“Incredible View of Taj Mahal, and one of the Nicest Hotels I have Ever Seen”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 147 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed April 3, 2009

This place was incredible. It was super pricey (around 600$ usd a night). Which is not cheap anywhere but especially so in India. I found it worth it. When you arrive they take you into this lounge for your first good view of the Taj Mahal and its breath taking. We paid a little extra to have a terrace and I think it was worth it. We sat and gazed across the pools and gardens to the Taj Mahal in the back ground until it got dark. The service was incredible. I think we had three guys come up to the room when we arrived, one for food service, one the concierge and one the butler. Did I menion we had a butler button in the room, you push it and someone shows up in about a minute or so. I had a bad cold, so even at 2AM in the morning I was able to push the button and the butler went and got me some cough syrup (worked great!). They were a bit overpriced on the food and such more on the scale of london or new york, but the quality was incredible. We asked them to setup a romantic dinner for two in the room and they even decorated with candles and flowers etc. I had a one hour swedish massage and found the massuse very competant. Basically everything was great and went off without a hithc at this hotel (we really felt ike we came back to civilization compared to some of the B&B's we were at previous on this trip. Also the gide they arranged was exceptional having recieved his masters in history and having done his thesis on the Taj Mahal it was a really good tour of the taj. The hotel has little golf carts which take you right up to the security gate of the taj mahal. Please note that they advised us not to bring any bags or anything other then your camera etc. as the security checks will be much more of a pain if you. We didn't go for the sunrise (overcast day) but got there about 7:30AM. I think this was a great time as it was still cool outside and also you didnt hav to get up super early in the day. Also the first tour buses start to get to the Taj around 8:30 or 9AM from Delhi so then it starts getting pretty busy. We found earlier better. The guide said he busiest time of the day was at 12:00 or 13:00. We also saw Agra fort and found it pretty cools as well, with a good view of the Taj also. The pools and resteraunts at the hotel were pretty good all in all. Moral of the story this place is excellent, but you will pay for it!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,363)

Reviewed April 1, 2009

This was our splurge at the end of our trip through northern India. The hotel itsself is impressively gorgeous. You are welcomed by a beautiful fountain court yard where (at the time) there was a flute player playing a lite romantic tune to set the mood.

The service goes beyond that of any 5 star hotel we've been to. Everyone seems to be at your beck and call. The best part though, has to be the views of the Taj. Our room had a great view that gave me goosebumps everytime I looked. The room was amazing as well. The bed was the best we'd had in India with a choice of pillows for your comfort.
We enjoyed a lovely in room meal. The food was great and nice that they offered non-indian selections. After a couple of weeks of only indian food it was nice to get away from the spices.

The only drawback is that you had to pay for internet usage. For the price you pay for the room I believe internet should be a given but unfortunately it was not. Let's hope they change that policy in the future.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Amarvilas one night while we were in Agra to see the Taj Mahal. The hotel is superb - beautiful, with excellent, friendly staff. Our room was moderate in size and very well appointed, although - nice as it was - the highlights were the balcony, overlooking the hotel's gorgeous gardens and pool and, in the distance, the Taj itself, and the lovely bathroom. We had a delicious room service dinner which was beautifully served on the portable table on which it was served. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised that the loud chanting we heard all evening while on the balcony (from a nearby mosque perhaps) was absolutely inaudible when we closed the sliding glass door. We paid handsomely for this room and the other hotels during our stay in India, but I must say that they were all among the very finest hotels we have experienced anywhere in the world. Having stayed at two Oberois, we would interpret the brand as a very strong endorsement for future trips.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2009

After staying at this hotel, I have a hard time giving any other hotel a "5" rating. The oberoi really does steal that rating. Every detail was amazing- from the room, to the view of the Taj mahal, to the spa...and the service was amazing as well. I realize this hotel is expensive, but I have stayed at a lot of expensive hotels and this is the first time I felt it was worth it. Usually you don't get all that much for your money, but at the Oberoi, you are paying for the experience, not just the room. We had one of the staff members walk us through the grounds, and explain the history of Agra. The next day, we were personally escorted to the Taj mahal, where they enlisted local police to walk us to the door so we wouldn't be harassed by people trying to sell us things. The grounds are beautiful, and the architecture almost as pretty as the taj mahal (though not quite!). Seriously, just spend the money to stay here!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Amarvillas while visiting India in transit to Bhutan...We arranged for the hotel to meet us at the airport in Delhi...They met us as we cleared customs and drove us to the hotel...The driver was very courteous and we arrived at the hotel around 4 in the afternooon...The hotel is located within walking distance of the Taj Mahal and is finished in great detail...There is a view from the Taj from the back of the hotel, the grounds and the pool...Our room had a balcony and a view of the Taj...It was finished in the same style as the hotel and with all the modern amenities...There was also a spa/fitness center and a business center...We took a quick visit to the Taj (literally a 10 minute walk and a 5 minute golf cart ride) and vowed to come back in the morning, for the sunrise...The Indian restaurant (there is also a Western one) was very tasty and had fantastic decoration...On the way back to Delhi the hotel car drove us to various sights on the way and in the city itself...I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else and think that the Amarvillas is one of the most unique hotels in the world

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Words cannot describe this hotel! Waking up in the morning with a view of the Taj Mahal in the distance is beyond breathtaking. And it wasn't just the views- the service, the rooms, the food, everything!

The hotel was simply exquisite. The layout, lobby, pool, and of course, the views from every single room. This must be one of the nicest hotels in the world I've ever had the pleasure of staying it. It is worth every penny of the exorbitant cost. I knew we only had one night in Agra, and we had to stay at the nicest hotel- I have no regrets!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Even though the hotel was beyond my usual budget, spending a night here was worth every penny!! Fantastic service, priceless view, pool(and teddy bear gift from the hotel) my 5 year old daughter really enjoyed and a massage my wife raved about. For the Taj Mahal experience, this is it!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family