“Taj Mahal”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 147 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The _Oberoi Amarvilas is in the exact site. You can see the Taj Mahal from your window.
On the other side, is a marvelous hotel, excellent service, perfect cleanliness, very helpfull people.
It was a very good experience.

Room Tip: I thik all the rooms are looking the Taj Mahal, but you may the be sure of that.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hector B
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your comment. I am happt to read that our services, view from the hotel exceeded your expectation.

Our teams have always been the real feather in our caps. They all have been trained in such a way that they can anticipate our guests needs and look after them while they are staying with us.

Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcome you back

Regards
Ankush Mahajan.
ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,316)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

If the Taj Mahal is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world then the Oberoi Amarvilas must qualify as one of the very best hotels in the world.
The building and facilities are second to none but on top of that the friendliness and professionalism of the staff is so good that you are made to feel very special indeed.
The dining is superb and caters for all tastes.
However nothing can compete with the uninterupted view of the Taj from the terrace and most rooms.
To make a visit to Agra a truely remarkable experience there's only one place to stay and that's the Amarvilas..

1  Thank Peter D

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your comments about The Oberoi Amarvilas on your recent visit to Agra. I am so happy to read your kind words and these comments definitely motivates all of us to continue striving for excellence.

I am delighted to learn that you liked all services at the hotel. I will be pleased to share your feedback with all members of the team. We look forward to welcoming you at Oberoi hotels and resorts.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The place is beautiful. The views of the Taj Mahal completely live up to expectations. The decor is perfectly done. I've stayed at various Taj hotels several times and the Oberoi offered a much more upscale experience. Details were more polished, staff was better trained.

The downside is this: We arrived, apparently, after a large storm which had caused the pool to close down. We were staying for 3 nights and planned to spend lots of time just enjoying the hotel, so we were all really disappointed to hear that the pool was not open. Ankush, the GM, came to personally tell us that the pool was closed, but when we expressed our disappointment, he didn't really have much to say. Just, "sorry." Over the next 24 hours we had to mention over and over that we had really been looking forward to using the pool before they finally did something about it. At a 5 star hotel, when a major part of the experience is missing, they should immediately offer an alternative. The customer shouldn't have to express displeasure over and over again. As soon as we checked in, Ankush should have said to us, "I'm sorry, the pool is closed, and because of the inconvenience, we'd like to offer you a complimentary dinner." or something to that effect... it's not so much about getting a freebie, it's more about the management knowing that the customer invested a lot in the hotel to have a special experience, and since they are not able to to provide the complete experience, they proactively go out of their way to acknowledge that you're still going to be taken care of. After we repeatedly expressed our displeasure, we felt very well taken care of. They made it up to us and we were all really happy. It just shouldn't have taken so much effort to get this result.

The food was surprisingly good. Even at the nicest hotels in India I've found that they don't do non-Indian cuisine so well. At the Bellevue restaurant they had amazing rack of lamb, great chicken breast, and at breakfast I had the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had. I was surprised, also, that alcohol was relatively reasonably priced. It was still outrageously inflated as it is at most luxury spots in India, but with cocktails under 600rs, nowhere near the worst I've seen.

On our last day, the pool finally re-opened, and it was great. We spent most of the afternoon there and really enjoyed it.

Would stay there again in a heartbeat, they just need to refine and polish a little bit.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel does offer magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from every room and it is the endeavor of our dedicated team to personalize your stay at the hotel. The swimming pool is indeed one of the most serine places of the hotel to come back to after a long day of sight seeing. I have made a good note of the feedback and will ensure its put to best use.

We truly believe that our trained and guest focused team members are our greatest asset and I will be glad to share your wonderful feedback with all so ensure we exceed guests expectations. I will be most delighted to share your reviews with our culinary team as this will motivate them to produce finest dishes for our guests.

We hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many Oberoi hotels and resorts around the world.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for an evening prior to our trip to Jaipur (another Oberoi, another slice of heaven) and could not have been more pleased. Check-in was managed efficiently in our room, after we had been greeted with a lovely cool concoction of sparkling water with lime and grenadine. The hotel provides complimentary bottled water in the room, although some of the Oberois do boast their own water-filtration systems and can provide potable tap water as well. The food was excellent, and the staff could not have been more welcoming AND professional. We had Indian food the entire trip, save the very last days, and it was excellent, although the menu offers a variety of dishes that would satisfy any palate. Try the Indian "Sula Dindori" viognier-- I'd call it a "smooth and quietly confident vintage" if I didn't think I'd start snickering--but it is good. Moreover, if you'd like or need something not on the menu, the staff will be pleased to accommodate in any way they can. Particular kudos to Shivam and the bar team, very engaging bunch. I agree with other reviewers that the balcony room was worthwhile--although the Taj is not lit at night, it is a lovely sight in the evening and morning. The hotel is also located quite close to the Taj, and you can take a carriage ride down to the monument itself. (As the hotel left a little fruit basket, I snaffled an apple for the horse, who seemed to appreciate it). Well worth the expense--and if you're a Westerner going to the trouble and expense of visiting India, you may as well do it right . . .which, IMHO, absolutely requires the Oberoi Amarvilas.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are quite nice; but any room with a Taj view would be lovely.
1  Thank Amyjayne
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Oberoi Amarvilas and for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read your encouraging remarks regarding the service received at the hotel. The water provided in the hotel taps is all treated via Reverse Osmosis; however we still provide bottled water for our guests. The hotel indeed does offer magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from the rooms, lobby and lounge. I will be pleased to share your comment with the staff who would be pleased to receive the compliments.

The Taj Mahal is about 600 meters from the hotel and we also have a complementary golf cart service for our guests which helps creating a special experience.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

one should have stayed in this hotel and enjoy the uninterrupted view of the Taj Mahal from the own Balcony. It IS expensive, but definitely worth it.

We stayed here in July 2013 for 2 nights.

Pros:

Efficient service, proximity to Taj Mahal, View, Food (for first time visitors to India, as taste is modeled for western taste buds)

Cons:

Service could be better at times and go "the full extra mile", selection at breakfast very repetitive (as most guests only stay one night), food in both restaurants ok, not really great if you are used to good/very good Indian food; Spa: Massage ok, but again, could be/should be better.

I don’t mean to complain just for the heck of it and about "luxury problems", but for the (large amount of) money you pay, you can and should expect absolute flawless service, outstanding food, outstanding breakfast selection and excellent Spa. If those points can be improved it will be true super-luxurious hotel and even more worthwhile.

Having said that, the view makes up for a lot, and in my opinion, even for the very steep price, it is a once-in-a-lifetime must-do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you consider your stay at our hotel a once in a lifetime experience. The view of the Taj Mahal from every one of our guest rooms is indeed unforgettable.

We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to mention the areas where we could further improve our product and services. We understand and value the fact that you expect only the best from us. We will strive to make sure that we not only meet your expectations but also exceed them in the future.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to the Oberoi hotels and resorts in the not so distant future.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Oberoi Amarvilas is a beautiful property - luxurious and gracious. It is definitely *the* place to stay in Agra - location, location, location.

The service is impeccable - from the greeting with a cool drink and cold towel, to the seamless organisation of the tour of the Taj, to the gorgeous swimming pool complex.

The dining was good - the range was somewhat limited, and the food was tasty although not really exceptional. We found this to be a common theme across most of the hotels in Agra, Jaipur and Udaipur.

At every step the service was well considered, thoughtful and there-when-you-need-it. An example: at the pool, my husband was given a tray with cool water, sunblock and insect spray.

Definitely organise your Taj visit through the hotel - we were up before sunrise, provided tea and pastries and then whisked to the Taj gate by buggy - tickets are purchased at the hotel so you avoid queues.

Excellent tipping policy which is for no individual tips and a collective envelope at the end of the stay.

Room Tip: Every room has a fantastic view of the Taj. We had a balcony room but hardly used it due to risk of...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor with regards your recent visit at The Oberoi Amarvilas.It’s a pleasure to read your review which is much appreciated. Your positive feedback is a great source of motivation and is appreciated as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.

I have also made a note of your feedback with reference to food and will make sure that the same is taken up with our concerned department as we strive to provide exceptional service to guest at all aspects.
We also arrange for the Taj Mahal tickets at the hotel for our guests along with complementary golf cart service which adds to the experience of our guests. Its nice to hear that your enjoyed the tipping policy. We would like all our guests to relax and enjoy their stay rather then spending time working on gratuities during their stay.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stopped in to the Agra Amarvilas for lunch on 23/09/13. On entering the lobby was greeted by a guest relation executive who said that the restaurant was full and there wasn't even a single table available. After some small talk that we were from Chennai and that her last job was at the Trident Chennai, she asked us to hang out in the Bar and that she would try to get a table. At the bar, I told my wife that this is a cheaptrick and that I bet the restaurant was empty. And Voila, she had a table ready in 10 mins (last available as she claimed) and on entering, the place was as empty as a drum with only 3-4 tables taken. Mr. GM- Hope u assume clients see through such callow and unsophisticated hype that you would want to create.

About the food- Bland, Tasteless and lacking in variety. The waiter forgot to serve us vegetarian starters and the chef ran out of 2 desserts- Rasberry Mousse Cake and Rice Pudding. On reading the other reviews, I find the same complaints and the fact that the GM has a default reply without addressing the complaint, says a lot about the Oberoi. Am going with a 1 star out of 5 and that too cause they served a decent cocktail at the bar. Please avoid this hotel.

4  Thank Prash_One

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to review us on Trip Advisor. Your honest and constructive feedback is invaluable in helping us evaluate and improve the quality of our product and services.

Please allow me to express my regret at the inconvenience you experienced while visiting our hotel. It is not at all our intention that guests should be kept waiting merely to build up a sense of importance. I will ensure that our team is trained better on how to balance the requirements of guests already waiting for tables against commitments already made through restaurant reservations. We are working everyday towards perfecting the process.

I have also made good note of your feedback regarding the food, service and buffet replenishment and will share the same with our team at the restaurants.

We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you in the near future.