Review Highlights
Iconic bookstore

The oldest and most renowned bookshop in Ooty set against the backdrop of the mountains, offers a... read more

Reviewed August 28, 2018
Sagnik B
Mumbai, India
heaven for bookworms

Reviewed May 13, 2017
shwetajha2201
Bhagalpur, India

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 13, 2017

for a book lover like me, this place was like finding gold. It was just so amazing in here. I bought many classic novels that I had wanted for so long.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed April 28, 2017

A best place to buy books for book lovers. I was searching for a book for many years and I was happy that I could find it here.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Higginbothams Ooty, like the other shops on the Market Road is a tourist landmark and a haven for anyone into old school book shops. The musty smell of books, a friendly owner, lot of children's books and some stationary and tourist/travel stuff(postcards). I never miss it when I go to Ooty. One of the last surviving landmarks of Ooty, amidst all the commercialization.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed July 12, 2015

A very unusual book store with a good collect of books. I think the store is about 100 years old. Although I could not find the book of my interest there but found the place good to visit if you have spare time.

Date of experience: February 2015
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This very British sounding bookstore on Ooty railway station turned out to be a real find. Mani, the proprietor was a mine of information. I had started out looking for a book about the Nilgiri railway and he had a selection to choose from. We then started talking about books and we wanted books about the modern social structure of India and he produced exactly what we wanted, both non-fiction and novels by Indian authors which reflected the culture. We could have spent all day! Prices of Indian produced books are very reasonable by western standards and books are alive and well in India, whilst in the west bookstores are going bankrupt.

Date of experience: May 2013