“4 stars but reduced to 3 for inconvenience with invoice at restaurant”
Review of The Retreat

The Retreat
Ranked #27 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Pennington, New Jersey
“4 stars but reduced to 3 for inconvenience with invoice at restaurant”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed in rooms #208 and 210 on Dec 30 (1 night) which were arranged by trinetra tours. The hotel is new and had good sized rooms. There is central heating which is very nice during the cold weather. The service of room maintenance staff is very fast. The hotel was very noicy with the kids running around due to some functions!. We ate at the restaurant. The food was very good. But when I gave the credit card to the restaurant, the waiter came back saying that the card did not go through and that I should sign the charges to the room. When I returned to US I noticed that I have been charged twice! When I tried to call back twice to the hotel about the issue, I was disconnected each time when I explain the situation. I have to write to the email address on the website and finally received a response saying that the charge was cancelled. Why did I have to go through this experience which is ridiculous and irresponsible. I have then reported to my credit card company to dispute the charges. Remember to check your invoice when you return to avoid any double charges.

Room Tip: Remember to check your invoice when you return to avoid any double charges.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amynaadi1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Good service. Excellent room (clean) and breakfast selection. The hotel was nice inside and I would recommend it. It is not near the Taj, so you should keep that in mind if you are seeking walkable location.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had planned a weekend stay at Agra and wanted the hotel to be near Taj Mahal. I checked online and saw Retreat as one option. The booking was just one call away. Excellent staff to take care of guests. Amazing delicacies like amritsari fish, chicken tikka and mutton. Spacious and very comfortable rooms!! I enjoyed my stay at Retreat...much recommended!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank adityadua
Northern Ireland
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Firstly this is a smart and comfortable hotel with a super restaurant and our stay was excellent until check out. I tried to use my credit card to settle my account as was indicated on my booking contract but was told by a receptionist this was not possible as the 'line' was down. He demanded I pay in cash and when informed this was not possible further demanded foreign currency. His manner was arrogant and he spoke to me with undisguised contempt and I clearly perceived a racist undertone. I was extremely unhappy with this service but was on a tight time schedule. Between my wife and I we were able to come up with enough sterling currency to meet the bill only to be further faced with the lowest exchange rate I have have come across in india on my trip. This left me with some shortfall and led to further arrogant and totally unnecessary adverse comment. I paid the bill all but £1 and left the hotel with sarcastic comments about being welcome back to the hotel and raucous laughter. I was hugely embarrassed by these events and later became aware that others were abke to settle their accounts by credit card. I can onky guess at the motivation for the manner in which I was treated by this rude, arrogant and nasty individual who should be a source of shame to his contemporaries
I would never use this hotel again as a result of this incident. No doubt the hotel will deny this, make excuses or come up with some damning indictment of myself and my integrity. I am a very positive person and if you doubt my integrity or fairness of judgement please read my other reviews.
A great pity!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed January 23, 2014

In Agra, our third stop, we stayed one night at The Retreat. It´s not that bad as some people say. Our room was clean and spacious and the staff friendly. The food was really good, but a little bit expensive and the breakfast big enough. The hotel also have a pool, that we didn´t use because it was a bit chilly and there is also a spa room where you can get massage for no price.
I think this hotel gives you good value for the money and would probably stay here if I ever get back to Agra

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
agra
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The Retreat was clean n modern n was exactly like the pictures we viewed when booking! The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. My boyfriend mentioned it was my birthday while we were staying as we checked in and they took great delight in calling us down from our room for a birthday cake and special drinks. I would highly recommended this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed in Hotel Retreat for a day while on a trip to see Taj Mahal. The hotel is only about 2 years old and has modern infrastructure. The maintenance was however not up to mark. Bathroom for example was large and good but the glass partition around the shower was not properly cleaned and had dried water drop marks all over. Our stay was comfortable. Housekeeping and room service was prompt. Food was a disappointment. Though expensive, the dishes were bland and tasteless. Breakfast buffet was one of the worst I have seen. By 9 AM when we went for breakfast, various food trays were near empty and no attempt was being made to refill them. Only white bread slices was available. Brown bread and buns were not. Nor were there any cheeses, cake and muffins.,, At the time of checkout, cash was not accepted because they had no change. Further surprise was that they refused to give me a receipt of payment for rooms that was made through Net Banking. I needed the receipt for refund of VAT tax.

Room Tip: Don't order food from room service.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family