“The perfect place in Agra”

Friends Paying Guest House
Ranked #6 of 210 Specialty Lodging in Agra
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Managed by one of the young family sons, Bilal, FFriends Paying Guest House is a perfect place to stay when visiting Agra. The rooms are silent and clean, an the environment at the place is so nice. In Friends Paying Guest House you can feel being at home. The family is very friendly and Bilal, the son who cares about the guests is always making wathever people need to feel confortable, helping in anything you need at any time. He's a very funny young guy and you can trust him for anything you need. In addition, the Guest house is not in the Taj Ganj zone, wich is very stressing place,but it is only 10 minutes walking from Taj Mahal, so it's perfect for those who look for calm and friendly environment. Very nice and fresh food too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marc E

Reviewed February 4, 2013

At first our electricity didn,t work when every oher room did, when we told them they were slow to help and didn't seem to care. The promise of a hot shower was a lie it was very cold although the staff shower is hot, kick up a fuss and they give you a bucket of hot water. It was close to Taj Mahal but many hotels are this one was very noisy but I don't think I can blame the location as most of the noise was coming from the owners of the hotel themselves. The owners son was over friendly and very nosey, he looked over our shoulder when on the computer and questioned every desicion we made, I got the impression he didn't like us doing anything unless it was through them. For 500 Ruppes I guess it's ok but I think it better to pay a bit more a get a nicer place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank uelmcall
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The owner's son first took me to a single room, which is used obviously for their staff. The ceiling is under the stairs, so its small. Then he took me to a double room and i bargened so hard to get 300. He always tells the guest to tell other people that i get the room for 500. (this is proofed by other guest.) the toilet is attached, but no hot water. I need to go up stairs to use public bathroom. You will need their help to switch on the hot water. But the son rushed (remind) me to take a shower every 3 minutes. I cant be bothered so i went for shower. The hot water only last for HALF bucket!!!!! I guess it needs more time to heat up, but, again, they will push you to shower a.s.a.p. for some reasons.
Dont stay at the room on the first floor. You will hear 3~5 men chatting loudly at the front. Their voice is so loud, sometimes even yelling.
The food is expensive, most items are more then 100Rs. No rice before 11:30 am.
The only good thing is that the wifi is free. You can only use at dining.
The daughter tried to give me henna so she can charge me for 50 Rs. The younger brother tried to sell tissue roll for 50 Rs....

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank anny2216
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Good location, near to taj mahal. good price but not trustful staff and not hot water. Food expensive and yusuf (one of the stuff) will try to get your money in a kindly way. He booked us (paying him extra money for his services of course) 5 train tickets. one of them was too close to grab the train after the visit in one city but. He insisted that was enough time…Ok, finally we lost that train and the three next ones (and also the money as well) So this hostel is not good to book tickets at all. do it by your own or even in other place. restaurant is expensive, there is a good one just crossing the street on the right.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeylaT
friendguesthouse, Manager at Friends Paying Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for your Review . We provide here Home Food not Street Food . In Home Cooking My mom She use Best Spices and Best Oil in the Food because Same Food Our family Eat and We dont like if some one Become Sick with this Food . Our Price is very Reasonable but some time Guest like street Food and then they compare street food to our food . Is totally different . We booked here train Ticket and We Take 50/ Rupees Service Charge and then you get your Train Ticket within a minute .

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Eight of us stayed one night here to see the Taj and Agra fort.
They arranged to have us picked up from the train station at midnight, which was awesome, especially because it was bitterly cold. Yusef arranged our tour guide of the Taj and our taxis. He let us keep our bags at the place all day after we had to check out. Our girls were able to change clothes during the day after we checked out. We had a delicious breakfast and lunch there as well.
Yusef and family were all very very kind and the price was incredible for a location so close to the Taj.
The only downside was that it was a very cold night and the rooms didn't have any kind of heating and bad insulation. We didn't stay long enough to try the showers.

Overall we would recommend Friend Paying Guest House, but maybe in winter find a different location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yakbutter1
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The location was second to none in my opinion. Close enough to walk to Taj Mahal, but far enough from all the noise. My room was as any other typical budget room in India. Nothing special & not too clean. Food in the restaurant was very tasty but a bit over priced. I would add few more Indian dishes to the menu. It's a shame that they have a choice of 10 different pancakes but have no samosas, etc on their menu. But what really made this place special for me were owners, especially a young fella who was helping me out with many things. Nothing was a problem for him and everything was possible. He was incredible and went many extra miles to make me feel comfortable and at home in is own home from which his parents/brother run the business. I would definitely recommend this place to other travelers. If you are looking for a quite place where you could recharge your batteries and had someone to help you with organising your stay, look no further. I wish them all the best!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MsWyllma
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was a fantastic place, Yusuf who runs the guest house is a wealth of knowledge about the area and the local sites as he is studying to become a tour guide. The newly refurbished upstairs rooms were really well presented and clean, the food cooked by his family was tasty and very fresh!
The bathroom was separate to the room and a bit of a chilly walk in winter, but I imagine in the summer it would be fine.
Really well priced, and one of my favorite guest houses thus far in India "and it's around the corner from the tja"

• Stayed: December 2012