“Second stay”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed April 28, 2014

First time we stayed at the hotel 10 years ago and were amazed by the hotel. This time we were traveling with our friends, 10 of us and everyone loved the hotel and specially service. We had best service at the restaurant and best waiter was Umesh Manral. He remembered what we liked at lunch and at the breakfast brought us special food that we liked. Overall everyone at the hotel did everything to make our stay very memorable. Thank you hotel management.

Room Tip: Corner twin room with balcony was best from our 5 rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor with regards your second stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas after 10 years.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and your positive review is much appreciated. This definitely helps us and our teams to stay motivated. We take special care in recruiting and training our staff in order to exceed guest expectations.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future. Will be delighted to share your review with all members of the team.

Thank you.
Ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Agra is about Taj Mahal and that fact gets magnified in Amarvilas. This was our second family visit to Taj Mahal. First time we did the golden triangle from Delhi (Sariska)-Jaipur-Agra-Delhi. We stayed in Trident.

This time we took car ride from Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport. You will hear it is 2 hrs or so. It is still 4.5-5 hours as ~ 2 hours is express high way, airport to express way and expressway to hotel are each 1 hours or so.

So by the time we reached Hotel, we were tired. The hotel is indiscreet from outside. But right from outside, the view of the Taj Mahal is amazing and nearest any hotel offers, inside, the hotel is spacious and has amazing scale one would expect from the best hotel in Agra. It was built 13 years ago, and it shows a bit. We had two rooms, and everything was smooth at check-in. We found out the promised connecting rooms were ready, spacious and had view of Taj Mahal from its large window. Turns out all rooms have Taj view.

For dinner, we tried the multi-cuisine restaurant. Choices were all specialities from various countries...made to perfection. we tried Thai Red Curry, Rogan Gosh, Smoked Salmon and so. Food was amazing, condiments accompanied without asking. Prices is always personal, but found value for their freshness and authenticity.

Next day, we had booked sunrise tour to TajMahal with guide from hotel. Hotel provides tea, coffee, cake at 530 and electrical cart to Taj. Kids were excited to get up at 5 am after a whole day of journey. Next 2 hours were magical. The scale, the idea, the whole is spiritual.

Next breakfast was one of the best for sure. Every item was best of quality. Service was impeccable. Chefs look for feedback and input. For the kids, they cooked special requests.

The afternoon by the pool was cooling and calming. The evening drinks in the terrace while sun setting down over Taj Mahal is unforgettable.

Next day Agra fort was amazing, But even more amazing is Taj View over Yamuna river.

That is when it struck to me, Agra is about Taj Mahal. It is so overwhelming, larger than life, no hotel architecture, food or service can compete with it. Oberoi takes a subtle backseat, while providing excellent services, food, ambience, so that Taj can be the focus. Excellent job, guys!

Room Tip: All rooms with Taj view, higher the better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Bhramanti-Pune

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that your family enjoyed their stay with us. I am glad that the rooms, public areas and views from the hotel were to your satisfaction. With the stunning views of the Taj Mahal from every guest room window and convenient access via hotel golf carts, the Oberoi Amarvilas endeavors to make your tryst with the timeless monument a continuing experience which lasts throughout your stay. The tastefully decorated interiors and beautifully landscaped garden areas ensure a luxurious stay while the restaurants, bars and 24 hour in room dining facilities pamper you with the choicest food and beverages. The swimming pool is a serene place to relax after the day’s sightseeing.

It will be my pleasure to share your generous praise with our dedicated team members, who are responsible for creating memories of a lifetime for our guests. Your comments regarding the upkeep of the building have been noted and we will definitely work upon the same.

We hope to welcome you soon to one of the Oberoi Hotels and Resorts.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had booked a 3-night stay through Amex with FHR program (Fine Hotels & Resorts) including breakfast, one complimentary 3-course dinner and 1-hour massage at the Spa.

