“Royal & Spacious Masterpiece - Truly an experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orient Taj

Orient Taj
Ranked #73 of 146 Hotels in Agra
New Delhi, India
“Royal & Spacious Masterpiece - Truly an experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have visited agra many times and have started in some of the finest hotel there. During my last visit to Agra, a few months ago, I had a glimpse of Wyndham Grand Agra, and thought of checking it out for my next visit.

So, a pre-booked Wyndham for my stay ( March 2012) though an online travel portal. After the reservation, I called the direct reservation desk to check the conformation and was pleasantly surprised that they had all the details within minutes of my third party online booking. ( I feel it is a better was to re-conform with hotel about each reservation to be on safer side.

Agra is not really a polite city. There is a natural rudeness in dialect and I have experienced it in the staff of the best five stars of Agra in past years. I was happy to notice that the guys here were must more polite ( i think they were trained better ).

The check-in was quick and I as asked if I had a preference of the room time. I preferred to chose one in the non smoking section.

The hotel is a designer's masterpiece. There is no much detail in every aspect of design. RIght from the lobby, its roof, the passages to room units , doors, walls, decor in the room, the large lawns for walks, the pool, the statues of horses in the lawns.. everything seems to be done with a lot of personal interest.

The staff is non-disturbing and leaves to at peace ( unlike other agra hotels ) Even while you walk though fountain paths, or lawns, and happen to meet a staff, you are subtly greeted with prompt namaskar, and moves off swiftly, leaving you to your privacy. Yes, this is a very private place. I would not recommend it to you if you are looking for lot of activity, except of the the filk dances in the evenings.

The buffet breakfast was nice and normal. Nothing exotic, but good basic, fresh and tasty preparations. There were multiple hot-counters also.

What I liked most:
> Detail of design and implementation.
> Room sizes( 390 soft for a standard room is large as compared to other hotels in same range)
> Electronic switch controls in rooms, including a special 'mood' button.
>The large walk areas, paths, passages
> The subtle approach of staff to everything in attending the guests.

I did not like .
1> Water fixtures in the bathroom. Too tight to operate at times, but they work well.
2> The fountains were not completely used and we wished they don't save money onto this .
3> The greens and flowerbeds around the fountain paths were not manicured to the level of the hotel.

I saw some construction in the backside of the hotel and came to know hotel is opening up soon haveli suits ( similar to amarvilas). Also, a helipad is seemingly coming up inside the hotel.

Overall, I was satisfied with the hotel and its services. I would like to stay here again, if the prices don't go up drastically, which I feel may happen. I hope they retain this quality and details in future too.

Room Tip: Try if you can get a ground floor room with garden view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bengaluru, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

We arrived a the hotel with two prepaid rooms at 1045 on a Friday night. Our local travel agent personally called them and reconfirmed our late arrival with them at 17:00 that afternoon. There was a big wedding there and they had given our rooms away. It took them nearly 45 minutes to admit this along with a very farfetched fabricated story and inform us they had rebooked us at two DIFFERENT hotels on the other side of town! The other couple was our daughter and son in law and we didn't want to be separated. After much argument, they finally arranged us a suite at another hotel with two roll away beds in the living room. Not a great experience at the time. By the time we got settled is was extremely late. They were not apologetic at all and the general manager NEVER returned our call. I also sent a comment to Wyndham customer service in the US and again NO reply. Our treatment, the lack of honesty and the utter lack of caring about what they did was so bad, I will never stay at this or any other Wyndham again. If you go to Agra stay at the Oberoi, the Taj, Trident or any other rated hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Amy Z

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

A good choice in Agra. Beautiful gardens and the rooms are very spacious and in mogul style centred around a courtyard. It was a little noisy at night from fireworks from a nearby wedding but nothing major. Good breakfast with excellent service. The bindi and lei on arrival were a really lovely touch and there was good security (like every hotel we stayed at in India. Our only real negatives are the restaurant prices (very expensive) and the water in the bathroom wasn't hot ony luke warm......which would be a problem in the cooler months for sure. Overall the Wyndham Grand was an affordable slice of luxury in Agra and we would definately return for the oasis it offered.

Room Tip: We visited the Taj Mahal from the West gate at 4pm in the afternoon for sunset and there were NO que...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 123free
Amesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Booked a suite for 2 nights as going to Taj Mahal a lifetime dream and a very romantic location to find on the first night that they had put us in a standard room. When asked why we were told to go through booking agent and it was nothing to do with them even though the booking form said "SUITE". Woman very rude and not very helpful. We had booked 6 months prior to our holiday. Spoilt a stay that had been booked in advance at an expensive hotel not the standard that you would expect.

Room Tip: Check they have given you the right one!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank hedgehog50
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

All 31 of us arrived at the Wyndham Grand Agra at night and we were warmly welcomed with flower leis and beating drums.

The staff was gracious and our room assignments were arranged with minimal delay. The hotel is not a conventional hotel because it feels more like a resort with many of the rooms located in separate building behind the main hotel surrounding a beautiful garden. The buildings are designed like the old architecture and the rooms are well adorned in Indian motif. We felt like we had gone back in time and checked inatbone of the emperor's palaces.

Service was good but not exceptional.

Great photo opportunities. We found in-room dining a little expensive but the pro ports were generous.

Breakfast buffet was standard.

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank tonycan
Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Beautiful room especially comparing the other great hotels in Agra. Room was large, scious and the staff were very plesent and respectful. The architecture is similar to te mughal era structures that you find across Agra. Breakfast too is well laid out withite a few options for all palates. Overall a beautiful experience and definately recommended

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

My two friends and I stayed here for a quick one night stay during our tour of India. I thought the experience was first class. The rooms are big and beautifully appointed. The grounds are very lush with flowers and fountains. The service was excellent. I loved the beautiful entrance way and receiving a garland of flowers upon entry. My only complaint is that during our dinner dining at the restaurant’s outdoor buffet restaurant, my friends and I got completely eaten up by mosquitoes. I alone, must have had at least 100 bites on my feet and calves. That was unfortunate, however the food, service and ambiance at the restaurant was very good. Although our room was lovely, the button on the wall in the bathroom to flush the toilet was very hard to maneuver. My friends and I remarked that you really have to put 100% of your weight and strength into your press just to be able to flush the toilet. I don’t know if this is with all of the rooms, or just unique to our room #151, but you will get a workout. It is a very nice place to relax and stroll after a long day touring the Taj Mahal. I would definitely recommend it to friends (but bring your mosquito spray!!)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends