“possibly the best in ooty and one of the best in the country”

Sinclairs Retreat Ooty
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in Ooty
Indore, India
“possibly the best in ooty and one of the best in the country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

we made a trip in probably the most off season of the year- the rains. but the hotel service and the staff were excellent. not many guests were there but the staff was on its toes. the boiler and the wi-fi were under maintenence but even after that it was made sure we and our driver got hot water on time. apart from a special mentoin has to be made about the restaurant staff who seemed to be on an exclusive service for us. they provided us with excellent food in little time. the manager and the staff of the hotel gave us personal attention every time we stepped down from our rooms. it seemed to be a royal treatment exclusively for us. the room was well maintained and spacious. the washrooms were although not dirty but definitely not the best; but then we cannot underscore them as maintainence was going on and they had certain renovation plans as well.
all in all good stay. helpful and coordinated staff. and of couse very very courteous.

Room Tip: the deluxe suites are very good
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank swati2meetu
Sudhakaran, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. The team is glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your kind words will go a long way in motivating our team to provide the best levels of service at all times.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and we thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay on Tripadvisor.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I would rate this hotel as the best in ooty; we had booked a package stay in Sinclair’s and really worth. Need to mention about the chef, GM Mr. Kumar and reception, every body made sure that we were enjoying. we were given a valley view room which I would suggest every one to have beautiful scenic, room was big but only concern is bathroom where little crampy.this is the only hotel to have every recreations like play area,snookers,chess and carom and a separate library. In short we enjoyed every moment of stay. The food was very good and customized according to our wish and taste rather reading reviews can visit directly to experience. In short I will always stay in Sinclair’s.......whenever in ooty.they are ready to help in all ways if we are struck with tickets or something else...

Room Tip: always choose Valley view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KRKarthik
, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear KR Karthik

Thank you very much for your kind words.

It was a pleasure that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and its calm and relaxing atmosphere.

As a valued guest we would like to invite you to visit our our hotels in Siliguri, Darjeeling, Chalsa (Dooars) Port Blair and Bengaluru. We hope you visit us soon!

Warm regards,
NG Kumar
Sinclairs Retreat Ooty
Kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We made a trip to Ooty during June this year ('12) and we had a pleasant stay at this hotel. We came to Ooty after a stay at Coonoor and our cab driver was initially having trouble locating this hotel as it is located away from the town center on the way to the Dodda Betta peak. After reaching the hotel we were pleased with the location as it offers a great view to the entire Ooty town. We checked into the hotel and when we reached our room we found it to be decorated fashionably with rich wall papers and frosted glass in the bathroom. When we looked closely we found that there the wall paper was peeling off a few places near the bath room (probably due to dampness in the walls) but that did not dampen our spirits. There was one incident though involving a portable heater which almost raised an alarm. Since it was cold at that time in Ooty, there were a few portable heaters propped up with wood in the passage leading to the rooms. One of them had toppled over and burnt a hole in the carpet on the passage and the burning stench was unmistakable. But the staff quickly took the heaters away before they caused any more damage. The restaurant in the hotel served good food. There was a buffet spread during dinner and lunch was a'-la-carte. During lunchtime it is advisable to place the order early or going for a stroll in the garden and then coming back to find the order ready to be served. In terms of facilities, there was an outdoor and indoor playing area. The outdoor area opening up to provide an excellent view to the town. The indoor playing area had a playpen for toddlers, a badminton court, a table tennis board and a small gym with all basic cardio equipments. There is also a pool table which was hardly being used. There was also board games like monopoly, chess and caroms to engage you. There was also a collection of books available for the guests. So it had all the ingredients to offer you a relaxing vacation. We also went for a Ooty site-seeing trip after hiring a car from the hotel. There I believe guests with their own transportation arrangement will have an advantage as commuting from the hotel is not cheap. We could also take a walk to the Tea Factory which is in the vicinity and saw how tea gets processed in a plant. There was also a dam nearby which is within walkable distance, but there was very little water in the reservoir during this time of the year (just onset of monsoons). Everything said we had a relaxing time staying in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank nostringsattached14
Sudhakaran, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty on Tripadvisor. Your review and valuable information helps us to monitor the service we provide. Such comments also help us improve the service and build higher standards. We are glad that you liked the hotel, it's location and facilities especially the food in the restaurant and the activity centre.

It was indeed a pleasure to read that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel and it's calm and relaxing atmosphere. it is well known that Sinclairs Rereat Ooty is located on the mountain top overlooking a valley. The Retreat's scenic perch is something few others can match in the region, and this is a great selling point for us.

We hope to welcome you back to Sinclairs in the near future. Meanwhile, please join us on Facebook and Twitter to keep updated with all our offers and promotions.

Regards.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

It was a great holiday in Ooty....It has the best location in Ooty with a great view of the entire Ooty town. The food is great and does not have the typical south indian flavour most of the hotels have in this region.Dhruv Ghosh, Srilekha and Shabana looked after me really well and made me feel at home. I will definitely come back again if I get the time.The view from the hotel is awesome.It has a lovely big lawn where you can just sit and relax and kids will just love it.Try to stay in room # 217 if you can.

2 Thank Biswar00p
, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you stay at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, and for taking the time to give us your feedback on the hotel facilities and service provided by the team.

I was delighted to read your very kind comments, and I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday. Our aim is to ensure high guest satisfaction, and we are happy that you remained satisfied with our location, food and service.

We hope to welcome you back to Sinclairs Retreat Ooty in the near future.

Best Regards.
Junagadh, Gujarat, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is undoudtedly the best located hotel in Ooty with a fantastic view of the Ooty town. The food is great .Dhruv Ghosh( Resident manager), Srilekha, and Shabana(Guest relations executive) made me feel at home all the time. I will definitely come back to enjoy this beutiful hotel. Stay in room # 217 if you can.It has a lovely view.

