“Simply stunning hotel, the ultimate in”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 143 Hotels in Agra
London, United Kingdom
“Simply stunning hotel, the ultimate in”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

It is very rare on a holiday that I try to engineer a way to extend my stay in a hotel, feign illness, pray for bad weather......anything. This hotel was simply so incredible that I was desperate to stay another couple of nights to enjoy the beauty of it fully. Our room was expertly appointed, spotlessly clean and had the most spectacular view overlooking the Taj, imagine my joy waking up to it. The hotel itself was wonderfully designed and simply oozed opulence and class whilst maintaining the charm and character from years gone by. The swimming pool and grounds were quite a sight to behold and offered the most tranquil swim I have ever experienced. To sum up, although there is not much to see and do in Agra aside from the Taj, allow yourself at least one extra night so that you can immerse yourself in the beauty of this hotel, you will be bitterly disappointed if you don't. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

It gives me immense pleasure to read that you enjoyed the magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from the room, lobby and the lounge area. The swimming pool is indeed one of the most beautiful and serene places in the hotel along with the beautifully manicured gardens , while the view of the Taj Mahal from all our guest rooms is definitely unparalleled. However, we believe that it is our efficient and dedicated team which set us apart. Your kind words regarding our service will be gladly shared with all team members at the hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope that fond memories of your stay will tempt you to return to the Oberoi Amarvilas in the not so distant future.

ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The pool was extraordinary! This hotel was 10 years old but had the charm and the feel of centuries gone by! The rooms are very comfortable with great views. Access to the Taj is just down the street, this is one of the closest properties to the Taj.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony, or higher the better.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hogwithacamera
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel does indeed offer magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from every room and it is the endeavor of our dedicated team to personalize your stay at the hotel. Our day long shuttle service to and from the monument via golf carts makes sure that the Taj Mahal just a few minutes away.

Our luxurious well appointed rooms as beautiful pool area are indeed highlights of the hotel.

We hope that your experience with us will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many Oberoi hotels and resorts around the world.

Makassar, Indonesia
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The moment I step into the hotel, still much please from my prior visit to oberoi jaipur, the oberoi amyarvillas offered more grand lobby the room is also different concept compared to oberoi jaipur.
But it wont be fair to compare as to say which 1 is better as each has their special way and unique ambience.
Our room facing directly to Taj Mahal, with small balcony.
Visiting Taj from amarvillas is very easy as you just have to buy ticket from the concierge, and the fee for the tour guide is not too costly.
Golf cart will take you right to the entrance of Taj, best time to visit before all the crowds come and make it difficult for taking pictures, will be around 5.30 am in the morning.
By around 8 to 9 am, it will be too crowded and better just return to amarvillas to enjoy the breakfast.
As I enjoyed the view of Taj from my room, i could not help to imagine the glamorous way of the Maharani and Kings of the ancient India.
The ambience of the room, was too romantic and royal.
The service is typical indian hospitality serving you personally with total satisfaction.
Stay for at least 2 nites to enjoy full benefit and everything the hotel has to offer.
The jewelry store is right inside amarvillas, i couldnt help myself not to shop...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read your comment and your generous praise of the hotel and our staff. All our rooms are beautifully designed to have a view of the magnificent Taj Mahal and the beautifully manicured gardens and lawns. We also provide complimentary shuttle service to the Taj Mahal, ensuring that the monument is just minutes away from the hotel.

Our staff is specially trained to cater to guests needs and help in making their experience a once in a life time experience. I am delighted to read that you felt like royalty during your visit, since that is the experience we wish to create for our valued guests.

Thank you for choosing us and we hope to welcome you back to the Oberoi Amarvilas.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Apologies for writing such a delayed review. Stayed at this hotel last October 2013 with extended family. We choose this hotel due to the excellent reviews and of course due to the spectacular views of The Taj from the bedroom suite and bar areas. We were celebrating a special birthday during our stay too. The hotel manager personally greeted us upon our arrival and made all of us including the children feel very welcome. We were very fortunate to be upgraded to one of the most amazing two-bed suites the hotel has to offer. Thank you so much for making our stay extra special. The pool area is exceptionally beautiful. We enjoyed a lovely dinner in the restaurant offering a more formal dining experience. Worth paying to stay here - enjoyed having a drink on the balcony soaking in the views of One of the most beautiful landmarks in the world - The Taj Mahal

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor with regards your recent stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas

It’s a pleasure to read your review which is much appreciated. We are delighted when our guests choose to celebrate their special occasions with us and I am glad that we were able to create pleasant memories for your family.

Your feedback is a great source of motivation and is appreciated as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.We take special care in recruiting and training our staff in order to exceed guest expectations and ensure a memorable stay.

I hope you will return to stay with the Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

During a recent trip to India, we had the chance to stay at three of the Oberoi properties. The hotels are truly something special. The setting, the furnishings, and the decorating are all gorgeous. Each property has its own personality.

The entrance to this property alone was worth a visit there. We arrived tired and Dusty after a long trip from New Delhi, and we were greeted by this oasis of beauty and tranquility.

The room was spectacular. It was not overly large in size, but definitely more than adequate. As the bellmen open door, in front of us stood multi-paned windows with a view of the Taj Mahal, perfectly centered in the view. I will never forget that initial view of the Taj.

The hotel amenities were pretty much what you would expect. I was a little disappointed in the hotel in that it had a number of stations where they had hot oil burners with some type of incense. I am very sensitive to odors, and the smell did not agree with me at all. One of the oil stations was right outside of our door. We requested that the oil station be moved, and one person accommodated immediately. Later, upon our return, we found that it had been replaced and was again burning. Again, we had it removed, and again, it reappeared. I think it was a problem of my communication, or lack of it. I really can't fault the service of the hotel.

This hotel is beautiful, and tranquil, and so well situated in Agra that we were able to visit the Taj just by getting up early and using their golf carts, instead of tromping over there by ourselves. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I am most delighted to read your pleasant comments regarding your stay at the Oberoi Amarvilas. I am pleased that the view, the location of the hotel, the room and the service were to your expectation. We also offer complimentary golf cart service for our guests to the Taj Mahal ensuring the monument is just minutes away.
At Oberoi Hotels, we always try to cater to our guest’s individual needs, to ensure that the quality of service and products are delivered as expected from us. We have noted your feedback regarding the scented oil diffusers. The same has been communicated to the concerned teams. We will ensure that we work upon the same in order to improve upon our communication in the future.

Thank you for your kind recommendation and we will be pleased to welcome you back soon.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Everything about this property is incredible.... Be it location, architecture....ambience or the service.
Me and wife stayed here for 3 nights.
An usher was present on the vehicle ramp to welcome us even before we got done from our car.
We were royally escorted to the hotel main entrance where another smiling sari clad lady welcomed us traditionally with the sandoori tilak....
The hotel realises the tiring journey one may have made to reach them, and waste no time in keeping one waiting for check- in formalities, rather they take initiative for the same once one has reached the room....
The cold towels awaited our arrival in the picturesque lounge overlooking the magnificent TAJ MAHAL... And we were promptly served the welcome drinks....
After a short show around of this beautiful property, we were escorted to our room.....
The hotel staff had remembered each and every request of mine and everything in the room was perfect.....
The housekeeping staff exhibit outstanding art using linen and towels to beautify the bedroom.
The servers at the pool, those at the bar and restaurants realise the importance of your trip and leave no stone unturned to bring a smile on your face..... No request of mine was turned down whatsoever.....including my wish to fly kites, which were promptly organised by the staff with a smile.
The chefs, so passionate about their profession take pleasure in designing special delicacies for their guests......
I recommend ESPHEHAN, the speciality dining Indian restaurant...the kebabs, the dal or the Thali.....ordered with confidence and never went wrong. One restaurant I have come across after a long time that can beat the BUKHARA with its succulent and savoury kebabs.
The entire staff goes out of the way to serve you...... All under the directions of managerial artisan, Mr Ankush Mahajan who was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to spend some time with us.....

All in all, this hotel is the GEM in the TAJ MAHAL, which will make your visit to Agra unforgettable....

Room Tip: Choose a room with balcony on the higher floor to get picturesque views of TAJ...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

It gives me immense pleasure to read that you enjoyed the magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from the room, the architecture, ambience and the cuisine was to your liking. We have a traditional welcome for all our guests which consist of a vermillion tikka applied on the forehead along with the soothing cold towels followed by a refreshing welcome drink.
We truly believe that our trained and guest focused team members are our greatest asset and I will be glad to share your wonderful feedback with all, it is the endeavor of our dedicated team to personalize your stay at the hotel. It is our pleasure to be complimented as for our Indian restaurant Esphahan.

Thank you for your beautiful review and we hope to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

New York
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The hotel looks very beautiful and has spectacular views of Taj. I take a splendid dinner in the hotel restaurant. But service of this hotel is not up to the international level. The way housekeeping staff treats to the guest is not acceptable since they are not keeping their promises which is not an evidence of loyalty towards their guests. I think there is a need of remarkable changes in staff in room allocation and maintenance department (specially girls). Rest of the service is good. I hope the manager will take appropriate action to meat the standard of Oberoi hotel. In totality I will not recommend this hotel a best place to stay in Agra.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank michEnlighten
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is with much regret that I read of your disappointment with your experience at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

We at Oberoi Hotels we sincerely believe that it is only by accepting and working on constructive feedback from our guests that we can achieve the highest levels of service that we aspire towards. I have studied your feedback in detail and have discussed the same in detail with our concerned teams. We all truly value our guests’ experience and regret that your stay in this instance was much less than satisfactory.

I would request you to kindly consider this incident as a one off case and not a reflection of the usual standards that we at the Oberoi Amarvilas follow or aspire to deliver to our most valued guests.

Once again I regret your disappointment and I hope that in time your will allow us the opportunity to serve you and to meet your expectations.