“Really Blue hai pani!!!”
Review of Upper Bhavani Lake

Upper Bhavani Lake
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Its clean, blue, amazing, clear, scenic and eye soothing. Its going to be a memorable visit. People looking for far from city noise then its a great place to visit. Dont miss this one!!!!

1  Thank Kush1923

Reviewed April 4, 2014

First thing first - This is a HIGHLY Overrated place. If you have been to Nanital, Manali, Tehri dam you will surely regret your visit to this place. (Regret not coz of the place attributes but coz of govt. process and regionalism)

The place is ~40 Km from Ooty. The drive from Ooty to Avalanche is ~ 23Km with decent roads. The last 8 km stretch is a mess with road broken at multiple places and its a single lane road hence one needs to often go off track to give way.

After reaching Avalanche point one has to park the vehicle somewhere (there is no proper parking) and from here the nightmare starts. There is a small hut converted into ticket point where there is a govt official and a clerk. There are only 3 trips in a day with 3 eco vans. First trip is at 1230, then 230 and finally at 4. These guys will not take immediate payment but will only write your name on a random paper and will ask you to wait for the forest eco van to arrive.

Once Eco van arrives the clerks start calling out names and trust me if you are from North .. you will wonder why on earth your name is not being called. I had to wait for 4 hours where as my brother and sisters from South came and boarded the bus. I shared the same faith with couple of other north Indians and we decided to board the next 230 bus by any how. When the bus arrived there was again huge rush at the counter but we managed to be at front and had to actually shout and screen to force the clerk to call our names.

It is a~45 mins drive in Eco van to reach Upper Bhavani lake. One can trek down and take a dip in crystal clear water. Swimming is not advisable !! The Eco forest van takes a hault of 20mis and then back to Avalanche point.

+ive

1. Crystal clear water.
2. Undisturbed habitat
3, Scenic view

8  Thank Seepij
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is by far the most beautiful place to visit in Ooty. An absolute delight for nature lovers. I can find no words to justify the beauty of this place. Spare out at least half a day to visit this heavenly place. You will first need to reach the forest office at Avalanche which is ~25Km from Ooty city. The drive till avalanche is also very scenic and you will get to see beautiful landscapes. The forest Eco Van (16-20 seater, 150 Per head, No Charges for Kids) will take you up till Upper Bhavani through a dense forest (1 Hour drive - we were lucky to spot a fox on the way). Once you reach the top of the hill, you will be able to spot the lake. You can go down till the lake. The water is crystal clear and icy cold. I could just not stop myself from taking a plunge into it. I swam for around 15-20 meters then returned back to the shore quickly. It was too cold for me to breathe and moreover the flow of the water made it difficult to navigate. I was so mesmerized and lost in the beauty of the place that I forgot to capture the entirety of it with my camera..still regretting over that :( Nevertheless, I still have a crystal clear view of it...captured in my thoughts :)

3  Thank ladhapiyush
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is one of the must visit place in ooty. The drive from ooty to Avalanche so scenic and beautiful. The Upper Bhavani lake is one of most beautiful lake I have visited. The water is crystal clear and blue.There wont be any human livings around the lake. nature at it visit. if you are going ooty then this is must visit place.

2  Thank Tapas84
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Our local guide suggested this instead of Ooty lake. Bhavani was very clean with a nice boat ride and beautiful scenery. Not much there other than that, but it was nice.

2  Thank Chad B