a hotel which smelt horrible and had no window, we booked a room in this one.

We had a superior room with a Taj Mahal view and it was great : the view was amazing, the room was clean and quiet.

The staff was attentive and nice : they offered us a drink when we arrived, they brought us apples in the room, on the morning we had newspapers...

I also had a lovely back massage at the spa and ate at the restaurant which was fine (but quite expensive...).

We had a lovely stay and hope we will come back

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saezelle
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We arrived without a reservation, having made a booking at a homestay that was not really habitable. Agra as a city is a sad, neglected and, I might assume, dangerous place. Sad because the Taj and other sites are so magnificent. But the Gateway is an oasis in the chaos. The service is warm, the rooms (we also were upgraded to a Taj view room) are spacious and clean and the breakfast is excellent.

Room Tip: Try to get a Taj view room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple