“Insufficient superlatives” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Dunsborough, Australia
“Insufficient superlatives”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I’m not sure that enough superlatives exist to adequately describe this place.

I had planned our visit here to coincide with and celebrate my wife’s birthday – a special one. I had not mentioned this to the hotel at time of booking, but did so when we were checking in, more in passing than anything else. More of this shortly …

The check-in process was warm and personalised. I realise that everyone gets that same treatment, but it was not delivered in a perfunctory manner, nor mechanically. Our bags had been whisked away, and we were greeted by one of the reception staff, offered a refreshing drink, paperwork completed with minimum fuss, and then the hotel’s GM appeared and presented his card and asked us to contact him directly if there were any problems. It’s an offer which is probably rarely taken up, but the fact that it was made set the tone for the rest of our stay. Prior to being taken to our room we were given a brief tour of the hotel so that we felt at home.

Service everywhere was excellent, from door staff, ground staff, reception staff, bar and restaurant staff, the lot.

Two things made the place absolutely stand out. We had been out seeing the sights /sites of Agra, and returned to our room to find 10 red roses and a personally signed card from the GM wishing my wife a happy birthday. A little later one of the housekeeping staff arrived with a shawl (“a gift from the housekeeping staff”) and a small plate of chocolates (from the kitchen). We dined that evening in their fine dining Indian restaurant. Shortly after we arrived I asked the hostess whether I could bring the flowers down to our table. Not only was this not a problem, but she arranged for one of the team to go get them for us, and then quietly advised me that they had prepared a small birthday cake for my wife. This, collectively, was well beyond the service level I had ever previously experienced.

In terms of overall amenity – the rooms are lovely; the grounds superb; the additional facilities (gym, pool) very good, the restaurants and meals very nice, and in this case all within a 600m walk from the Taj.

There was only one thing wrong … I did not plan for the dense fog which obscured the view of the Taj from our room, the view which was supposed to greet my wife on her birthday. But I can hardly blame the hotel for that, can I?

The Oberoi is not a cheap experience. But it’s special, and overall you get what you pay for. It’s a shame that there are not more of them around. As I said at the beginning, there are not enough superlatives ….

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter C
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip advisor regarding your stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

Thank you for the beautiful comments regarding your stay with us. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your entire stay thoroughly. We choose our staff very carefully and ensure that they are well trained to deliver the best possible service to exceed our guest expectations.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Ankush Mahajan,
ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hinsdale, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our stay at the Oberoi was amazing! Upon arriving, we were immediately impressed with the gorgeous flowers and terraces. The staff welcomed us and made us feel comfortable during our entire stay. Our room was beautifully decorated, and we had breathtaking views of the Taj Mahal and the hotel gardens and pool. The food in the dining room was delicious. We ate all of our meals there and sampled many tasty dishes. If you are looking for an excellent place to stay, close to the sights of Agra, stay at the Oberoi.

Room Tip: Every room has a view of the Taj Mahal!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor with regards your recent stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your most generous comments are much appreciated as they are a great source of motivation for our team. Our exemplary staff is trained to anticipate guest needs and deliver the same for a memorable experience.

We hope to welcome you back to the Oberoi Amarvilas.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I really wanted to love this place from what I’d heard of it – and love it I did!

We arrived here very late at night, but the staff were efficient and helpful when checking us in. Our room was beautiful; in the morning we woke up to a gorgeous view of the Taj Mahal.

One day during our stay, I became quite ill with a stomach upset. The staff were fantastic when they found out. They even sent their chef to our room to discuss the kind of food he could make me to soothe my stomach. In the end, they made a lovely kichdi (a dish made of rice and lentils) and a traditional drink with calming spices which really helped.

They also provide a service ot take you to the Taj Mahal and collect you.

This is what you’d really call a five star hotel: the service, accommodation and food was all excellent – the staff went above and beyond what was expected of them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sanatana
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were unwell during and I hope that you have fully recovered by now.

It is a pleasure to read your generous praise of our hotel and its services. We try our best to make our guest feel comfortable so that they can enjoy their stay thoroughly. I am taking the liberty to share your wonderful comments with my team and I am sure this will go a long way to keep them motivated.

Thank you.
Ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is like few other, it has one of the best locations as far as view is concerned and when you are inside you feel like you are in a little place in paradise, food, service, overall accommodations are just a dream. And it's absolutely child friendly. They do need to fix the water issue in the bathroom as the water from the sink came out murky and it was clearly an old piping issue. The hotel is in the city of Agra which is extremely dirty, abandoned and smelly.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you comments on trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and the services were up to your expectation. However; I have made a note of your constructive feedback regarding the water and the pipe line, which will be put to good use.

We try and take special care of all our guests catering to each according to their needs.

Your kind recognition of the Amarvilas team is most encouraging to one and all.

Yours sincerely,
Palmerston North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This was to be our one big splurge on our five week India trip. Every room with a view of the Taj! The hotel was absolutely beautiful. The staff was outstanding - excellent English, vey professional in every way. We found the food very expensive and not as good a many cheaper local eateries. We ordered a bottle of champagne from room service. It was very good of them to bring a snack with it, but potato crisps? The hotel made our visit to the Taj unbelievably easy as we were able to get our tickets at the hotel, then a golf cart took us directly and so we managed to avoid queues and most of the touts. Bliss. As for the view from our room? Thick fog meant we could barely see the hotel garden! Can't blame the hotel for that though.

Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback regarding the food is much appreciated and will be considered when this is next reviewed. Your comments enable us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.

I have also made a note of your comment regarding the Bar snacks, which will be considered when this is next reviewed.

We hope to welcome you back to The Oberoi Amarvilas.

Thank you.
Ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com
clovelly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Agra is the gateway to the Taj & the Oberoi is the window on this majestic structure. From the moment you arrive there is a serenity to the place, enhanced by pools, vases, fountains & earthy tones of paint work. Inside the vista of the Taj is apparent from every window & a late afternoon drink on the terrace watching the sunset on the Taj is a must. The rooms are beautifully appointed & there is a parting gift at the end of your stay. An oasis in hectic Agra.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clovellyjel
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the views from your room. The pool, fountains and the gardens are some of the many beautiful parts of the hotel. Most of our guest love to enjoy a drink on the room terrace over looking the sun set.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is one of the most luxurious places to stay in all of India. The rooms are wonderful (we had views of the gorgeous swimming pool as well as the Taj Mahal), the service is outstanding, and the food in the restaurants was world class. It is the perfect escape from the noise, pollution, and chaos of Agra. Definitely a place to return to and indulge one's self again and again.

Room Tip: Get a Taj view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments regarding your stay on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that the hotel and its services were up to your satisfaction. The view of the Taj Mahal and the pool from the room is breathtaking and I am sure it is a real escape from the city of the Taj.

We take special care in recruiting and training our staff in order to exceed guest expectations. I will be most delighted to share your review with all members of the staff as it is a great source of motivation.

We hope to welcome you back to The Oberoi Amarvilas