“Very pleasant stay 15 mins from the Taj”
Review of Orient Taj

Orient Taj
Ranked #110 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a very well laid out new hotel. Staff were exceptionally friendly with our two kids (3 and 4). The buffet breakfast was plentiful. The rooms were nice and spacious. Free wifi, which every hotel should have but few do, in this country at least. Excellent swimming pool with kiddy one for little ones. They are constructing at the back but we were moved when we told them this mattered to us. In addition to the pool they have a kids' playground and a tennis court.

Only criticism would be that they needed pushing a couple of times to get things done. I sense they are understaffed and perhaps under-managed.

Would certainly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Spacious and well laid out.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Unfortunately we did not actually get to stay here. We attempted to drive down for the holiday weekend July 13th-15th and hit the worse traffic our driver says he had seen in 25 years. In 4.5 hours we did not make it more than 60 km from Delhi and were completely stuck in traffic. It was horribly sad because this was supposed to be our five year anniversary celebration and while I had been in India for several weeks, it was only my husbands 2nd day. We finally decided we needed to throw in the towel and give up. We had a reservation at this establishment but obviously we couldn't keep it if we couldn't make it there. The hotels cancellation policy is for a one night retention charge and they are charging us for two nights!! Total scam and absolutely the last thing we want to be dealing with after such a disappointment.

Prior to this we had trouble with them as well. They booked a train for us that I specifically said that we wanted to know the times it ran before confirming, before we had the times! Then when the times did not work for us, they wanted to charge us the full train fare, for tickets we had never wanted. They finally backed down but it was a stressful and unnecessary exchange. There were other little headaches too like them sending us a confirmation with the wrong dates. All and all, it looks like a beautiful hotel but there are plenty of hotels in Agra, don't bother with this one unless you feel like dealing with awful customer service and poor management.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wildrose4
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed here for one night and I agree with the other visitore from Trip Advisor. It's a great hotel. Rooms are nice, swimming pool is amazing, and the staff is really professional en very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed at the Orient Taj with my daughter as I wanted somewhere top class to escape the heat and touts around the Taj Mahal in July.

Our first impressions were good, with the checkin staff and process being simple. However it then felt like a death by a thousand cuts, with not any one think being a show stopper, but a myriad of small problems:

- no hot water. I had seen warnings of this in other reviews but naively assumed that something so basic would be fixed. Not so. We got the run around for 3 hours from the management. Ultimately it worked and we had a shower. The next moring we got up at 4:30 to see the Taj and you guessed it, no hot water, so cold showers.

- air conditioning in the rooms: sort of works, but the rooms are humid.

- key card for the door. E hotel has only one machine to encode key cards. That machine is broken so every time we required access to the room we had to walk the 100 yards across the property to have a manager open the door with a master key.

- Internet: fast when it works, nut this is at best half the time.

- room fridge: had 3 cans of coke and nothing else. This wasn't a problem as it didn't work.

- bathroom: the toilet had remnants of the last customers. So gross.

- room service: is only available when the restaurant is open.

The staff were friendly and polite, but completely ineffective in being able to manage the problems, the customers (at least 3 of which were complaining), or to resolve any of the issues.

One other reviewer cast doubt on whether this hotel is 5 star. I have never written a negative review of a hotel, but after this I can tell you that most 3 star hotels are better that the Orient Taj. for the rates they charge you have many choices so my advise would be to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 26, 2011

the orient taj hotel is very well made..
it gives u a feeling of staying in a palace..
rooms are of amazing size and very clean..
service is excellent...
food is above average..
overall excellent experiance..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Our family stayed at the Orient Taj in July on a short trip to Agra in July. This is a relatively new property in a very competetive luxury hotel market in Agra. The property owner (not a hotelier by profession) has taken great care in building an luxurious and well-appointed property. The attention to detail and quality of construction shows throughout the property. The staff is also very friendly and attentive.
We called about 20 min. ahead of our arrival to validate directions. When we arrived they were ready with marigold garlands and cool fruit juice! Welcome respite from the July heat of Agra! The check-in process was relatively painless. When we asked for one of the rooms to be moved, they did it without any fuss (perhaps because there were plenty of rooms avialable - only 6 out of the approximately 200 rooms were occupied during the night that we were there).
The rooms themselves are very well appointed with really (really!) comfortable beds. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained. The gardens and the landscaping is relatively mature and is kept in good condition. There was an awesome pool which we didn't have time to use :(
But it was not all roses and rainbows. There was no hot water in the bathrooms! I called the front desk and they said that there was some maintenance going on and will have hot water available in about 20 min. But even after an hour (and another 2 calls later), there was still no hot water. By then we gave up as we had to be at the Taj and had to make do with a cold shower.
When we were checking out, I complained to the front desk that it was unacceptable that a five-star property which was charging us an arm-and-a-leg was unable to provide hot water. They were very apologetic about the issue and offered almost 1/3rd of the price off. I felt that it was a very generous gesture on their part to ensure customer satisfaction.
Our vacation package included breakfast and we made full use of it! The staff at breakfast were super helpful. The parathas were hot and super yummy. When we asked for half of a paratha (stuffed Indian tortilla) to be packed, the chef offered instead to make us a few extra ones to take along! Very nice!
All in all, it was a pleasant vacation at a very luxurious hotel - which is still going through some logistical issues. The staff were mentioning that Hilton (or perhaps Hyatt) is taking over the management sometime shortly. I hope that such a change doesn't decrease the service level of the hotel - which was exceptional!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family