“Midst of crowded ooty town”

Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel
Ranked #45 of 82 Hotels in Ooty
Tuticorin, India
“Midst of crowded ooty town”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Is right in the middle of Ooty town.
So advantages are: many, many shopping and food choices within walking distance. Disadvantage is that it is crowded, noisy and no view of the famed nigiris mountains.

Ambiance is good. They maintain the property well.
It is clean.
I took the standard budget room for an overnight stay.
I was very satisfied.

Bed quality was a bit bad, I suppose that in the costlier rooms they will be good.

Toilet is clean.

Food is excellent!
It is pure-vegetarian, and the south-indian food like iddlis, dosas, etc were first-class!

The service was excellent. This was off-season and I was pampered!
Guess during peak-season I may not expect this.

Car-park is large, but during peak-season I have found it to be full.

Security was good, I felt safe with my family.

Excellent value for money, but the published tariff is very high. Make sure you bargain hard.

Conclusion: Will certainly stay here again If I want to walk around for food and shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been staying at this property very regularly over the last four years. There are very few good quality (clean, well maintained, with good food) hotels in Ooty, unless you go to the four and five star options. Nahar at Charing Cross (the heart of the city) is a great option.
Modestly priced ( do try for discounts), the location is also a great draw. You can walk around the market or just go in any direction for a walk.
The rooms are clean, very well maintained and the older heritage wings have a class of its own.
Nahar is a boon for vegetarians. It boasts of the best vegetarian restaurant in Ooty. Very high quality, consistent and quick turnaround. Of course, the pricing is like Chennai, being on the expensive side.
Its location ensures that you do not have to keep a car at your disposal all round, which is what you would be doing if you stay in far off places. The disadvantage is that you do not experience Ooty at all when staying in the hotel.
Even if you stay elsewhere, it is very likely that you will turn up at the hotel for a meal or a snack.
The hotel has an interesting restaurant called "Sidewalk" which has some good soups, pastas and pizzas. Surprisingly good quality for a town like Ooty.

Room Tip: check out the rooms- there are four categories, at different prices. The heritage rooms are the most...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Caveat: We did not stay here. But had lunch and also attended the New Year's eve party on 31st December 2013 for INR 3000/- per couple.

Food was awesome! Only catch is, this is a vegetarian place. Their restaurants are always crowded. We went at 3pm and still had a 15min wait time to get a table. I guess that says a lot about the taste of food.

New year's eve party was simply awesome here. It was indoor and they had a camp fire organized outside the hall for those who wanted to sit infront of that and relax. There were a lot of prizes being given too like the Best kid dancer, Best couple dancer, etc. The owner of Nahar had also come to this place and took part in the festivities along with everyone. This was a good experience.

While there were hotels charging over 3K. This place was definitely worth every penny spent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Actually went to Sidewalk Cafe as I had seen this on Highway on my Plate with Rocky & Mayur, after relishing on the amazing Pizza. realised that I can stay in the same hotel of this hotel group which was Nahar.

Very clean & nice rooms at affordable rates (Do ask the reception for a dicsount & they will give you one)

The Room service is also efficient & timely.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms on 3rd Floor as you get atleast some view of Ooty
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amithkumarr
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I booked this hotel for one night only as I was transiting via Ooty from Coimbatore to Mysore via the Nilgiris Mountain Railway.

On arrival, I was soon checked in and taken to my room. It was on the 4th floor of a building at the back and looked a bit tired, but was spacious so I was initially OK.

I went out to get some lunch and when I arrived back I decided to have a rest.

I realised that some water was dripping onto the floor through the roof. After a bit of investigation, I discovered it had also dripped on my backpack and some things were damp. On re-reading some previous reviews, I now know this is not a new problem. Quite simply the rooms on at least the fourth floor of this building should not be let.

I rang reception and was soon moved to another room. As I was only staying one night, I wasn’t too fussy as long as it was dry. As I was moving , I noticed another room where the carpet had been lifted and the bed was out in the corridor drying out. So the hotel management know about this problem, but still checked me into a room on this floor.

My other problems with this hotel are:
Bathroom was mouldy
Heating in the room had no local control and the room was quite cool overnight, given Ooty is over 7000 feet altitude.

When I checked out, the desk gave me a bill for the room, even though I was fully pre-paid via Agoda. They finally agreed I didn’t have to pay anything, but still wanted me to sign an account that showed that my balance was not zero. I asked them to produce an amended account, but they wouldn’t. I then amended the account myself with a pen and signed it and asked for a copy. I was advised that this was not possible, so at this point, I cut my losses and walked out.

The only positive for this hotel was that the Garden Restaurant was quite nice. It is veg only, but I had a lunch and a breakfast there and both were quite good and reasonably priced.

To sum up, I would not recommend this hotel. It was the worst hotel that I stayed in during a 6 week trip around India and the price point was above the average I had paid elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not agree to take any room in the back building. Cant comment on the front building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Oceang

Travelers are raving about these Ooty hotels

Colintraive, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We ate lunch in the restaurant at this hotel whilst out shopping in Ooty. The food was excellent as was the service. There were dishes here which I have not seen elsewhere and so we tried them. There was a great potato starter, a bit like fries with tomato but more tasty. I could have eaten a tonne. The main courses were of superb quality and so very fresh. Why no fifth star? We both fancied a beer but this place has no alcohol.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed October 6, 2012

i went to this hotel with my family rooms were good if u take deluxe or more food was great in this hotel what ever u have it taste so good but too much outside people come for food only so its trouble for those who stay hotel location is in market centrally located if u want to be alone then this is not the place all the sight seeing are very near overall the hotel was great because of food.

Room Tip: take deluxe or higher rooms only
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family