“Gorgeous view of the Taj Mahal”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 142 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed May 23, 2007

Exquisite hotel in Agra. Gorgeous view of the Taj Mahal. The food is excellent. Service was A+++. I've posted pictures of the pool and views of the Taj. Just remember in India it is hard to stomach the vast difference between the 5 star luxury and the poverty immediately outside the gates of the hotel.

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank amwerewolfinlondon

Reviewed May 21, 2007

This hotel must rank in my all-time top 3, and certainly knocks spots off the other Oberoi hotels that I have stayed in. Staff were amazingly efficient and charming; pool area was heavenly; rooms very well appointed; views breath-taking; and restaurants superb. I highly recommend trying the under-patronised Indian restaurant (Esphahan) over the competent but bland European effort.

I always try to find a "but" when giving a good review (after all, nothing's perfect), but I really can't think of one for this place. There can be no better hotel to cap the experience of visiting the Taj.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AreAnyNamesNotTaken
Reviewed May 5, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Amarvilas in Dec 2006 for 2 nights. Everything about the Amarvilas is magnificent, from the interiors to the grounds, to the service. This hotel is an attraction in itself with its decor inspired by the Taj Mahal motifs. The views of the monument can be had from everywhere - from the bar, from the lobby, from the rooms. We had an excellent dinner at Esphahan, their Indian restaurant, and later the chef gave a personal tour of the kitchen to my wife.

My one peeve - we took the hotel car to Fatehpur Sikri and the driver seemed to be hand-in-glove with one of the guides. We had specifically said we didn't want the services of any guide yet he foisted this fellow on us, and even gave him a ride in our car without first clearing it with us. This is the bane of Indian tourism - unscrupulous drivers with all their wheeling & dealing on the side. I expected better from Oberoi in this department. That apart, the Amarvilas was all joy and pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank agtoau
GM_OberoiAmarvilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2007

Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for your complimentary review of our hotel.

With regard to your unfortunate experience with the driver provided for your sightseeing trip to Fatehpur Sikri, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort you must have been put through. As you may be aware, we outsource our cars & drivers from Avis Car Rentals, but we do put the drivers through guest service and sensitivity training and expect them to perform just like any of our other team members at all times. The majority of our guests use drivers provided by their travel agents.

In order for us to investigate whether the driver was provided by Avis or was a travel agent driver, we would need to know some more details. Although we have the utmost respect and value for your privacy, it would assist our investigations greatly if the reviewer could please send us some more details about his stay (name or your room number would suffice) by e-mail at gm@oberoi-amarvilas.com. Of course, doing so is left completely at the reviewer's discrection and if he does not feel comfortable doing so, we shall understand and respect that.

I do hope the reviewer will e-mail me at his earliest convenience, and will not allow this issue to forever mar his impression of our hotel and service.

Visheshwar Raj Singh
The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, India

Reviewed May 3, 2007

Cannot complain at all about this hotel. The entrance is splendid, the staff appear to be ex-SAS (appearing and dissapearing with almost psychic ability) and the view of the Taj Mahal was magnificant.
We stayed here after being at the Oberoi Jaipur and the difference was noticable. Breakfast was served in our room - to take full advantage of the view and was excellent (beware the light and healthy - it is neither but very tasty!).
There is a golf cart to take you most of the way to the Taj, which we mocked for being lazy, but actually what it does do is get you past a long line of touts and tuc tuc drivers. Tourists are prime bate here - do not be surprised by the amount of touts - but they are friendly and only trying to make a living.
The pool area is excellent and we spent a very pleasant afternoon here just splashing about.
Take time to use the spa. We had a three hour Auyverdic treatment in the twin treatment room which overlooks the Taj, utter bliss and a bargian compared with UK prices (around 90 pounds each). Watch the sun set over the Taj in a bath of milk and rose petals, doesn't get much bettter.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kittenwoman
Reviewed April 20, 2007

Travelled as group of 3 families around Northern India. Actually stayed in 3 Oberoi hotels so agreed special rate with Central Reservations. They are not the quickest or most efficient of booking systems but everything was great in the end.

This hotel is stunning - the terrace and gardens have an uninterrupted view of the Taj Mahal, and so did our rooms! I could lie in bed and look at the most beautiful monument. Our rooms also had large private terraces, so we had breakfast out there each day. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, as are the bathrooms. It is a very modern hotel with spa (didn't try) and the pool is really well designed, with sheltered areas and sunny areas. Poolside service for drinks and food was great, and they were willing to serve off menu (small children wanted ham and cheese toasties for lunch).

Main restaurant had a mix of foods and service was excellent. The Indian restaurant does not admit children under 12. We gave the kids room service and one of our teenagers babysat, so we had a very pleasant (and peaceful) meal. Room service for one room was a bit late arriving - I phoned to chase it up and the waiter who had taken the order phoned back and apologised profusely, and promised to hold our booking in the main restaurant.

Used laundry service which was fine, and changed pillows from feathers (which make me sneeze)- they have a pillow menu!

Can't really think of anything to fault it on.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Helen W
Reviewed April 18, 2007

We stayed here two nights. The hotel facilities were beautiful - our room's balcony view of the Taj Mahal was breath taking - and the staff appeared very attentive and friendly. On the morning that we checked out this officious little man with a long bird feather (his low tech version of a pointer) came into our room, not to get our bags as requested, but to search the room (including going through the bed linens and dirty towels) to make sure that we had not stolen hotel property. Over the past thirty years, my family and I have traveled throughout Europe, Asia, the US, the Middle East, and Central America, several times a year, always staying in comparable hotels (even other Oberoi hotels) and have never been treated this way. Of course nothing was missing - we didn't even use the mini bar, but I was mortified. I don't know if we were treated this way because we are Black American women or if this is standard practice at that hotel. I do know that when I take my other daughter to Agra next year I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank TravelingmommaDC
GM_OberoiAmarvilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2007

Dear Trip Advisor member,
On behalf of The Oberoi Amarvilas team, please accept my sincere apologies if you were in any way offended during your stay with us. Let me assure you and all other Trip Advisor members / readers that we do not encourage or tolerate any sort of discrimatory or suspicious behaviour towards our guests by any staff member.

I must confess that the experience described in this review is completely uncharacteristic of our check-out procedures. We do of course follow a system of the floor butler going to the room after getting a 'room check-out' message on his pager, but this is primarily done to see if the guest has left behind any articles in the room by mistake or if the room safe is open/empty and also to verify any last minute mini-bar consumptions. Neither our room attendants nor our butlers carry "a long bird feather" or any such "low tech version of a pointer", which makes this experience all the more bizarre and mystifying.

However, my team and I are taking this matter very seriously and would certanly like to get to the bottom of this troubling experience that one of our guests went through while leaving our hotel. Although we have the utmost respect and value for your privacy, it would assist our investigations greatly if the reviewer could please send us some more details about her stay (just your name, or your room number and date of departure would suffice) by e-mail at gm@oberoi-amarvilas.com. Of course, doing so is left completely at the reviewer's discrection and if the reviewer does not feel comfortable doing it, we shall understand and respect that.

My team and I assure you and all Trip Advisor members/readers that this unfortunate incident was an abberation in our guest service standards, and we will be greatly disappointed if the reviewer does not allow us an opportunity to make up for it on her trip to Agra next year.

I do hope the reviewer will e-mail me at her earliest convenience, and will not allow this issue to forever mar her impression of our hotel and service.

Visheshwar Raj Singh
The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, India

Reviewed April 17, 2007

We stayed here for one night in late March and it was fabulous. The hotel itself is stunning with a location and view to match. Very expensive for a room but the food in the restaurants is of reasonable cost by UK standards.

The one thing that stands out is the service - the best I hae ever encountered. From the minute you arrive the staff are nothing but friendly, smiling and talkative. By the second day everyone we met seemed to know our names. We went for dinner in the Indian restaurant and the chef personally came out to ensure the dishes we had ordered were spiced exactly as we wanted. When I asked him if one of the dishes could be made spicier, he insisted on making a fresh batch along with new plates, rice, daal and naans and then refused to charge for the original dish as he felt it wasnt perfect the first time around. I have many more examples of the service but too many to detail here.

Overall I would definately recommend this hotel for anyone going to Agra. It really is as good as all the reviews on this site say it is with not a single thing I could find to fault it.

One tip is to ask for a room on the the higher floors as the trees have grown since the hotel posted photos on their website so the views are much better higher up.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple