“Quaint and comfortable and a little bit giggly...”

Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty
uk
“Quaint and comfortable and a little bit giggly...”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We only had one night at the Savoy; in hindsight I wish it was two. It’s a lovely looking place, high up in the Nilgiri Hills (the trip up there is an adventure in itself!), all colonial architecture and beautifully manicured gardens, the staff are kind and caring and attentive, and the food, though a little dumbed down spice-wise for us Europeans, was rather good (and dinner that night was a hilarious affair, in a lively, giggly dining room with Europeans in linens, and Indians in fleeces and woolly hats; 22 degrees means different things to different people!). Our room, in a 1920s block unattached to the main building, was quaint, quiet and comfortable, breakfast was lovely, and we set off again next morning, en route to Mysore feeling refreshed and fit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, September 21, 2014

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

Your positive comments have been shared with the team & this will go a long way in ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests. Guest feedback is invaluable as it helps to continually improve our guest satisfaction. I thank you very much for the positive feedback given by you and this will definitely encourage my team to perform even better.

Do come back to The Savoy hotel Ooty for your next holidays. Looking forward to see you soon.

Warm regards,

pathyil.vibhakar@tajhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Having stayed at a number of Taj hotels in the past and read many good things about the Savoy in Ooty was a bit disappointed wight he overall level of service. The guy who checked us in was not smart. The check in was cumbersome. Kept asking me for my Indian ID when he was holding our Canadian passports in his hands. When I pointed it out that I was Canadian and did not have any Indian ID, he said he thought I was Indian because I spoke Tamil. A bit dense. The first night at supper the service was far below standard at the restaurant. After we pointed it out, they went out of the way to make things right the next day. Our driver was treated very poorly. Overall got the feeling that the management was poor. Far below what you would except for a Taj. The property itself is very old and charming, a relic of the Raj. The gardens are maintained well and the room was comfortable and spacious. The approach road is unattractive. The surrounding are ugly, not that the Taj can do much about it. Can be better.

Room Tip: Variety of Rooms some in the main building some spread around the property
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you with regards to your stay during your arrival and in the C/In process. Also we have noted that the service for you in the restaurant is very slow. We will work out in the road part also and the work process is going on. Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action.

It is feedback from esteemed guests like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

Please do let us know whenever you travel to Ooty next, it will be my pleasure to have you back again. I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve you. The team and I shall ensure that your experience will be vastly different. Please write to us at savoy.ooty@tajhotels.com if you visit Ooty again.

We thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Savoy Hotel Ooty.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 22, 2014

The rooms were excellent. The thing I hated was the net access. Internet was not at all good. I was never able to get to the net. Even if I was able to the speed is very very disappointing. Overall the hotel and all other facilities are good except for the internet. I would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Dear Ms. Rajeswari,

I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you with regards to Internet. Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed August 19, 2014

A combination of Taj service with resort layout. This property is a must stay for those visiting Ooty with family (especially Kids).

The lawns, layout of rooms and corridor, games coordination and activities, play area for kids, food are all great. One cant ask for anything more with service to best of the standards with warmth from the staff serving you.

It is very thoughtful to have a room separate for living servants in case one is accompanying you. You will have needed privacy and your domestic help will still be in same unit you are staying albeit different room.

Also, worth a note is in case you are on all meals package, this hotel has a reciprocal arrangement with Gateway Coonor a similar Taj Property, gives you an option and take maximum benefit of your package

The only thing needing improvement is the 'In room dining Menu', not sure when this was last changed.

Room Tip: Go in for all meals inclusive plan, book early and take a Suite room if you have kids, you will not...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

We have also noted your suggestion-about all meals package, and the reciprocal arrangement with Gateway Coonoor an option for the guest, we will certainly work in this package to give the maximum benefit of package. We will certainly revise the In room dining Menu at the earliest.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 19, 2014

If you want to stay in a room built in 1849, visit this place. The peace , charm , heritage added with Hospitality of Taj makes it an awesome place.
Each room feels like you are living the old 1800-1900's time's feeling. My room had a fireplace. Ooty gets very cold at night and the fireplace provided enough fire to keep the heat in my room. If I had enough money, I could have stayed there forever ;).
You could be disappointed though. The rooms are very small and not very impressive in the first look. After all it is 100 + years property and the standards of hotel were different in those time.
A nice bar with English name is located in the middle. You can try some spicy rum cocktail and nice food in cold weather. The garden view is great because the garden is quite big and there are many rabbits in a cage nearby to watch doing silly stuff.
The food is quite good. Try traditional stuff rather than international.
The only point I disliked is that the bar tender was pretty inexperienced. We paid a good money for a cocktail that he did not make that well. Not his fault though, he was just a trainee. I ask Taj to employ more experienced people to make it a better place. The employees are friendly and willing to help as ever.
If you love old world, be there. Don't worry about small issues.

Room Tip: Choose the room with Fireplace built in
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Greetings for the day 

I thank you very much for your time to give a feedback about our hotel.

I am happy that you found our services to your liking including peace , charm , heritage added with Hospitality ,also the food . Also We also note that your experience in our bar is not up-to the expectations.We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services . We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

I thank you once again for your time and the feedback & look forward to having you again at The Savoy Hotel Ooty

Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed August 8, 2014

A very lovely place without much crowd. I happen to stay in this property on my trip with my friends to Ooty. Even though the reception and the restaurant/bar is smaller compared to the other Taj hotels I have stayed, the staffs still had that professional touch in them. We stayed for a night and I was amazed to find the cottage which was allotted to us. It was HUGE. In one corner there was a double bed and a coutch and on the other corner there was a fire place and a table. The rooms were having wooden floorings and was also neat and clean. Our cottage had a small open sitting lawn with a couple of chairs and surrounded with beautiful flowering plants. We really enjoyed the stay and the service we got was up to the standard of Taj. In the evening we were a little discomfortable with the small bar when the service person said he will serve our drinks in the restaurant. We had steak and wine which was so delicious that we called up the Chef to convey our gratitudes. While we were about to retire to our beds, an elderly housekeeping person came to our room to help us with lighting the fire place. We had a very amazing stay. The things I noted was even though the receptions and bar was small, they really maintained it well. And the staffs were very friendly and also had a professional way of doing things. Keep it up guys!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank joejoshua1442
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, August 17, 2014

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I must say that I had lots of expectations from Savoy. So on the first day I was disappointed because the rooms weren't as great as I pictured it to be. But then everything got better as I stayed. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever had. Must thank the chef. I forgot his name. I remember he is from Kerala and he was very friendly. He made sure that we got crispy dosa after we complained. But then the dinner is horrible. We had pasta and pizza. It was very stale. So it's better to visit other places for dinner. The hotel service is pretty good but the only downfall is that there is no free wifi. I mean I felt that was a necessity for the guests. Coming to the rooms, well I can't say it was great. We stayed in the superior rooms. It was a very normal room, nothing special. The only problem was that the flooring made a lot of noise upon being walked. So it was very disturbing. Other than all this, the hotel is pretty good. The Ayurvedic massage is amazing. There is also a well equipped gym. Overall, the experience was good.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

We have noticed your positive feed back regarding the dining hall B/Fast & Ayurvedic experience. We had shared this message with our chef Mr.Joseph and he will be duly recognized for his services.

Also I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you with regards to your expectations are not met in the rooms also in the Pizza. Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action.