“Excellent food, but way too expensive”

Taj Darbar the multicusine restaurant
Ranked #63 of 310 Restaurants in Agra
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2011

So we had a beautiful day visiting the utterly gorgeous Taj Mahal, with me wandering around the Agra Fort and my boyfriend visiting the nearby bear sanctuary, when our friendly auto driver, Ali, took us to the Raj Darbar Restaurant in Baluganj, Agra, for supper before we took the express train back to Delhi.

We were in such high spirits that we barely noticed the exorbitant prices (traveller error, we admit): 500 rupees for a curry chicken dish! It is not a fancy restaurant, and we mostly saw locals eating there which we welcomed as we thought Ali took us to a local favourite.

Although I ordered a half dish, I was served a full portion (which I didn't know as I wasn't familiar with the restaurant's portion sizes), and of course charged for it. I did complain, but wasn't accommodated and merely told that when I ordered, the waitor repeated to me: "so, you want one chicken" which then meant a full portion?!

One thing I would say, is that Raj Darbar's food is excellent - we just found the prices to be way too high, in comparison to other, more upmarket restaurants we've dined at subsequently. Despite its tasty food, the Raj Darbar left a slightly bitter taste in our mouths.

1  Thank Riana G

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Our driver took us here and we were blown away. True authetic indian cuisine. Truly the best butter chicken us indians have ever had. My husband ordered the maharaja dhali with a sampling of dishes and it was unbelievable. Highly recommend this hotel. Prices range from 300 rupees and up.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I am tour guide, i went to this resturent because one of my firend told me about this resturent and the quality of the food.food was so great my guest told me.and realy food was best in agra

Reviewed November 3, 2011

Staff welcomes with a smile and eager to take you to right place. I went there with my group of 10 clients. I phoned in advance to reserve seats for my clients giving them approximate timings of group's arrival. We got delayed by 30 mts.at Taj as it was crowded. But that was not the issue with the staff however i had informed about that delay. Group tried different vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes and myself loved the yellow Dal being vegetarian with crisp Rotis. Everybody was very much impressed by the quality of food and service. As it is new property wish them good luck.

2  Thank deepakAgraIndia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Well i m local of agra and i like to taste the food of every restaurant in the city. I found food in this restaurant most amazing its finger licking good. My sugesstion is try food there