“Functional but ultimately underwhelming and expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of ITC Mughal, Agra

Ranked #12 of 145 Hotels in Agra
dubai
“Functional but ultimately underwhelming and expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

Splash out on the Oberoi if you want luxury. If you don't / can't then save your hard earned and look for something at the top of the mid-price range.

There is nothing wrong with the hotel, but unfortunately there is not nearly enough right about it either. It is currently being renovated (no real disturbance to guests) but at present has a very 1980's business hotel feel to it. In particular the restaurants and the bars lack any real ambiance. The swimming pool is very small and not particularly inviting.

Staff were generally very helpful, although our early morning taxi to the Taj (predictably more expensive than walking onto the street for an auto-rickshaw) was late and this meant we missed th chance to get to the grounds as early as possible. As this was our sole reason for visiting Agra, we didn't appreciate this . . . Staff were apologetic but not actually able to do anything such as refund the fare, or a make a goodwill gesture.

Food was very nice, but overly expensive by 5 star Indian standards - meals at the ITC were no cheaper but do not come close to comparing to the truly top end hotels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gurgaon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

I just got back from an awesome 3 day stay at the ITC Mughal in Agra.
The last few months had been chaotic both at work and at home (a small project which started with getting the bedroom painted and soon expanded to getting the whole house redone!) so this was a much needed break --- a chance to rejuvenate and reclaim my sanity before the men in white coats carted me off to the funny farm.
I opted for the ITC Mughal as I had heard that their spa (Kaya Kalp) was the best in Asia (thank you Discovery Travel and Living!) and what I really wanted was some relaxed “me” time and solid pampering. I was a bit apprehensive when I got to know that the hotel was undergoing renovation but thankfully decided to go ahead with my mini-vacation anyway.
I have stayed in many world class hotels but this was a different experience --- just in the level of personal warmth and superlative service which more than made up for the absence of a fancy lobby (The makeshift lobby /reception room is actually quite cozy --- the sort of place where you can relax, sit and chat with the staff on rainy afternoons as I did!)
I was given a deluxe suite (helps to go in the “off season!”) and while the décor was pretty much what you would expect in a five-star ---It’s really the little touches that made a difference. For example, the two goldfishes in a bowl (they even had names ---Rubeina and Max!) who kept me company. I found myself dutifully following the instructions in the note that accompanied their bowl and talking to them every day --- trust me it’s not as crazy as it sounds:)! The other interesting touch was the “health tray” which the housekeeping staff would dutifully place in my suite every evening. It had an eclectic mix of stuff ---almonds soaked in water, a pouch of Isabgol(!), lemon and honey, water in copper glasses etc --- traditional Indian “nuskhas” to alleviate various ailments of the mind and body. Another example of truly special service was the bunch of novels which got delivered to my room when I mentioned that I was out of reading material!
Now to their Raison d’etre ... the kaya Kalp spa... I had experienced the Cağaloğlu Hamam in Istanbul (listed in the book “1000 Places to see before you die) and had frankly been sorely disappointed with the whole experience so I was curious to see how much was hype and how much was real substance. To sum it up in three words “I Loved it!” --- from the royal décor to the skilled and discrete staff to the sinfully luxurious pampering --- even Mumtaz Mahal could not have had it better! I chose the Exotic Pomegranate Journey on my first day and the Aromatherapy plus facial on my last day and they were sheer bliss. Again it was the little touches that made it special --- like the feet cleaning and breathing ritual that precedes every “journey” as they call the experience. I did feel guilty about using up so many towels (not exactly eco-tourism!) so did all my sightseeing in the battery- operated rickshaw (arranged for by the hotel) in a belated effort to reduce my carbon foot-print!
All in all it was a wonderful getaway --- exactly what I needed. And I want to end with mentioning all the staff who made this a treasured vacation --- Devina, Ishaan, Narpat, Jaipal, Dhirendra, Nisha, Amrita, Jaspal --- thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ITCMUGHAL, General Manager at ITC Mughal, Agra, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having stayed at ITC Mughal - A Luxury Collection Hotel and for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to know that the services rendered were upto your expectations and that your stay was a comfortable and a successful one. I have taken cognizance of your comments and I am sanguine that you will experience the same luxury and comfort in your next visit too.

Assuring our best servics and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to ITC Mughal - A Luxury Collection Hotel, Agra.

chandigarh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

The staff right from the hotel gate is very very courteous. Every one is there as if they are eager to help you out. The breakfast quality is excellent and the Kaaya Kalp experience is ultimate..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

a very beautiful place for a stay in agra......very cool and calm place with nice rooms and a great service........delicious food with huge variety of drinks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

chandigarh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

very good value for money but other things are average.the rooms are not good.the food is average.the location is very poor.the e place is noisy.not recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Firstly, we thankyou for patronising us for your stay. I have taken cognizance of your comments and assure we have taken all the necessary steps to ensure that you have a comfortable and an more enjoyable stay the next time you visit us. I sincerely thankyou for your valuable feedback as this only drives us to serve you better.

Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

We booked this hotel for conducting 2 big meetings comprising of 60-70 paxs each conference for a new launch of the product.Although some of the hotel part was under reconstruction including shifting of Front Desk Area.inspite of lot of inconvenience people went satisfied because of rthe service of all including a successful coctails and dinner for a bi g gathering .
Incredible performance of room service /conf.services and BELL DESK is very well appreciated .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

Mughal offered the best of hospitality, room service, food variety. They have maintained a lot of gardens and took us around them in a golf cart! The spa is supposed to be best in Asia! We had a wonderful stay there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ITCMUGHAL, General Manager at ITC Mughal, Agra, responded to this review, June 26, 2010