“Best hotel in Agra but you still pay for WiFi”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Agra
Fairseat, United Kingdom
“Best hotel in Agra but you still pay for WiFi”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Impressive hotel but not as good as the Oberoi properties in Jaipur or Gurgaon. Rooms are what you would expect for £500 + per night. The dinner on the balcony for £200 was not worth the cost as the food was ordinary and unlike the pictures on the website the Taj cannot be seen at night from the hotel. My biggest issue was that despite the cost of the room I was charged for the use of WiFi for both my phone and iPad. This is a rip off. This is the best hotel in Agra but you pay for absolutely everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NickfamilyKent
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

I have taken note of all the concerns you have raised and please be assured these matters are being addressed. Your feedback is much appreciated and it is being taken seriously and put to good use in our endeavour to provide the highest standards of care and service to our guests.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is by far one of the best hotels I have stayed in my travels. The check-in process was painless after the tedious drive from Delhi. The welcome drink, cold towels and gifts to children were very thoughtful. The staff were very courteous and refused to take any tips (they have a common pool). The rooms were brilliant and had a spectacular view of the Taj. The rooms were very spacious and had a large balcony.

They sold tickets to the Taj Mahal at published rates without any mark-ups and also included drinking water, shoe cover and drop before the Taj at no extra charge. Overall a great stay.

If I had one complaint it was about the limited spread in the buffet breakfast and them trying to push an Alacarte menu. I was also surprised the buffet was not included in the tariff though I admit I did not check when I used the hotel's website to book. Otherwise a lovely hotel close to a lovely monument.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Balaji17
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews on your recent stay at the Oberoi Amarvilas. I am delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations when it comes to both product and services.

I have also made a note of the feedback on the buffet spread and will ensure that we look into the same.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our arrival was anticipated and staff was waiting to greet us by name. Check in was a breeze. Our room had an amazing view of the Taj Mahal and was extremely comfortable. The service warm, friendly and catered to our every wish. The grounds were spotless and beautiful. Our first evening, we enjoyed drinks on the patio with live music, traditional Indian dance and that amazing view, followed by a delicious dinner for our group of 8--again overlooking the Taj Mahal (although by then it was a bit too dark to see it). If you are planning a trip to Agra, this is absolutely the place to stay. During our two-week trip we stayed at several Oberoi properties and had consistent experiences throughout. We will definitely choose Oberoi properties again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karin U
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your reviews on your recent visit to The Oberoi Amarvilas. I am delighted to read your comments and happy to learn that you had an extremely comfortbale stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Amarvilas. Should you need any assistance in making a reservation or for anything else in Agra, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am delighted to read that our distinctive services have tempted you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future. Thank you for choosing Oberoi hotels and resorts for your future travel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As I paid for this one night via another web site I was not expecting the warm welcome. I never even had to produce a docket/ticket/reservation number. It was quite extraordinary to be greeted at the front entrance by a young woman in a sari with my name (? where did she get this) and then escorted through to a sumptuous lobby where we were brought to a garden view sofa. There a young manager welcomed us again, a waiter brought welcome drinks and refreshing towels. We were asked whether we wanted lunch before checking in. As we needed to eat we were escorted down to the poolside restaurant where food came within a few minutes of ordering it- club sandwiches and a Greek Salad. We were later escorted to our room - wonderful balcony and view over to the Taj Mahal. The setting is uniquely picturesque.
After sightseeing all day we came home to a wonderful pool set in a hollow of a stepped terrace of gardens and flowing waterfalls from other pools. After the crowded streets of Agra- challenging the best of drivers with wogeous traffic, the hotel was an oasis of calm. Staff are excellent, not too much in your ear, but alert and aware in case you need something. They offered to buy our taj tickets to save time. We forgot to order breakfast in our room before 4am. We rang at 5:40 and no problem it came at 6:15 as we needed to check out particularly early for the long drive back to Delhi. The stay in the Oberoi made up for the rather tedious 4 hour drive from Delhi and gave us the energy to face the return journey!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CopenhagenTravelbug
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your reviews on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your views. Your recognition of achievements it so important in sustaining the momentum of excellence and inspiring people to strive further.

We very carefully "select people with the greatest care, train relentlessly,and create an environment where our people enjoy what they do and are motivated to do their best."

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you again to Oberoi hotels and resorts.

Regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you want luxury this is the place to be!! You can't beat it, if you are on your way to see the TAj , man you better save some extra cash and stay here, NO JOKE! They treat you like you own stock in the place, lol. There is nothing bad I can say about this place, form the Food because staying at a high end hotel doesn't garantee a good meal in India, to the service, staff ,property , just everything! I would love to go back soon , but way to far! I'm glad I was able to take my wife on this business trip and took a few extra days away from Bombay which is a giant toilet bowl to enjoy ourself here! I was here in 2010 , I'm sure it's still the same!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Knicpo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to post your views about The Oberoi Amarvilas. It gives me immensre pleasure to read and share your thoughts with all members of staff.

Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to your next visit to the Oberoi Amarvilas and other Oberoi resorts and hotels.

Delhi
Reviewed October 8, 2012

if you can afford it, well just dont think twice. just head to Agra for the Taj Mahal (still one of the real wonders of the world ) and the Oberoi Amarvillas.
I just wished my stay would never end. from service to room to the pool, all is just perfect.
So just rush to Agra.

Room Tip: all rooms face the Taj Mahal so all of them are perfect.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Oberoi, Amarvilas, during your recent visit.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay with us. We are delighted to that your stay with us was comfortable and our services exceeded your expectations. Your positive feedback is a great source of motivation for us as we strive to achieve even higher standards of service.

Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

this is hands down the most beautiful hotel i have ever stayed in.everything in this hotel is up to perfection.
The moment we came in, we were treated like royalty with complimentary drinks, flowers and a designated person to welcome us although it was very very late at night.
the hotel itself is very luxurious and the rooms are all crafted wood but the bathrooms are very modern and spacious. the room views are gorgeous overlooking beautiful gardens.
the food in this hotel was also to die for especially breakfast. we asked the shef to come out to thank him personally and he was one of the sweetest people we met on our trip. The hotel is also close to the Taj Mahal. in fact, i believe that every room has a view of the Taj.
My friends and I stayed here for one night to visit the Taj and were lucky enough to get a special rate (this hotel is expensive but it's worth the money) especially if you have been traveling all over India.
we actually wanted to see the Taj during sunrise (as recommend) and there was already coffee and tea at the lounge area which was excellent.

But the best part of the hotel, is the pool, garden area. it is absolutely breath taking. i wanna get married in this area.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were exceeded. Your feedback is appreciated and taken as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.

It has been my pleasure to convey your compliments to Chef. Positive recognition is a tremendous source of inspiration to our exemplary staff and I thank you for your kind comments.