The Oberoi Amarvilas
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
3,444 results
All reviewsgolf cartbellevue restaurantbalcony roomindian restaurantonce in a lifetimepremier roombeautiful hotelplace to staythe general managerpool area isbeautiful poolthalinew delhian oasistaj vieweast gateagra fort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2007

This place is great. The view is worth the money. It is unreal. BTW, Mike Jagger was staying while we were there, thought that was kinda neat. I can't think of a better place.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 28, 2007

this is probably the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed at (that I paid for myself), so I wasn't sure whether my splurge would be worth it (along with the private car transfers & etc the trip was really adding up) but once I saw the place -- after getting off the train from Delhi & after a not worth it (actually pretty bad) business class flight on air india -- realize the Oberoi Agra was worth every rupee

without spoiling it for anyone that has not seen photos of the hotel, let's just say you'll feel like royalty coming home when you arrive here

everything was perfect, service was good, check in /out was efficient, I loved my room, it had a nice Taj view (although it is not as close as the hotel ads depict), a nice pool view and basically very comfortable and spacious.

the hotel also had plenty of facilities that I didn't have time to enjoy but they had musicians & dancers whether at the entrance, in the lobby, or at night above the pool or at the restaurant, it was all quite nicely done

the food was excellent ( great Indian food, though not spicy enough, suspect they watered down the spice to make it more bearable for us tourists), was impressed the waiters remember that I love spicy food so they actually took the initiative to recook a dish for me at breakfast with extra spices in it

the hotel is also walking distance & a even shorter golf cart ride to the Taj, one tip I have for the Taj is that you can take awesome photos from a park across the Yamuna river on the other side, the park is called Mehtab Bagh & was deserted when I visited mid day

the only minus for the hotel was the driver I had, he was not a hotel employee but works for Avis but nonetheless when you ask for the hotel to send you a driver the drivers are from Avis, nothing against Avis coz I had 4 drivers on this trip & the one from Agra Oberoi was the only annoying one: pushy (told me to /bookcall him directly to save money, I still booked through the hotel), touchy feely (not an issue with any other Indian man I met on the trip), a liar (told me not to go to baby taj for a variety of reasons- turned out to be one of my fav agra spots), and though I was paying an arm & a leg already for his services & told him I didn't want to go shopping, still drove me to a gift shop.

I did think of complaining to the hotel but ... oh well, the rest of the experience at agra & Oberoi made up for it

this is definitely a hotel I would bring my family /friends back to

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Anilegna
GM_OberoiAmarvilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2007

Dear TripAdvisor Member and visitors,
On behalf of my entire team, please accept our heartfelt gratitude for your glowing review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to learn of the one blemish regarding your stay with us - i.e. your experience with one of the Avis drivers. I would like to assure you and all other TripAdvisor visitors that they can rest assured we will take this matter up very seriously with the Avis management to ensure that the drivers they provide to our guests are of the highest moral and ethical calibre.

In order for us to ensure that your experience is not repeated with any future guests, may I request the reviewer to please contact me by e-mail at "gm@oberoi-amarvilas.com" and let me know the dates of your stay with us? It would help us greatly in identifying the driver concerned and taking appropriate action after in vestigating the matter thoroughly.

I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience and complete discretion.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Visheshwar Raj Singh

Reviewed October 25, 2007

This hotel has amazing views of the Taj Mahal, the food is great, even if a little bit pricey for portions on the small sid. The service is amazing and they really make sure nall your needs are anticipated and fulfilled. Would definitely return despite an heavy price tag.

• Stayed: January 2003, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Grand is to small a word to describe this hotel. Security of patrons is well maintained with roving security personnel. To have one of the rooms with balcony is assuredly the way to go. To walk into your room and see through the door way to the balcony the marvel of the Taj Mahal is breath taking and the recommend rooms to have. It is worth taking at least a couple of nights in Agra and not make it a whistle stop tour. Sunset is good to go to the Taj but is very busy the best time is at sunrise which does mean an early start as in 0530 start to your day but is the prime time to see this remarkable monument at its finest and with less crowds. The hotel provides golf carts to take you to and from the monument and this is the best way to go beats being in the other hotels and travelling across town in a tour bus. The rooms are very spacious, well maintained and superbly comfortable. The staff are all exceedingly pleasant and friendly and go to extremes to make your stay as memorable as possibly. The restaurants are fine and present a good range of fare and it is tasty and well presented. Drinks in India can be a little expensive though and can push your meal bills up considerably. A word to the US travellers is do try not to be the “Ugly American”. Everything works and happens maybe not at a rush but in one meal I heard complaints about having to pay for eggs (less than US$10) and I must have my juice served before my coffee. Small things complained about in a loud voice to all nationalities. We used a tour company provided for us by American Express a company called Abercrombie and Kent. The tour guide is provided for you alone and speaks your language and the car you are transported in is for you alone and is very clean, comfortable and well air conditioned. I was very impressed with the enthusiasm and knowledge of the tour guide and the effort he put into presenting India’s national treasure. He was very considerate of our needs and went to great ends to make this a remarkable tour. So much so we intend to come back and do it again. Also worth seeing is the Red Fort and the deserted fort. We then took a road trip to Jaipur which is entertaining to say the least but within 12 months the 4 lane highway will be completed.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ch0pper
Reviewed October 6, 2007

I really love the Oberoi chain of hotels. Amarvilas was excellent, however the sevice keept changing from excellent to average. Needs a lot more of consistency, but there is no better place to stay in Agra.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple