“Less expensive place to stay in Agra”

Hotel Daawat Palace
Ranked #29 of 194 Agra B&B and Inns
Coimbatore, India
“Less expensive place to stay in Agra”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed in Agra for a meeting. We were booked into this hotel by travel agents and we didn't do our homework, so were left high and dry. The Hotel is situated very close to the Taj Mahal. They don't have computerized check-in so getting the rooms took very long. The rooms are of various dimensions. They uniformly smell very musty and damp. The bedsheets needed to be changed. The faucets were not working and the hot water is supplied through pipes in the bathroom from a very large geyser on the top floor so one has to order it to be turned on. Room service was ok. The breakfast was not bad, but the only memorable part of the trip was that we had daily view of the Taj from the top floor where the breakfast was arranged. The walls are very thin so anything happening in the corridor could be heard inside the rooms. Also in winter it was biting cold. On the whole it was a good trip and would have been better only if the hotel was a little better. The proprietor moves around asking guest about the comfort of their stay but it would have been better if some form of professional management is brought into the scene. The only consolation, if you could call it that was the hotel was not very expensive; best for visiting Agra on a shoestring budget.

Room Tip: Take rooms 115 and 116; away from the maddening crowds
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank gvrgvr75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Amritsar, India
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

It was a miserably rainy day in Agra but we were greeted by an incredibly friendly rickshaw driver named Vicky (I hope you get the chance to meet this honest, friendly man who says "you can spend money but in a lifetime you can never spend a friendship). We didnt have a place to stay and he took us to Daawat Palace where the friendly staff helped us with our bags and were proud to show us their view of the Taj Mahal from the rooftop (which is truly magical-I only wish the weather was better so that we could have enjoyed it). The owner's son, Himanshu, was extremely hospitable and checked in with us providing an extra pillow and blanket timelessly. We had some trouble with the hot water but when we called the front desk they sent a friendly boy up to help us. Sadly it didnt get hot so we boiled water in the kettle and warmed ourselves up that way. It was impossible to be annoyed with such accommodating staff. To top it all off, I was hanging out in the lobby waiting for my friends to get back from the Taj Mahal and I received a complimentary masala chai tea (coincidently after telling Himanshu that it is my favorite drink in India)! Thank you everyone for a wonderful stay and thanks Himanshu for the chai!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirsten P
Zagreb
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went to visit Taj Mahal and I had only few hours left to catch the train. I heard that Agra city is ugly so I decided to walk few meters in the hope of finding some good restaurant. The food in this hotel was amazing, their roof top was nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. Great food, nice atmosphere. Totally recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KaterinaLaz
Agra, India
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I've seen many reviews with negative aspects and I feel inclined to say my experience was nothing short of amazing. The owner took personal special care with us, he asked us our plans for India and then called his travel agent friend to come over and help us out. When all the trains were booked to where we wanted to go, palms were greased and we had a ticket for the day we wanted. Earlier this evening when we heard music from our room, we went to investigate. The very nice roof top bar was where the wonderful sounds were originating. Upon arrival to the rooftop, we were instantly recognized by the owner and waved over to join him and his friends in sitting around a fire and chatting. I have never felt more welcome. The food is great at both restaurants (rooftop and ground floor). This is the second hotel we stayed at in Agra, the first cost 1000 rupees more per night and was not nearly as nice, clean, or hospitable. The service here has been wonderful. The staff practically falls all over itself to make sure your stay is as good as can be. Their smiles suggest only the most pure form of happiness and satisfaction when they are asked how something was and the reply is "very good, thank you". I would be more than happy to come back and stay here again at a later date.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vagabondaaron
Jarfalla, Sweden
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I recommend the resturant for a nice, calm meal. The food was great and the venue nice and cosy with our own bon fire! The owner was friendly and service- minded. The roof-top view didn't show much of the Taj but it was quite a spectacular view of night time Agra.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I planned for a trip to Agra during weekend at late hour .I quickly looked on clear trip for some hotel there.I was looking around around Rs 2000 and by looking at the picture I thought this would be a good hotel.Please don`t go by picture as they are highly deceiving.

The picture just showcases the rooftops in zoomed manner but reality is totally different.When I reached hotel with my family,I was in total shock.It was quite opposite to what I had thought.
The entrance is very dirty with full of dusts.Parking area is filthy and stinks badly.People are spitting after chewing Pans.I saw some people having beer inside parking area.Someone spat on My Car door too.

Anyway, I had no other alternative as I already booked the hotel by then through cleartrip.I saw the checkout time as 12:00 and wi-fi facility here.On arrival my time was wasted in convincing them the checkout time is 12:00, Manager was saying it is at 11. See the foolhardiness of Manager, he blamed me for not showing him real proof through printouts while I was showing him mails and sms from clear trip.The very first thing the Hotel OWNER do is to Fire this rubbish Manager who does not know ABC of technology and is ill-behaved.

Manager was rude though the owner and his son are well behaved.Manager lacks basic etiquette of how to deal with people coming in their hotel.

The entrance was dirty, the parking area was dirty and when we entered the room, the blanket was worn out and looked like not been cleaned from ages.It had stinks all over.There was no ventilation in room and the only good thing was that they recently painted room , so room walls were clean.But the smell of paint was still there due to lack of ventilation.I hardly slept in night due to paint smell and dirty blanket.

I needed to check few trip details on net and then when I asked for WI-FI, they said that it is not available in rooms , you need to come down to lobby area.I felt cheated as they show on Cleartrip that they have WI-FI facility.

Overall, the room is worth just Rs 700-800 per night and not something close to Rs 2000.
I was truly dis-satisfied with cleanliness and Manager`s Attitude and would rate this hotel 2 out of 5.Only good thing is that the Taj is near by. Next time, I will stay little far but not look for hotel in Taj Gunj as these hotels are just cramped and dirty .

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are better in terms of security.Avoid terrace ones.Check the smell of paints, bed, t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

2 Thank TravelMan1233

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Noida, India
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Overall it was a nice budget hotel a lot of improvements can be done but that would eventually increase the price. A few things which were not good or needs improvements:

- Towels, bad quality and worn out.
- No tissues.
- No Mosquito arrangements until asked.
- Room Service very poor.
- No Menu in the room
- No phone in one of the rooms.
- No windows / view from 1st floor.

Good things about the hotel:
- Good value for money.
- Very close to Taj (A huge +ve)
- Restaurant food was good.
- Parking
- Digital Cable
- Lift
- Spacious room on 1st floor.

Overall descent experience. Costed around ₹ 3500 for 2 rooms with extra bed in one room.

Room Tip: Top Floor for view. Rooms on Top floor are small. Service will take a lot of time so order early...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family