“Excellent View - Horrible, Unhelpful,Selfish Front Desk”

Sagar Holiday Resorts
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Needless to say that the view is out of the world and lovely. I would have stayed at this place longer and will recommend this place to only honeymooning couples or youngsters.
This place is a strict NO for handicapped or elderly or with very young children.
Located on steep hill slope any movement outside of your room will require climbing steep stairs minimum twenty steps.
I had booked a room in this property with a requirement for a room that can be accessed without stairs or directly by lift/elevators (without involving stairs) to help my mother who has a knee problem. The front desk promised that they will give such a room . Knowing Indian service levels, I repeatedly confirmed this requirement a minimum five times spanning over two months that elapsed between my booking and my travel.
When I checked in at 10pm that night with my entire family in two , to my utter dismay , the hotel staff give us a room that was two floors below ground level and was accessible only by stairs (not less than fifty of them). When I enquired the front desk, the manager , one Mr. Ramesh gives a cold reply that they do not have rooms that are not accessible without stairs! This inspite of my specifying my requirements. I requested why he did not disclose this earlier and he has no answer. I beseeched him to help me with my mother's inability to climb stairs and he said point blank "I cannot help you". The worst thing was there was no ramp either (I figure it is infeasible to have a ramp with so much of a slope)
I was shocked and seething at the attitude of the front desk staff. They were unapologetic about it and looked as thought they were doing us a favour by providing a room!
With two infants and elderly parents, I had nowhere to turn to so late into the night and we had been on the road for more than ten hours by then!
We decided to check in and I must add that the hotel staff besides the front desk were very helpful, cheerful and kind.
We stayed there that night and checked out next morning for a better hotel. (we had planned to stay there for over three days). The front desk again displayed their exemplary behaviour.
When we paid our bills, I had to ask for my receipt and the front desk raised their eyebrows with a question."Do you want a bill?" I believe they were shocked!
We asked for a cab and they give us a broken down vehicle used by the front staff to ferry us to a nearby hotel. Again, the driver was very helpful and courteous and charged me three hundred and fifty rupees for a 5km ride!
As for the room, it comes with flies beware. Ooty has problem with flies and its everywhere! Perhaps/hopefully its seasonal! Like everyone says the view is awesome and exceptional. Its romantic and if you are fit and travel light this is a lovely place to stay in notwithstanding the front desk (hopefully you won't have to interact much with them)
Another point to note, the stairs have no railings or protective support and toddlers are prone to fall down if they are not escorted. Its pretty risky to let children out of the room unescorted.
To summarize
Location/View- Excellent
Accessibility - Poor (isolated from road )
Front Desk - Horrible
Room service - Good
Cleanliness - Acceptable (if you can ignore flies)
Food - Good
Facilities - Good
Handicapped friendly - NO

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 23, 2010

We had stayed at this property for three nights during our honeymoon at Ooty. It was an wonderful experience. The resort is located at Grand Duff Road away from the crowded main Ooty. The resort was built on the slopes of mountain . Our room was big with open terrace in front of the room . There was a garden near the room . Room service was slow . Great view of the valley from the room . Very pleasant stay . Recommended for couples . Tariff within budget .

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelgini
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This hotel is beautifully located in the lush green palm of the Nilgiris.The veiw of valley from room balcony is very beautiful & you find balcony in every room to enjoy the food with the valley veiw. Very nice to stay and charming. With all the amenities, you will feel like home.There is a tourist desk to help you to view the beautiful places of ooty & near about so do not worry for transport.Taste of food & drinks should be upgraded little more otherwise there is no flaw at all.Overall A great value for money near the city ooty with the beautiful valley veiw

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This is one hotel which score big time just bcoz of the location advantage.Have to say this is one of the best hotels in ooty having a great view esp with the personalized balconies and the stepped terrain.

But the room service and food can do with some improvement.Esp the english speaking skills of room service and reception.Being a bit more courteous also wont hurt the staff.

Overall a decent exp...

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aravind80
Reviewed January 15, 2010

It was great staying at the resort. The property offers best valley view, from each room. Each cottage has a private terrace and each of those offers the same view. It is located at a quite and pleasant location. Couple of minutes drive from the city center/commercial street.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
10  Thank gauravmaheshwari
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I was looking for Sherlock but it was not available and as i was looking for something out of city i booked this and i don't regret my decision. This place is in Lovedale about 10-15 mins from main city and it costs between 100/200 for Auto/Taxi to reach there..
they have some 36 cottages and each cottage has a private balcony overlooking valley. Room was spacious and had large glass door for the balcony (which is quite big), you can see sunrise from your bed.

Staff was friendly and helpful. We reached there very early in morning and even though checkin time was 12 noon they offered us cottage without hesitation. Service was good, we always got food within 15-20 mins.. food was ok,and the feeling of eating breakfast in balcony in soft sun made it taste better.. over all a very nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We stayed in Sagar for 2 days. It was a family outing with me, wife, mom and inlaws. The rooms were neat and clean. In one of the rooms, there was a problem with the flush. Else everything was fine. It was close to botanical garden and the view from the balcony of the hotel was awesome. We also saw an amazing sunrise. Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family