Transfer arrangement from Delhi airport to the hotel was made prior to our arrival. A driver was waiting for us but we had trouble identifying him as he was holding an 'Avis' sign while I was expecting 'Oberoi'. Moreover my name was misspelled to the point I thought it was someone else's. So when you arrive just look for a driver with a complete white outfit and he shall be 'the' guy. The journey with a Ford SUV was a 3-hour drive; the road condition was excellent. Cost was nearly 300 Eur.

Arrival at the hotel is pretty spectacular. The short pathway leads you to a kind of exterior front porch. You climb a few stairs and you discover the famous fountain courtyard. Cold towels and welcome drinks were offered in the lounge with first and fantastic view of iconic Taj Mahal. Our room was not ready yet so we chose to have lunch at Bellevue restaurant. I will speak later on about dining venues.

We were in 'premier room with balcony' #304. It is located above the bar so very central with a large balcony, actually more like a terrace. Size of balconies can vary a lot, on the third floor the best ones are 301, 302, 303, 304, 305 and 318. Accommodation is basic for this hotel category but it was satisfactory (large walk-in closet, bathroom with single vanity, bathtub, separate shower). I was slightly worried about hotel condition after I read that rooms were tired and starting to show their age. Indeed you can see that the hotel is not brand new but all materials used during construction were of excellent quality and I actually think that years are giving more authenticity to this place.

Most guests stay 1 night but 3 nights is great, it gives you plenty of time to enjoy all facilities. Swimming pool is beautiful, gym is well equipped and quite large (see pictures). Spa is excellent, we had very good treatments. Even boutiques are nice (marble shop, silk fabrics, etc.) with better prices and quality that most tourists traps in the area.

Breakfast in Bellevue was ok but nothing special, choice selection shall be improved. We tried in-room dining: quick, efficient and tasty for simple dishes. We had buffet lunch in Bellevue (60 Eur for 2 people excluding beverages) but it is very average. We also tried lunch by the pool and to me it is a better option than Bellevue with greater value. Last evening we had dinner at Esphahan (130 Eur for 2 people including a glass of wine for each) it was our best meal in Agra.

The Oberoi Amarvilas will provide you with skilled guides at a very reasonable cost (less than 15 Eur per day). Car for local trips was less than 25 Eur in total for Agra fort and additional journey to the opposite side of the river from where we had great views of Taj Mahal at sunset). They also arranged tickets for night viewing but I was a bit disappointed, full moon was not bright enough to make the experience worth it. Wifi is charged 10 Eur per day and speed is limited but still ok compared to other places we stayed at in India.

Least but not least, weather by mid-April was perfect, sunny and temperatures ranging from 30 to 40°C. Still cloudy at times but I would go back at this period without hesitation.

Overall service was fantastic. Again I had read some bad reviews and I was expecting nothing special but I was positively surprised by attention to detail and genuine interest from the staff (especially at restaurants & pool) to make our stay memorable. The no tip policy was good, you can give a sealed envelope at check-out but we preferred to charge our credit card. I don't know if it was enough or not, I gave 30kINR.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Oberoi Amarvilas and for taking time out of your busy schedule to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The panoramic view of the monument from guest rooms, bar and lobby area does indeed set the mood for a memorable stay in the City of the Taj. Convenient access to the historical landmark via hotel golf carts at any time of day, make sure that the Taj Mahal is just a thought away.

Your detailed feedback regarding the different aspects of the hotel is much appreciated. The public areas and gardens are a delight to the eyes, while our picturesque swimming pool offers a welcome respite in a busy day of sightseeing. The restaurants and bars are other highlights of the hotel, completing the luxury experience.

Your comment regarding the signage on arrival, as well as the breakfast and lunch selections in Bellevue have been noted and have been shared with the concerned teams. We believe that your feedback is essential for us to constantly evaluate our product and services, in order to maintain the highest standards of service our guests rightly expect from us.

Your kind praise of the service at the hotel has also been shared with the team and will encourage them further in their pursuit of excellence.

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We weren't disappointed with the Oberoi Amarvilas after our experience in Udaipur. It is the warmth and attentiveness of the staff which makes all the difference. We loved being able to see the Taj from our room. We were a little disappointed that we couldn't sit outside in the evening because of the mosquitos but I guess that can't be helped. We have since moved to another 5 Star hotel in Delhi (not an Oberoi), and felt the reception was almost frosty because we have become spoilt by the standards at the Oberoi.

Room Tip: Everything was perfect!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words.I am so happy to read that you were here with us for breakfast and you enjoyed the cuisine and the hotel services.

We would love to welcome you back and I will be most delighted to assist you with the reservations.

Please feel free to write to me on ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Reviewed April 26, 2014

this is a great luxury hotel.
the hotel, the rooms, the gardens, the pool, the view - it looks like every detail was considered here and you really get a great experience.
service and the stuff were very attentive.
make it your first choice when visiting Agra

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Thank you taking out the time to post your views. I am delighted to learn that you had a great stay. Our teams have been very carefully selected and trained to cater to our guests needs and requirements

Please feel free to write to me on ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Reviewed April 25, 2014

The hotel clearly benefits from his breath taking location just about 500m away from the Taj Mahal. So you can see this monument all day and night, even from your bed. But also its impressing palace-like architecture and its pool area is worth a visit here. However, the hotel's best is its service. E.g. you will receive the tickets to the Taj Mahal already in the hotel and shuttles for the transport are available on request.
We had a very special experience: during our check out we forgot to empty the room safe, but did not notice this until the Oberoi in Jaipur (our next stop) surprised us with a sealed envelope which had been sent from Agra. Where else will you find such honesty and such a service?

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floors for best view of the Taj Mahal

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to post your comments on the trip advisor. I most delighted to see that you had a wonderful stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in not so distant future.

I am taking the liberty of sharing your feedback with all the members of our team.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

This is clearly by far the best hotel in Agra for all the reasons mentioned in the other reviews. And as with all Oberois the signature quality of service is clearly evident - and it's more relaxed and not as stiff in style as other less self-confident five star hotels. So you'll have a great time and it was a lovely treat for us.

All that said I'm glad we got the room at an early booking 23k rupees as the rack rate of over double that would be difficult to justify. And set against the Oberoi's own exacting standards there were niggles: only 30 mins free wifi (why do $50 a night hotels around the world provide free 24 hour wifi but some places 10x this price still think it's acceptable to charge separately?), no spare goggles in pool, our request for a taxi to the airport got lost in the system (though to be fair a car then arrived 5 mins later), I was asked for onward travel details by email the day before I arrived but then again on arrival, and it's a modern hotel that isn't particularly attractive from the outside. You particularly notice this given the wonderful heritage fort options available elsewhere in Rajasthan, but that may just be my English whimsy. The golf carts to the Taj entrance are a nice touch but are frankly completely ridiculous unless you're incapacitated as it's all of a 300m walk. And the restaurants are pricey - e.g. 50,000 rupees for the buffet lunch for two- but I guess you expect that in a top hotel.

Don't get me wrong this is a great hotel with wonderfully friendly staff, unique views, beautifully designed rooms and a amazing pool with tiered terraces. And if you're loaded it's your obvious choice in town. But if you can only afford to splash out in one hotel in Rajasthan I'd certainly consider the Jaipur/Udaipur Oberois or some of the other heritage hotels in case they grab your imagination even more.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that the service has been to your satisfaction. The hotel does indeed offer stunning views of the Taj Mahal, as well as of the picturesque grounds and pool area. The latter is indeed one opf the most relaxing places to unwind after a busy day of sightseeing. However, we believe that the service provided by our trained team members is the true differentiator which sets us apart. It will be my pleasure to share your praise with them.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the concierge arrangements and the absence of goggles at the swimming pool. Both points have been shared with the concerned teams. We will make sure that we work upon those aspects. I have also made good note of your comment regarding the internet charges.

We hope that the pleasant memories created here will tempt you to return to the Oberoi Amarvilas in the future.