“You are paying for the view”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed November 16, 2008

After reading the reviews of this hotel I pushed my travel agent to get us into this hotel and I am glad I did. We went for a room with a balcony with views of the Taj. The view was really beautiful.

However, to me you are paying a premium for that view and I was not blown away by the rooms or service. Do not get me wrong, the rooms are decorated and furnished to a high level but they are not huge and to me not superior to other rooms I have stayed in similar graded properties. And I guess at the price we paid I expected a grand room with separate sitting area and a bathroom which wowed me.

The service was good and I had no complaints but I have experienced superior (Park Hyatt Tokyo). As someone else mentioned the breakfast is a bit disorganised. However I found the food to be lovely. We also went to pool and it was very nice but needs more chaise lounges.

Finally we went to the Spa for massages and they were so god we went back the next day. If you can get one of the Spa suites with views over the Taj it is very impressive.

Overall I would recommend this hotel but have to say I did expect more for what I paid and what had read. Probably if my expectations were not as high I would have been blown away more. However with views of the Taj it is hard to go wrong.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank squirrelone

Reviewed October 21, 2008

The hotel is very modern yet tries to be a "historical" hotel. We had a room with a balcony and a view over Taj Mahal. This is exceptional and something to experience once in a lifetime. The pool was great. All staff were extremely friendly. I like the "no tip" policy. Breakfast was a bit disorganized.

Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eric060
Reviewed October 9, 2008

This is the ONLY place to stay in Agra. It's much better than the Taj group property (we've stayed there too). Try to get a room with a view of the Taj itself, there's nothing like waking up and seeing it from your room. Wonderful service, great location, they have golf carts to take you right to the Taj Mahal gates. really great property.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pixmac
Reviewed September 29, 2008

The hotel architecture is spectacular, this property is right next to the Taj Mahal and you can see the Taj from you room. The room decor is beautiful with the finest furnishings. The hotel lobby is amazing, very luxurious. The pool is a once in a lifetime experience with fountains and beautiful chaise lounges set among the fabulous grounds and landscaping. This is the place to stay in Agra. The staff anticipates your every need. Loved this property.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TandLtravel
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We had an excellent stay at this most beautiful hotel with manicured lawns! Made the Booking directly 30 days prior to get a 45% discount! Travelled from Jaipur by train and we were picked up at the station and driven to the Hotel were they add a very personal touch! You are welcomed at the entrance and they address you by name and the check-in is painless at your pace. The Hotel is what you expect from the one of the best rated - lovely room, toilets, beds, balcony with a TAJ view, great interiors and even a great lift! The restaurant was ok, and the only quibble we had was that we were not allowed into the Indian Restuarant Espehan were they had live music! This is because we were travelling with a 7yr old, apparently only allowed if more than 8yrs. We were however served food from the Indian kitchen and the service was very attentive and expensive as you'd expect! The best thing is that this hotel is 600mtrs to the the Taj entrance and they have complimentary Golf buggies for transport

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank samraj
Reviewed September 9, 2008

To me, the Oberoi Amarvilas is the second attraction in Agra after the incredible Taj Mahal. My girlfriend and I did not stay at the hotel. In fact, we didn't even stay the night in Agra. We were disgusted with the seedy neighborhood nearby called Taj Ganj and our Lonely Planet guide suggested the hotel's restaurant. So, we sought refuge in the Amarvilas. We felt unwelcomed at first....but there was good reason. All of the staff were occupied with a certain VIP that happened to be Bashar Assad, president of Syria, along with his lovely wife. Once the president and his entourage departed, the hotel's staff went out of their way to please us. I'm sure they knew we weren't guests of the hotel.

Lunch was marvelous. We needed to get to Delhi later that night and they arranged a private car for us (which was expensive but this is a 5-star hotel). Then they took us by golf cart right past all of the touts to the entry gate to the Taj Mahal. The driver of the cart was there to pick us up when we came out.

It's safe to say that we were throughly impressed with the Oberoi Hotels and will now go out of our way to stay with them in the future. Their efforts were not wasted on us.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nicelynicely
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Most of the charm comes from the location and the Taj views (which are unobstructed, but frankly the Taj is much further away than the promotional materials lead to believe).

Otherwise, the hotel is good but not spectacular. It's a standard Oberoi "vilas" faux-palace property.
Some of the interiors could really do with refurb, the restaurant is not great and service a little hit-and-miss (more so than at other Oberoi properties).
Sadly, all this is perfectly understandable and unlikely to improve: the Oberoi will still be the best hotel in Agra, the big draw will be the views and visitors are unlikely to stay long or return (ever, or at least any time soon).

However, the hotel is comfortable, you get your balcony with a view of the Taj (in the distance), it's a romantic and charming place, and service is fine for what is likely to be a short stay (one or two night max).

So I'd recommend it if you are going to Agra.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple