“Worst Hotel in Ooty”

FabHotel Khems Ooty
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Worst Hotel in Ooty”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel looks gr8 from outside with its aesthetic architecture that distinguishes it from others. But don't be fooled by its looks. The hotel is exactly the opposite from the inside. We were 4 and booked 2 budget rooms of 990/- each. First of all they didn't give any receipt or bill for this booking. After entering the rooms we found that the cot is sagging in the center. After having a look beneath it we found that the cot is broken (Room# 204).

Out of 6 or 8 lights, 5 lights were not functioning in either of the rooms. Mattress and blankets smell like rat's waste. TV is of 1990s model and only one button in the remote works that is the channel-up button.

In such chilling degrees where other hotels have hot water facility 24x7 Khems has it available only 7AM - 10AM. So if you have to use the washroom at night then be prepared to get your hands, face and everything else freezed (you know what I mean) with the icy-cold water.

There is only one member of the restaurant. He himself is the waiter, cook, cleaner. Food is pathetic and takes 30min - 45min to get served on your table.

On the same street you will find hotels far better in quality and service in as much as 600/- per day.

Also the driver of the cab that we booked taunted us as to why did we book that hotel when there are so many better hotels in Ooty.

So I advise you not to even think of staying in this hotel ever.
This is a collective review of all the four members of my family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Abhijeet D
Khems, Manager at FabHotel Khems Ooty, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear "Abhijeet D"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & giving feedback on our property.

We are extremely disappointed you were not satisfied during your stay with us.

I have checked on your reservation and we had put you up on 203 & 204 and then changed you to 212

Following is the observations :

1. After it was brought to our notice the bed is faulty we had immediately arranged for your room to be changed, unfortunately all adjoining rooms were all occupied.

2. I am not sure as to what you meant by no lights were working as you had not put on the key tag which controls the lighting and once you mentioned the same we had sent a boy over to show you how it works.

3. I am again concerned with your over the top exaggeration of all hotel providing 24 x 7 hot water in Ooty. This very detracting as no hotel in this same price range i.e, 900 + taxes would offer you 24 hours hot water in Ooty due to the severe Power & Water Crisis gripping the city as well as it not being affordable at this price range. I am sure your suggestion of Rs.600/ is over the top and non existent. Also you extended your stay a day , If you were not satisfied I am not sure as to why you extended if you had such adverse feelings.

4. You demanded room heaters to be provided free, which we cannot offer the same as like already mentioned it will not be feasible.

5. Restaurant - We have 4 highly trained service personnel working as waiters in our restaurant, and you claiming only one works is ridiculous. On the night of 2nd Feb you had ordered your food and said you will be back in some time, food was ready and served within 5 to 10 minutes of you being seated and your claims of it being 30 to 45 minutes is false.

6. I can guarantee at our price range you will not find better accommodation. For the benefit of readers, comparisons can be done on any travel portal available.

7. Your Booking was done thru makemytrip , and the procedure is : You pay makemytrip for the booking, makemytrip pays us , so we have to produce the bill to makemytrip and in turn your booking receipt is produced by them and not us. This is how it is usually followed.

Once again I hope this answers all your queries.

Anil Lal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bangalore
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked the hotel online after finding good reviews on trip advisor and must say that the hotel deserves all the good ratings.

We were three (me, my wife and son) and had driven down from Bangalore. We reached around 3 PM and were pleased to find the hotel a little away from the city of Ooty at a quiet and a calm place. The hotel's entry is impressive and there is ample parking available. The staff was quite welcoming and the check-in was a breeze. We were escorted to the room, which is very spacious and well done up. The rooms are comfortable and offered a good view.

We had breakfast and dinner for two days at the hotel and food is also good. I would rate it better than average. Since the first day occupancy was low, so in breakfast on first day and dinner on both the days, there was a fixed menu, which had enough variety. Portions are good and overall had satisfying meals.

The only areas I could think the hotel needs improvement is in the signal quality of cable TV and more channels for people coming from other parts of India other than south. They need to provide door bells for the rooms and also look at improving signal for airtel. In the rooms, there is hardly any signal for airtel. Vodafone , idea and aircel seem to work fine.

The hotel is slightly expensive, but worth the money.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Llissa L
Khems, Manager at FabHotel Khems Ooty, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear "Llissa L"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & helping other customers choose our property.

We Hope you have taken fond memories of Ooty with you.

Bangalore
Reviewed January 23, 2013

One of those instances where i chose the hotel based on ratings I saw at Trip Advisor (TA) and the hotel turned out to be far far different from what I anticipated. Frankly, my family felt that this was the worst hotel they had ever stayed in.

When I booked this, the hotel was rated amongst the top 10 as per TA, When we saw it, we wondered if it was among the top 10 or bottom 10! The hotel, while in the center of the city, was in a very narrow road and rather difficult to access. While the hotel claims there is sufficient parking for cars, that is a joke! Less than 3 cars can park in their premises - rest are to park on the road.

I had booked one of the better category rooms (as per the hotel ads) but the room was pathetic - dirty, small, smelly, stained curtains etc. We immediately asked for a change of room and were shown one of the newly renovated rooms but, of course, were asked to pay more! My guess - a money-making scheme.

Other than a restaurant, there is nothing else in the hotel - no gym, pool etc. The restaurant was like the rooms - old and worn. Service was surprisingly fast though! BF has limited choices.

My recommendation - you can find plenty of better hotels in Ooty.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms! At least, none that we saw.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rajeshkk
Dear "rajeshkk"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & giving feedback on our property.

We are extremely disappointed you were not satisfied during your stay with us.

.I have tried to re check your reservation and sent an email to you regarding the same, However Your response was : " It was in May 2012 - dont remember the room nos "

As for what your review states :

1. Parking - We have parking space for upto 10 cars easily, 6 in our car park and another 4 under ground, which I guess You did not notice.

2. I am not sure as to which adverts you are talking about in your review as we have not run any advertisements on any platform.

3. You had probably booked through an online portal which only offers Budget Rooms, Our Superior Rooms are in no way as described by you - "dirty, small, smelly " .

4. I am not sure what source you have looked upon as we never have mentioned we have a "gym, pool " on any information outlet.

5. Our renovated room would obviously cost more than the non renovated ones.

6. I can guarantee at our price range you will not find better accommodation.

Once again I hope this answers all your queries.

Travelers are raving about these Ooty (Udhagamandalam) hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 days with my wife and it was a very comfortable stay. I found the staff to be very friendly, and they allowed us to check in at 7.30 am, even though the check-in time was 12 noon. Hotel Khems' own restaurant called "Memory Lane" offered awesome food, tasty but less spicy, so if you're health conscious you will love the food here. We had the food for 3 days and there was no stomach problem at all. Location wise the hotel is in proximity to the railway station, bus stop, auto stand, Rose Garden, and Botanical Garden. It's also close to HDFC ATM and Canara Bank ATM. The hotel is not on the main road, so we could enjoy a good night's sleep after a busy day, with no noises to bug us. It's a safe and secure hotel for women, and all the male staff are very well mannered.

Room Tip: Before check-in, find out what size room is offered to you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smweb
Khems, Manager at FabHotel Khems Ooty, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear "smweb"

We Hope you have taken fond memories of Ooty with you.