Dear Guest,

Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you we use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

Your positive comments regarding the food in our restaurant and our staff being helpful and courteous is something we strive for on a consistent basis and your comments make it all worth while.

Please keep up to date with all our promotions and offers on Facebook and Twitter.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty.

Best Regards.
mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Ooty has plenty of hotels but Sinclairs Retreat Ooty which was recently renovated presents an xcellent view of the hill station, especially the sunset. It was not just the location of the hotel but also how well the gardeners have been able to maintain the greenery around the property. The rooms are cozy and the suites are big with bath tubs. But if you are a pillow freak they have only one type of pillow.

They have a multicuisine restaurant serving buffet breakfasts, lunch and dinner. The quality of food is yummy but the spread is limited. Though Dhrubo Ghosh, the F&B manager plans to change this soon with more variety.

The hotel is quite environment conscious. It’s a smoke free hotel and smoking is allowed only in the balcony of the lobby. Right at the bottom of the hotel is the play area which left me with another good impression. The hotel does care for the toddlers. Called ‘Tic Tac Toe’ the play area apart from games for kids has quite a few gaming facilities like badminton, table tennis, a gym, chess, a mini library (which has some great novels). Unfortunately they still had to open the spa and sauna bath. The staff is all very helpful and co-operative especially the GM, N.G.Kumar.

Another advantage of staying at Sinclairs is that it’s at a walking distance from the famous Tea Museum. I went to visit it and was amazed by the number of tourists visiting it. During season as many as 4,000 tourists visit the Tea Museum.

Will certainly plan to visit it with family
Chandragupta

Room Tip: Opt for the suite. Its spacious with bath tub. Also go for the valley view rooms.
3 Thank satana66
Sudhakaran, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Mr Amritkar,

Thank you for your great review! I appreciate you taking the time out to write such positive comments about your stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you once again. I personally would like to thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to make your stay the best it could possibly be.

Warm Regards.
Qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have been visiting Ooty very often, and I always stay at the Taj which is a wonderful place. Since this time I was only staying for one night, I wanted to be a little adventurous and booked Sinclairs. We arrived in the afternoon completely tired. The check in was quite unevenful. I was told that we had booked the mountain view.
I saw two boys with all my respects to the boys, looked more like urchins, with no uniform, dishelved hair at the check in counter. I was told these were the two boys who would take my baggage. I enquired from the boys why they were not in uniform, and they said that the uniforms were still to be recieved.
Came into the room, and opened the windows to have a look at the mountains. What I found was a garbage backyard of the hotel. It is important to note that as we drove to the hotel we saw a lot of garbage spilling over from the hotel building, but never thought that it was the same hotel we would stay in.
Rushed out for our lunch at the restaurant. We entered the restaurant which looked filthy with food, paper tissues and flies all over the place. This included the tables where the buffet was spread out. Seeing the filth around, I asked one of the boys why the place was so dirty. His answer was that there are too many guests. We took a table and the table was dirty. I asked for the table to be cleaned, and the boy came with one of the used table cloth to clean. All the waiters were with dirty uniform, not suting a good hotel restaurant. We ordered a'-la-carte food which took for ever to be served, giving us ample time to look around and be shocked. I enquired to talk to the manager, and I was shown a gentleman sitting in the restaurant and having his lunch, completely blind to the filth around him. A good manager would be ensuring the place is first clean and managed propertly before he settles down for his lunch. There were a couple of waiters who were dedicatedly serving him. They were actually running all over to make him and the F & B manger happy. I did not want to disturb him through his lunch, so I told the boys that I would definitely want to talk to him after the meal.
After the meal when I met him he said that he was busy and he would have time only by evening to talk to him. I insisted that I talk to him immediately for I had only one night stay. He came back to me in fifteen minutes.
He refused to believe that the hotel was dirty with filth all over the place. He was so sure that there was no garbage strewn that he came along to the room to see for himself. I opened the blinds and showed him the garbage. His answer was that this may not be from the hotel. I am attaching some pictures to show how naive he should be to argue that the garbage is not from the hotel.
The F & B Manger was the only hope for he was at least communicating to me unlike the Manager. He offered to change my room. We asked him to shift to any room which does not have the garbage view. He gave us another room. We rested for a while and in the evening wished to go for a walk. We had a shower, and the whole bath room was flooded in five minutes, for the water was not draining out fast. At this point there was no point complaining for we knew that there was a big issue of management which we were sure would not be sorted out overnight. We went to a downtown restaurant for dinner, came back and slept the night.
In the morning from the time we came to the reception for check out, it took one full hour for the baggage to be brought down, and a total of one and half hour for our invoices to be cleared
The person at the reception did not have the invoice book and was pleading to some one on the phone to either send the invoice or to come down as I was waiting for more than one hour. The person took a whole 90 minutes to come down. At one point the receptionist was also so fed up he was willing to waiver off the cost of lunch we had. I insisted on payment even if it took half a day. This was to make sure I know the limits to which Sinclairs would go to in making the customer unhappy.
We left Ooty for the first time in our lives totally shattered and unhappy. The hotel is in a beautiful location, but we dont pitch tents and live in the location. We do have to check in to rooms and avail of the services of the hotel. I can only assure you that as long as the present manager is in there, nothing can change. The F & B manager would also be good replacement as he is at the least reactive to situations. I am sure this place would have been a good property seeing the reviews before, and has come to this state only after the new owners have taken over. I travel around the world very very regularly, and I have never seen a filthier place which is compltely mismanaged like this ever.
Wait for some good reviews to come before trying this nightmare.

Room Tip: Avoid like the biblical plague
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank audant

Travelers are raving about these Ooty hotels