“Awesome experience yet again”

Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty
Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Ooty
Bengaluru, India
“Awesome experience yet again”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

If you want to stay in a room built in 1849, visit this place. The peace , charm , heritage added with Hospitality of Taj makes it an awesome place.
Each room feels like you are living the old 1800-1900's time's feeling. My room had a fireplace. Ooty gets very cold at night and the fireplace provided enough fire to keep the heat in my room. If I had enough money, I could have stayed there forever ;).
You could be disappointed though. The rooms are very small and not very impressive in the first look. After all it is 100 + years property and the standards of hotel were different in those time.
A nice bar with English name is located in the middle. You can try some spicy rum cocktail and nice food in cold weather. The garden view is great because the garden is quite big and there are many rabbits in a cage nearby to watch doing silly stuff.
The food is quite good. Try traditional stuff rather than international.
The only point I disliked is that the bar tender was pretty inexperienced. We paid a good money for a cocktail that he did not make that well. Not his fault though, he was just a trainee. I ask Taj to employ more experienced people to make it a better place. The employees are friendly and willing to help as ever.
If you love old world, be there. Don't worry about small issues.

Room Tip: Choose the room with Fireplace built in
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, September 16, 2014

Greetings for the day 

I thank you very much for your time to give a feedback about our hotel.

I am happy that you found our services to your liking including peace , charm , heritage added with Hospitality ,also the food . Also We also note that your experience in our bar is not up-to the expectations.We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services . We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

pathyil.vibhakar@tajhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed August 8, 2014

A very lovely place without much crowd. I happen to stay in this property on my trip with my friends to Ooty. Even though the reception and the restaurant/bar is smaller compared to the other Taj hotels I have stayed, the staffs still had that professional touch in them. We stayed for a night and I was amazed to find the cottage which was allotted to us. It was HUGE. In one corner there was a double bed and a coutch and on the other corner there was a fire place and a table. The rooms were having wooden floorings and was also neat and clean. Our cottage had a small open sitting lawn with a couple of chairs and surrounded with beautiful flowering plants. We really enjoyed the stay and the service we got was up to the standard of Taj. In the evening we were a little discomfortable with the small bar when the service person said he will serve our drinks in the restaurant. We had steak and wine which was so delicious that we called up the Chef to convey our gratitudes. While we were about to retire to our beds, an elderly housekeeping person came to our room to help us with lighting the fire place. We had a very amazing stay. The things I noted was even though the receptions and bar was small, they really maintained it well. And the staffs were very friendly and also had a professional way of doing things. Keep it up guys!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank joejoshua1442
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

Do come back to The Savoy hotel Ooty for your next holidays. Looking forward to see you soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I must say that I had lots of expectations from Savoy. So on the first day I was disappointed because the rooms weren't as great as I pictured it to be. But then everything got better as I stayed. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever had. Must thank the chef. I forgot his name. I remember he is from Kerala and he was very friendly. He made sure that we got crispy dosa after we complained. But then the dinner is horrible. We had pasta and pizza. It was very stale. So it's better to visit other places for dinner. The hotel service is pretty good but the only downfall is that there is no free wifi. I mean I felt that was a necessity for the guests. Coming to the rooms, well I can't say it was great. We stayed in the superior rooms. It was a very normal room, nothing special. The only problem was that the flooring made a lot of noise upon being walked. So it was very disturbing. Other than all this, the hotel is pretty good. The Ayurvedic massage is amazing. There is also a well equipped gym. Overall, the experience was good.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

We have noticed your positive feed back regarding the dining hall B/Fast & Ayurvedic experience. We had shared this message with our chef Mr.Joseph and he will be duly recognized for his services.

Also I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you with regards to your expectations are not met in the rooms also in the Pizza. Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action.

It is feedback from esteemed guests like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

Please do let us know whenever you travel to Ooty next, it will be my pleasure to have you back again. I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve you. The team and I shall ensure that your experience will be vastly different. Please write to us at savoy.ooty@tajhotels.com if you visit Ooty again.

We thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Savoy Hotel Ooty.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Dating back to the 1830s, this is one hotel you must experience for the colonial charm and the exquisite landscaped gardens! Spend your evenings reading by the fireplace or laze away your afternoons in the sun and eat heavenly meals in the old dining hall.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Samra1000
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Samra,

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

We are happy to note that you have enjoyed our colonial charm exquisite landscaped gardens! Your positive comments have been shared with the team & this will go a long way in ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests. Guest feedback is invaluable as it helps to continually improve our guest satisfaction. I thank you very much for the positive feedback given by you and this will definitely encourage my team to perform even better.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 3, 2014

i stayed there in jan 2014 wit my wife n its the most beautiful property in ooty i hv seen ,,,staff is very good wit good nature ,always ready to help,,,bbf was excellent ,,hygene is maintained n the best part of the room is the fire place in the room...just loved it..thanx for beautiful experience on my honeymoon trip

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linusrodrigues
Dear Rodrigues,

Greetings for the day !!!!

I thank you very much for your time to give a positive feedback about our hotel.

I am happy that you found our services to your liking especially our hotel fire places. We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services and such positive feedback encourages us to do even better.

I thank you once again for your time and the feedback & look forward to having you again at The Savoy Hotel Ooty.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed in the 2-bedroom suite (Sunnyside 308) which has 1 bathroom only (slightly tricky in the mornings). Ooty was wet through out our stay but we bared the weather and ventured out.

Positives -
1. Taj property - so you can expect decent class in it.
2. Away from the madness of the Ooty town - quite in the nights.
3. Colonial style - though a bit rundown
4. Fireplace was a great idea .. kept the rooms warm. Complemented the electric heaters well.
5. Decent sleep quality in the twin bed room (kids used it)
6. Great breakfast spread - good mix of continental and Indian breakfast.
7. Pony ride inside the campus - my son loved it and went on the horse all 3 days. 100 rupees per long ride - worth it.

Negatives -
1. A bit rundown rooms - can be better maintained. The sofas & chairs look old & I could feel the springs in the double bed. I had to sleep in the twin bed one night due to my backache from the double bed
2. Lunch & dinner in the restaurant are not great. If you are a foodie like me, you won't appreciate the food here. Quite unlike Taj but I guess this is a perennial problem as you see from other reviews here.
3. We ordered pasta for the kids and told them to make it bland. They made it spicy & kids could not eat it. They took it back and did not return for 20 minutes. They brought it to the room later but spicy still. I complained to the reception & the F&B manager (Avinash) called me immediately to apologize. He came across as a service oriented person & reversed the charges for this item - good gesture.
4. 1 bathroom for 2 bedrooms is not sufficient. A bathtub would have added more glamour ... @10,000 INR a night, this is something that would make guests feel good. Shower area needs a good scrub - we could see black mold buildup in the corners.
5. Room service bit slow for everything - ask them for anything & they needed 1 more reminder on most occasions
6 Wifi is not free - INR 660 per day. Taj should look at providing this free to the guests.

Rating - 3.5 / 5

Visit again ? I don't mind if they fix the rooms a bit more and change the kitchen staff :-)

Room Tip: Lawn facing rooms are a better option
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sriluck
Dear Sir,

Greetings for the day IIII

Thank you very much for posting your experience at The Savoy Hotel Ooty on Trip Advisor and for appreciating our hotel

The team and I are delighted to read your positive review of our product, colonial style, Fire place, B/Fast and facilities like pony ride in our hotel.

Also I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you with regards to your stay as the sofas and the chairs are very old. Food and pastas were not up to your expectations also black mold buildup in the corners of the bathroom in the corners . Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action

Guwahati, Assam, India
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Heritage property no doubt, but sadly has seen its best days. For people sentimental about colonial style this property is apt. The service and food lived up to the Taj expectations. Do not expect the spic n span of newer Taj properties.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mr.Konwar,

Greetings for the day !!!!

The team and I are delighted to read your positive review of our product, food and facilities.

Thank you once again for your recognition and we hope to have the pleasure of your continued visits to our hotel. Please feel free to write to us as savoy.ooty@tajhotels.com if you visit Ooty again. We will be glad to have you once again with us.