“location”
Review of ITC Mughal, Agra

ITC Mughal, Agra
Ranked #13 of 144 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed April 10, 2009

lovely hotel; great touches especially the room slippers by your bedside, yummy chocolates and the soaked almonds:)
clean, spacious, amazing spa and one of the best i have ever seen, great gym and good location. Breakfast was fabulous and excellent service. definitely stay here again and good value

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 10, 2009

This was my second visit to Agra. This time around I was with my spouse and two small kids. We decided to spend 2 nights at ITC Mughal in ‘Chambers of the Emperors’ room. The best option for me considering the Oberoi was outside my budget and the Gateway fully booked. I was a bit taken aback when I first stepped out of the hired car. The hotel exterior looked a bit jaded. Maybe the management wants it that way to kind of blend in with the other historical monuments in Agra. The red brickworks do help in a way for this effect.

Check-in was quick (so was check-out). They even managed to get my two kids wrapped gifts (a doll and a boardgame) while we waited. The hotel gets my vote for hospitality, especially when one of the staff accompanied us all the way to our room. The staff would greet you all the time, are very friendly and ready to please. One thing to note is that you will need to go through a metal detector every time you want to go into the hotel from outside. Metal detectors are a common thing in India especially at entrance to hotels and large shopping malls.

I was relieved when I saw our room. It erased all my apprehension about the hotel being ‘dated’. Not too bad actually. The room was good, comfortable enough for all of us. Mostly wooden furnitures. Tons of stuff in the minibar to satisfy your hunger pangs in the middle of the night. The room had a large LG plasma TV. There was a sitting area complete with mattress (futon) at one corner of the room, near the window facing the pool. It doubled up as the kids’ play area and my reading area too. However, it did not face the TV. The bathroom was clean but the floor marble slightly stained along the edge of the floor trap. The bathtub I felt was a bit small. The peculiar thing was the salty taste of water in the bathroom. Could not figure out the reason, could be because of the ‘hard’ quality of water from the source.

I have to compliment the hotel for the gardens, looked plain when we visited them but turned out beautiful in the photos that we snapped. The hotel can be proud to have such large gardens all around. It’s worth to stroll in the early morning/late afternoon to enjoy watching the birds and flowers… and geese too.

The breakfast range was limited to me, not as many choices as I had expected. However, hearty enough for you if you like French toast, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, muffins etc. Some Indian dishes too which I could not recall the names.

The weather was hot (early April) so it was always a relief to get back to the hotel and escape the heat. The many water fountains among the shrubs helped to give that cooling feel. The hotel is close to many souvenir and Indian handicrafts shops. There is a shopping arcade within the lobby areas with shops selling marble trinkets, carpets, books, shawls. The price of course has the ‘built-in’ hotel factor but it is usually negotiable. In summary, I give the hotel 4 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We stayed at this smart hotel, set in beautiful gardens, as part of a wonderful 17 day private tour organised by Mr V P Singh of the Indian based company 'Legends and Palaces '. The service, location, and accommodation were first rate and the restaurant provided an excellent breakfast and some plentiful and tasty dishes at dinner. We have no reservations in recommending it for it had great ambience.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2009

When we were booking our tour of India an Indian friend said you will only need a day in Agra, well all I can say is that she hadn't stopped at the ITC Mughal. In this city of noise, polution and dirt this hotel is an area of beautiful gardens, an amazing Spa, exceptional restaurants and friendly professional staff.

We arrived by train at midnight to be welcomed by an excellent driver who looked after us for the next two days. Our hotel room was clean and looked out over beautiful gardens. Early the next morning we visited the Taj Mahal before returning for breakfast. The hotel had arranged for an excellent guide to show us round both the Taj and Agra Fort.

As we had booked the "Taste of Luxury" package we spent the afternoon in the Spa having 3 different massages, what a magnificent way to relax after the hustle and bustle of a morning in Agra.

The evening was spent eating an excellent meal, with our fingers, in the Peshwari restaurant. The chef making time to talk about his food.

Next morning everything was arranged perfectly for our transfer to Bharatpur station via Fatehpur Sikri.

Next time I visit Agra I will definitely stay longer at the ITC Mughal.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed one night here during a trip to the Taj Mahal. Having stayed at other ITC properties in India I was a little underwhelmed by my stay here.

As others have mentioned, the service, especially upon checking in, is quite good. The pool is nice, the gardens are pretty and the health club is superb.

But the hotel's layout is needlessly sprawling and the design dated (early 80's). It gives a vibe that's closer to a high end motel rather than a luxury hotel. The rooms were nice enough but again were showing signs of aging.

My biggest complaint though would be the food. The food was completely overpriced and the quality average at best. We also saw a cockroach in the Peshawri restaurant and the staff didn't seem to be too fussed about it when we brought it to their attention.

Given all this, I'd say this hotel, considering the price for a room, is only just average and certainly off the mark for an ITC hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Excelelnt stay.Very friendly staff .Excellent food ...Very nice SPA .

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed here for two nights and were amazed at the quality of service and the kindness and friendliness of the staff. We were very slightly delayed at check in by paperwork formalities (and it wasn't as though we were uncomfortable--the lobby is large and airy and smells of flowers, and they bring candy and cool drinks to you as you wait) but they still upgraded us just for having to wait AND gave my daughter a gift-wrapped doll. There are rose petals in water in giant bowls everywhere, and it is fragrant and lovely. The staff go out of their way to be helpful, from the man at the business desk to gardeners in the rambling, soothing gardens. The suite to which we were upgraded was spectacular---two large flat panel TVS and a massage chair that my son never wanted to leave. We did not want to leave this hotel, and we have stayed at many nice hotels in India. We'd been to Agra before but usually don't stay overnight: this hotel is a reason to spend a night there. We had no problems with noise, by the way (in response to an earlier post).

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family