“Good location, peaceful comfortable stay”
Review of Hotel Darshan Ooty

Hotel Darshan Ooty
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Very good hotel located very close to Ooty Lake. Booked super delux room using Cleartrip. Room had 32" samsung LCD TV. Very comfortable bed + one sofa + one small comfortable bed. Very good view of lake from the room window.

There is one big (common) terrace outside the rooms with swing installed. You can enjoy here anytime.

Very friendly front-desk. Check_in time was 12:00 but I reached early at 10:30 and they gave me room with-in 5 minutes.

You will reach Ooty Lake with-in 2-3 minutes walk from Hotel. They provide transport or you can take auto ( 40 rupee ) to reach bus stand.

Only problem is , Lift was not available in hotel because of hotel structure built on hill. Should not be big problem.

Restaurant and room service was good. I do not know if non-veg food is available. Please check.

I will recommend hotel Darshan. I had nice stay. Thanks

3  Thank meena_vijay

Reviewed April 6, 2010

Darshan is a really good budget hotel. Rooms are clean and well maintained. Location and View is fantastic. Just a catch - Dont order anything in the room. Breakfast takes 1 hours and Dinner takes 1.5 hour to reach your room. They really need to improve in this aspect.

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
2  Thank Blore-Adventurer
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Hi I stayed in a super deluxe room for two nights. The stay was good. The rooms were clean and well maintained. There are some areas of improvement though.
1. They serve only vegetarians, very hard to find non-veg hotels near by. They must have the option for non-veg as well to facilitate more no of people.
2. Our room was on fifth floor. The view was excellent, but without lift facility it was very hard to walk down the stairs every time for food or travel or for other needs.
3. They should have complimentary pick up and drop facility from bus station, which other hotel at that price tag usually provides.

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
2  Thank subhra84
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I have been here for a 3 day trip in August 2009. It was a great location overlooking the famous Ooty Lake. We couldnt ask for more. We booked a prince Suite. Checkin was damn quick. In a flash we were given our room and our first impression was "fantastic". But peeping inside the bathroom, hmm..not a great one.. Had a stinky smell. Asked for room freshner and it could do the job for just a while though. And the room interiors were palatial. Great bed-good interiors. The biggest relief for us was the food. We always ordered food to the room. And it was fantastic. From the variety to the spontaneity of service.. we were totally impressed. No complaints at all.

We booked the travels at the reception desk. We definitely had the best guide/driver of all our travels. nagaraj was the man. He was friendly. And we being on a honeymoon, had the camera man right with us.. Thanks nagaraj :-).
And another trip to Ooty.. my stay would undoubtedly be at darshan..

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EagerFlier
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Hotel Booking :
It was my second visit to Ooty in last three years. Approx 15 days prior to the departure date, i booked two Mini Suites in “Hotel Darshan” from “TravelGuru.com”.

The reason why i booked this hotel only from large list of hotels available is that during my first visit to Ooty with my husband, we stayed in this hotel and overall our stay was good. And as this time we were going with my parents and our 2 years old kid, I didn't want to take any chance by experimenting in some other hotel.

Location :
Located on the lake road, hotel is approx 2 kms from bus stand and there is no public transport available outside the hotel. To take an auto, need to walk till Ooty Lake, which is approx 1 km from the hotel. But the view of the lake is fabulous from the hotel terrace.

Hotel check-in :
We reached the hotel on 13th July morning at approx 6.30 am. Hotel staff didn't took much time in completing the formalities and soon we were sent in our rooms.

Cleanliness :
Cleanliness of the rooms were fine and bathrooms were also clean and spacious. But there were no toiletries(soaps, towels, etc.) in the bathroom. But the second day, nobody came to clean the room and change the bedsheets, etc inspite of us reminding this at the reception.

Food and Other Services :
As we travelled previous night whole way from Bangalore to Ooty, we were very tired and want to refresh ourselves by taking tea before getting ready for the sight-seeing. I picked the phone available in the room to connect to the reception/pantry to order the tea. When i picked the receiver, there was no dial-tone and it is then when i realized that the wire of the phone is broken. That was a very old-fashioned kinds of the phone and the worst thing is that it is not functioning also. Then i went to the room in which my parents were staying to use the phone and to the much of my surprise the phone in that room was also in the same worst condition. Somehow, I managed to go to the concerned person and order the tea. In 10-15 mins, waiter came with the tea. When we started drinking yit, we realized that its taste was too bad and it seems as if it was previous day preparation. It was not even tolerable. When we complained at the reception, those people didn't responded properly and simply told us that since the waiter which served the tea already left and therefore they can't make any enquiry regarding it.

Anyways, we left for the sight-seeing and next morning as it was raining in morning, again we didn't had any other option but to order the tea in the hotel itself. This time we ordered Pot tea with the hope that it might be somewhat better. After some time, the waiter came and he literally slammed the tray on the table. The corner of one cup was broken and also the quantity of the tea in the kettle was very less. It is slightly more than one cup, inspite of the fact that in Pot tea, they were suppose to bring two cups of tea. But the taste was little better this time.

Hotel Check-out :
While checking-out the hotel, we gave our feedback to the hotel manager but he seems to me least bothered. The way he was reacting was really very surprising and disappointing.

Overall experience :
At last, I can say that my overall experience with “Hotel Darshan” was not at all good. I recommend if you are looking for a good budget hotel, then do not opt for this hotel. The overall service and staff of hotel is not good.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jkpay
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Hotel Darshan - located just in front of the ooty lake is a nice place to stay . The management was the best among the hotels i have stayed so far in my lifetime . I booked the tickets a week before on phone and the moment i arrived in cab i was given a warm welcome by one of the executive (dont know who was he ) but the gesture was quite welcoming . Then came the manager , even though it was 6 am in the morning , he was looking quite fresh and quite professionally dressed . I just introduced myself and he gave me a nice smile - "Sir your room is ready " . I was overwhlemed with the reception i got . I booked the room at the top floor , where you have ample space in front like a terrace where you can walk , sit (cement benches are there) and infront of the hotel you have the best view of Ooty . The boating lake where all the famous moviesongs has been shot ( the most famous one from - maine pyar kiya ," dil deewana .....) and beyond that we can see the enotire ooty , sideways we can see all the greeneries around !!!!! . Service is quite good and i got almost everything i demanded . THE BEST EXAMPLE - 20-20 world cup was going on and i was eager to watch the quarter finals between india and australia , but that channel was not coming when i askd the manager he said in entire ooty its difficult to get ESPN /Star sports . I got dissappointed , however the manager assured me that he will try his best and after 20 minutes he called me saying "Sir now you can watch the match " . I was amazed seeing such a quick response as i almost lost hope that i would be able to !!! That evening i watched the match which India won , which added more to my happiness . Food is also quite good . Ypu hava a restautrent just beside the reception , you can either eat there or can order in the room . For trip also , we went in Swaraj Mazda but later we decided it would be better if we have our own vehicle , we got down just after 10 minutes we started , i asked for a cab seperately which was arranged in half an hour by the manager . I have gone to Ooty 3 times , but this was the best place i have stayed there .

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank key2rajiv
Reviewed March 20, 2010

A word of Caution:
Please don't even consider staying at Hotel Darshan. I can assure you that you would be in for disappointment !, and you would end up spoiling your mood on your holiday.

We had made an advance booking specifying all details like date & time of our arrival / check - in, number of family members, and we had even suggested the category of room which we would prefer. The hotel reservation executive had confirmed our booking.

However, upon arrival, we were in for shock, as the front desk executive informed that we would get a room only at 12 noon. They offered us a make shift arrangement, which also we accepted with much disappointment. However, when we were taken to the temporary room, we were appalled to note that they were the rooms being used by their workers and it was on the terrace. It was under renovation and horribly dirty for us to even step into it. When we went down and spoke on this to the front desk executive, they were very unkind and rude to us, and did not have even a little conscience to feel bad for the goof up they had done in booking. They were so unkind that they expected us to find another alternative if we can put up with the dirty make shift arrangement.

We found it very disrespectful and an unexpected kind of treatment that a customer could receive from hospitality industry. We did not want to continue staying at such a hotel. We searched and found another good hotel. It was too much of trouble for a tourist to face early in the morning.

They subjected us to sooooo..............oooooo much trouble even before checking in at their hotel. Then I don't have to say how much unpleasant the actual stay (if et al we had stayed) would be!!!..

So, dear tourists....., please please stay away from Hotel Darshan.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family