“Beautiful English Hotel!”
Review of King's Cliff

King's Cliff
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed here with a friend for a night on a backpacking trip. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. Room service was cheap and good, the fireplace in our room made everything cozy, and the staff was super helpful. I would DEFINITELY return!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 7, 2011

one of my best life's day i spent with my friends while travelling is my trip to ooty
we choose to stay at king's cliff hotel, its a dream place to stay as it makes you feel of classical days with all an antiqueness things over there.
rooms were well decorated with antiques and modern fittings, services offered by them make u feel staying at home itself.
food is best at king's cliff which i think u can't find at any other property of ooty

i must say i will be there anytime on my next visit to ooty.......
thanks to Mr. Deepak bothra and their supportive staff for warm welcome we received and making this property as my favourite

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank yogeshchoraria
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Beautiful hotel and gardens with an authentic old world charm.We specially liked the wonderful dinner infront of a cozy firelace.Very warm and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Kings cliff was one of our worst stop overs in ooty
We are a frequent visitor to ooty, (coz i have some business here) and always make it a point that we stay in different places.
Kings cliff looked amazing on the website and we happen to fall for the virtual looks of it
though it is set in a nice location it isnt upkept in the best possible way
the car park is away in a slushy place
so if it is raining it gets next to impossible to get into your car
there is no one assisting you with an umbrella or anything
the room we were provided with seemed to be attached to the kitchen
the whole day and night we could hear what who has ordered and the dishes were loud
on repeated request neither was the noise level brought down nor our room changed
room is small and no place to walk around also
heater provided for a charge is not worth it
doesnt heat at all
breakfast was not upto the mark, most of the things were cold and the juice was more like water
not choice to choose from in the breakfast
hence overall a disappointing experience and not to return to any of there properties nor recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kkunal
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Lovely fireplaces with roaring fires in each room. Terrific woodwork in this old Scottish colonial bungalow. Nice glasshouse where standard breakfast is served. Handcrafted lunch and dinner made to order. HOWEVER. The first room we were in: Tempest, was so dark we had to have the lights on in the day. This was unacceptable for the price we paid. Also, there was no water in the bathroom early in the morning. They fixed this after I called. The management did change our room for the rest of our stay to the much more pleasant Midsummer, but charged us for the entire amount for the awful Tempest.

I must say that the politeness of the hotel staff and the great food at the restaurant did impress. The old world charm of the place was quite seductive. I would recommend the place. But what would it take for the owners to add a shelf in the bathroom by the mirror? I couldn't find a place to put my hair dryer. Also a shelf above the bed would allow one to keep one's watch/alarm clock somewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelBugBangalore
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This is a converted bungalow with lots of period style in the public rooms. Our de luxe room, Hamlet, was in the annex and was spacious and comfortable with a sunroom to sit in at the front. The services were not explained at the start. Only on the second night did we find the housekeeper, Jacob (his day off the previous night) and he lit a fire in our room which burned beautifully and brought us hot-water bottles. The travel manager introduced himself and was more keen to sell us what he wanted than to listen to our interests - we didn't use him. The rest of the staff tried to help, but they were badly managed and service could be very haphazard. The food in the restaurant was very good (you have to buy your alcohol in from outside) but could be very slow. As the restaurant has a reputation, outside visitors book meals (often in family parties) which slows things. The hotel is on a hill overlooking the town which makes it quiet, but you have to get reception to phone for a rickshaw or car if you want to go anywhere (takes about 10 minutes to arrive - 100 rupees for rickshaw into town). The scenery is good, but Ooty is very disappointing after Darjeeling, and especially Shimla:

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My stay at King's Cliff was a disappointing experience all around. I spent 2 nights in the Verona room, which is one of the smaller and cheaper rooms. When I made the booking I was told that the room was out the back and didn't have views, which didn't bother me. What did bother me was the lack of natural light - there were windows but it wasn't possible to open the curtains as the windows faced out onto a walkway. The room didn't smell musty or mouldy, but there are definitely mould problems - the walls and the curtains were clean, but stained by mould. The room adjoins the kitchen, which wasn't actually a problem. There was a little bit of noise around meal times and the faint smell of food, but neither was enough to disturb me. The bed was very uncomfortable. It's not actually a proper mattress on the bed, but more of a roll up mattress on a very hard wooden bedbase, which is something that I would expect at a backpackers, not a so called reputable hotel. I was able to have a good night's sleep by stacking both of the mattresses on top of each other (which I was only able to do because I was in the room by myself) but otherwise I would have been very uncomfortable. The room had a wood fire, but the fire would not stay alight for more than 10 minutes as the wood was wet. I pointed out to the night manager that the wood would not burn as it was wet and he said that all the wood was wet. So instead of just being honest about the fact that the fires aren't going to work and providing alternative heating, they waste their time and mine pretending that the wood fire is going to start. I think that they just put on a show, because they don't want to provide alternative heating, and hope that people won't complain. Which I didn't because I didn't return to my room until late on the second evening and got straight into bed.

The grounds of the hotel were the highlight, but unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy them. While relaxing in the garden with my book, a group of young men dining in the restaurant area (they were not guests of the hotel) were taking my picture (which happened all weekend in Ooty, I would not recommend that young Western women travel here alone). I asked them to stop, and when they didn't I asked one of the staff members to speak to them. Even though they could see that I was upset by the behaviour of the men, they refused to speak to them. In fact, they didn't even refuse, they just stared at me. Very disappointing!

The restaurant was fairly good. The complimentary breakfast was decent but uninspired - the usual toast, omelettes, cornflakes and a few Indian offerings. When I checked in, I was told that breakfast started at 6am but when I arrived in the dining room at about 7.30 I was told that it didn't start until 8am. One of the staff members was very helpful and arranged for toast and tea for me. I ate in the restaurant one evening, which was quite nice and not too expensive. The apple pie and ice cream in particular was delicious. When the waiter provided us with our change, he rounded and neglected to give us 6 rupees. If he had given it to us I probably would have left a tip, but because he just assumed that he could keep our change (there was a service fee included in the bill) we demanded our 6 rupees and did not leave a tip. I guess towards the end of the stay I had lost patience with the hotel and its staff.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo