“Worst experience in Nahar”

Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked for the room before two weeks in Nahar, and when we reached there, he said there are no rooms for us and he was really rude on us. We paid half of the amount in advance and when we were waiting for the reception guy to turn to us, an another family came without advance booking and he gave the room to them. We really got angry and asked him how the rooms were available now. The reception guy really got tensed and he said we wont get the advance booking money and the room. After few mins, that guy left, and another reception came into the place. When we asked him, he offered us the room without any questions. They always respect the foreigners and not the Indian customers. It was really a bad experience for me and my family.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I had taken my family for a lunch at chandan restaurant. The waiter serving food was very arrogant and rude when we pointed out of food being cold. He took good 30 mins to get us hot food and literally banged the dish on table thus nearly burning my brothers hand. We had to ask the captain to change the waiter. Very sad to see a reputed restaurant employing unfriendly and arrogant staff. PLEASE DONT EVER VISIT CHANDAN RESTAURANT IN OOTY....

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank sanfuehrer
Reviewed March 12, 2013

If this is the best hotel in Ooty, then I seriously suggest you avoid the town.

We stayed here in December 2012 as part of a tour of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala. This place had reviews such as best hotel in Ooty, and promised good accommodation, Central Heating, 24 hour Hot water, etc. We opted for a "Superior room" in the garden extension (as recommended by a review).

Despite booking and paying for the room on the internet, all we got was a load of abuse from the front desk staff, complaining that we had not paid enough. There was no apologies or friendliness and it was as though it was our fault that the internet advertised rate was too low.

Having arrived in the early afternoon it took until 8pm to get hot water and the room reasonably warm, having forked out a further Rs300 to get an electric heater. Service was poor throughout, no bar and a pretty shoddy looking kitchen.

A serious disappointment and would recommend anyone else to avoid this place completely. I hope (for everyone else's sake that there are better places to stay in Ooty.

The only plus point for the Nilgiris is it's location which is great.

The town
Ooty closes down at 10pm, and after that nothing is open, so late night people (like myself) beware! We also visited three bars and could not get a cold beer anywhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank goandays
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Dunno where to start and where to end. I had worst experience in this hotel. For he amount they charge it is negative value for money. There are far far better hotels in Ooty who do not ask that extra and raise your expectation. It is a LODGE calling themselves hotel. I stayed here as I got good food in their restaurants as non staying guest.

1) Worst / No room view (Blinded by a wall)
2) Waiters expect tips for every small thing they do.
3) Pure Veg In Room dining (although they have a good non veg restaurant)
4)Even from the selected Menu nothing available for room service. I ordered Hot and Sour soup + Dosa @9:15 pm and after 15 mins they say not available. Finally we settled for worst tasting Sweet Corn Soup.
5) Here comes one more they have a sunset to Sunrise menu i.e Late night food menu. I called at 1:30 am for Pav Bhaji and I get a response that only Tea / Coffee available. I don't understand if they do not intend to serve why write and commit.
6) Here comes Sleep quality - Early morning you hear cars sound which are parked in parking and dragging of Gas Cylinders. It is so so frustrating I slept at 2:00 am with all that food disappointment and on a hill-station, I am woken up early morning because of al these sounds.

Only and only one good thing i.e location of property. If you want to stay near city this is very well located.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rashmi512
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We arrived after an overnight train ordeal and taxi ride from Chennai via Metupalyam. Booked in. Staff helpful and polite. Room seemed fine except for rock hard bed so I needed my portable comfort (Gelert super compact self-inflating mattress). Unpacked and just as we'd got everything nicely orgainsed loud bangs started from the roof directly above our heads. Maintenance work in progress. Totally unacceptable. A stereotypical taste of India ensued. "Oh yes Madam" I will tell him to stop." Half an hour later we were still being hammered into headache zone. I call reception again. "Five minutes Madam. It will stop". Another half hour later I flounce down to reception. "We move room for you madam, nicer room". I refuse to move after installing ourselves and insist that the racket must stop. "How long you stay madam?" When I reply two days the banging ceases and does not recur for the duration of our visit. Apart from that the place is OK, Its not brilliant but its not expensive either. WiFi only in reception area. Restaurant OK....but staff attitude re the banging leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Make sure there's no repair work going on before you unpack
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pemachotse
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Is right in the middle of Ooty town.
So advantages are: many, many shopping and food choices within walking distance. Disadvantage is that it is crowded, noisy and no view of the famed nigiris mountains.

Ambiance is good. They maintain the property well.
It is clean.
I took the standard budget room for an overnight stay.
I was very satisfied.

Bed quality was a bit bad, I suppose that in the costlier rooms they will be good.

Toilet is clean.

Food is excellent!
It is pure-vegetarian, and the south-indian food like iddlis, dosas, etc were first-class!

The service was excellent. This was off-season and I was pampered!
Guess during peak-season I may not expect this.

Car-park is large, but during peak-season I have found it to be full.

Security was good, I felt safe with my family.

Excellent value for money, but the published tariff is very high. Make sure you bargain hard.

Conclusion: Will certainly stay here again If I want to walk around for food and shopping.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been staying at this property very regularly over the last four years. There are very few good quality (clean, well maintained, with good food) hotels in Ooty, unless you go to the four and five star options. Nahar at Charing Cross (the heart of the city) is a great option.
Modestly priced ( do try for discounts), the location is also a great draw. You can walk around the market or just go in any direction for a walk.
The rooms are clean, very well maintained and the older heritage wings have a class of its own.
Nahar is a boon for vegetarians. It boasts of the best vegetarian restaurant in Ooty. Very high quality, consistent and quick turnaround. Of course, the pricing is like Chennai, being on the expensive side.
Its location ensures that you do not have to keep a car at your disposal all round, which is what you would be doing if you stay in far off places. The disadvantage is that you do not experience Ooty at all when staying in the hotel.
Even if you stay elsewhere, it is very likely that you will turn up at the hotel for a meal or a snack.
The hotel has an interesting restaurant called "Sidewalk" which has some good soups, pastas and pizzas. Surprisingly good quality for a town like Ooty.

Room Tip: check out the rooms- there are four categories, at different prices. The heritage rooms are the most...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business