“Nice hotel and facilities but the staff is the most awful I have ever seen”
Review of Orient Taj

Orient Taj
Ranked #111 of 147 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I came with my wife in a trip including Agra to see the Taj Mahal. After a while waiting for the accomplishment of the formalities, we have been taken to a room out side the hotel building. It was cold, foggy and the heater did not work. As asked for a wifi password access by phone. They answered that they will come to provide me with the pswd. Since I did not want them to come in, I insisted to get the code by phone and then they gave me wrong passwords. Then, some of these guys came to see if the pswd works (they know very well that it does not work), just for asking for tips... The awful thing is that in the room next to us, there were a group of girls coming to drink all night long. They were shouting and asking for drinks from the hotel staff. The hotel staff were coming during the night to serve them. I even heard them bargaining on the price of (...). I went out at 04 a.m. and ask them to stop shouting and laughing since we wanted to sleep and I saw the barmaid in the room with them. He came again later and again and again ... It was an awful night, we complained but they act as if they did not hear anything.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank naoufel c
Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed January 14, 2012

The Taj Orient's room was very cramped and not set for 3 people, as we had booked. Every few minutes we had to ask for something that should have been in the room (i.e. towels, cups, toilet paper etc.), and when the staff finally brought it, they held their hand out for another tip. The staff had way too much pride and were not so helpful - "it wasn't their responsibility". Worse still was the young manager, he was extremely arrogant and even got angry at our guide in front of us. We checked into the hotel at 8:30 p.m. and we did not get an extra bed until 11:30 p.m. - we were EXHAUSTED by the experience. I had to walk all the way to reception, at night, in the cold, 3 times, to try and get my father a bed. Even then the bed was disgraceful for a 5-star hotel. He did not sleep well at all. The restaurants were expensive and average in tatse. We had eaten better local food at 3 & 4 star hotels that we had stayed in. Unfortunately the Taj Orient ruined our Christmas Day. The beautiful gardens is the ONLY thing it has going for it.

Room Tip: Don't book a triple room - pay for 2 rooms. The extra bed is worse than a hospital bed.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Vanessa Y
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in January 2012 and deeply regret it. I arrived late in the day and it took over an hour to check in. Although I pre-booked and paid for my room, for some reason, the reception attendant refused to simply allow me to check in and go to my room, and instead forced me to complete lots of paperwork and and take a tour of the grounds in the dark! When I was finally taken to my room I noticed workmen on the floor above. I was assured they were simply "tightening a loose screw". On the contrary, I heard hammering and drilling for two hours until after 10 pm, when I finally called to complain. It took them over an hour to move me to another room. I had to re-pack everything and move it, and in the new room, the AC was not adjustable and the cable channels did not work. This may have all been bad luck, but nevertheless a terrible experience. I complained to the Duty Manager named Chris Cherian and had a subsequent discussion with his superior Mr. Vivek Mahajan. They both agreed to refund the cost of my one night's stay and sent me an email confirming the refund. I contacted Agoda, the booking agent and Agoda agreed to process the refund once the hotel confirmed the request. After repeated follow up emails and calls to Chris Cherian and Vivek Mahajan, I am still not able to get the refund. This hotel is not only inefficient, but they are also incompetent liars! I cannot recommend them to anyone, despite the beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank annap067
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed in a beautiful room for one night. The hotel provides a pleasant oasis away from busy Agra. There are four restaurants to choose from, an amazing breakfast, and nice gardens. We ate at the outdoor buffet, which was very good, and had entertainment from dancers and a puppet show. The staff was helpful and professional. There are also tennis and basketball courts with a gorgeous pool area (although too cold to use in December).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crowellms
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed 2 nights in this hotel . The previous name of this hotel was Taj Orient and I heard it took 12 years for this hotel to be completed.
The hotel was big and beautiful, very nicely decorated in Indian style . The room was very big (around 40 square meters ) and it has a bath too . The room decoration was also very nice and warm and we feel being at home . Some of wooden furniture seems a little old (maybe have been there for a long time ) . AC worked very well .
There was some issue with the management that disturbed me ( wake up call didn't happened , house keeping not perfect,delay in bringing your orders ,etc).
Breakfast was ordinary and we didn't like the taste of their boiled tea. The garden was beautiful.
The hotel is a little far from center of Agra but overall it is a small city.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank drshervin
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is truly a magnificent hotel. The property is huge. From the moment you enter the lobbly you experience the wow factor. Marble floors and walls with huge windows overlooking the spectacular gardens. The rooms are large and tastefully decorated and the bed was one of the most comfortable we slept in during our Indian holiday. The pool is beautiful but unfortunately the weather was too cold for us to use it during our stay. Bar service was excellent. There are several restaurants and bars at this property. We only tried the breakfast option but that was superb. Staff are very friendly. Located close to other hotels and good local restaurants. Would definitely return to this property.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank DarwinWendy
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The WYNDHAM HOTEL in AGRA INDIA Iis a gorgeous facility with beautiful grounds surrounding it. The room and the service was beyond compare. You can have dinner in a beautiful outdoor dining room with entertainment which consisted of dancers, magicians and other acts. The food was traditional Indian food served buffet style and was very good. Also, they have "an early bird" seating which is very inexpensive. I think it was 650 rupies per person which is about $12, and this included everything except alchoholic beverages. This hotel is definitely 5 star and if you are planning to go to the Taj Mahal you should check this one out. I do not know the price, as we had hired a private tour guide and it was included in the package.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends