“A great stay!”

Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Being the Taj, theres not much I can say except - very very good stay. The rooms are the same as they would have been 30 years back - they have kept the old world charm in other words. (nothing fancy at all - a few things could do with renovation - doors and windows for one) The bathroom was perfectly renovated though and supplies were a plenty. Stayed in a suite which had two bedrooms and one bathroom. There was a fireplace in the dining area of the suite.
All said and done we loved our little cottage suite. Service was great. Staff was very polite. The dining room was very nice. Dimly lit, wooden panelled walls. Took you back in time. I am happy that they have not converted the hotel and made it ultra modern. I would definitely go back. Missing my holiday at the Savoy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty

Reviewed November 17, 2012

The wooden floors in the rooms need a desperate upgrade as they make sound as you walk on it. The staff was very kind and polite. The food offered in the restaurant, in-room dining was very good. Everything from toy train tickets to taxi for sight seeing was readily available. Being a TAJ I expected a good service and I'm pleased to stay I did get that kind of service. We had a very nice time in Ooty and I found the staff very polite and helpful. However the hotel definitely needs an upgrade especially the wooden floor.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Difficult review: top character (colonial) but average service. The rooms are indeed old fashioned but that is part of the character, the dimly lit dining room with paneled walls is also part of the character. In Europe these small edges and lack of perfect maintenance would be considered a minus but in India this is OK, as the rates are also non European.
Perfect climate in the hills, chilly in the evening, sunny during day time. I know why the English moved their colonial capital to Ooty during the hot season.
But, but, but: mediocre breakfast, average Indian buffet, the entire wine list was ONE (yes, one) bottle of Indian red wine. The bar is not heated in the evening and the cocktails contain hardly alcohol, if any.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We went up to the Taj one day for lunch as we had thought of staying there. In the end we picked the Gem Park as it has a pool (see review!) We were made welcome and shown into a dimly lit dining room, we were the only diners. The paneled walls with inset mirrors matched the piano.
Service was good but the food was mixed. Starters were fine if ordinary. My husband took a lamb curry for his main course but unfortunately he did not stipulate 'off the bone'. When it came it was not only full of bone but seemed to have been butchered with a machete and was filled with bone splinters. My fish curry was good. Alcohol was served here so we could have a beer. We took a peek at the bungalows, they looked a bit tired.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Being among the oldest hotels in Ooty, this place is well maintained as a Heritage site. Although
considering it to be a TAJ property, the hotel below average. The location is good and is very peaceful. The hotel staff are very active and that was a plus plus point.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sudanshu80
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Not easy to review this hotel fairly, as a real mixture! It is a 'heritage hotel' (protected status etc) and has much more character about it than most. The good initial impression fades on closer inspection - rooms are old fashioned (which could be fine) but frankly grubby in the corners, and not that well equipped. Our room was large but tatty - others in our group had more updated rooms (walk-in marble showers etc) but ours had a shallow bath with no real shower, just a shower head which immediately fell off. Towels were good, beds large and fine - hot water bottles were very nice! Grounds pleasant enough but full of European plants (the hotels "Garden Walk" was disappointing), and rather messed up now by work for the updating. No pool. Our group deal unfortunately included three set dinners - no real choice - and breakfast rather limited. OK but frankly not good enough for a Taj hotel. Lunch was not cheap and not that good. The dining room is dark panelled - I liked it, others did not. Staff and management generally OK or better, but most service was slow or poor.... some of our group had really bad service eg. 'misleading' answers given to questions, no early wake-up call as requested, etc. We wanted drinks in the totally empty bar - had to go and ask for a barman at reception, then waited about 15 mins for drinks!

Ooty itself was disappointing, chilly in evenings and little to do except visit old British places and enjoy the train down to Coonoor (which seemed nicer).

Despite enjoying the heritage aspect, this is not a hotel I would want to stay in again,.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jobie
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and found it all rather mediocre. The food and beverage manager introduced himself to us on one of the evenings when he was either duty manager of the hotel or the dining room, and gave us his business card...as to what I would do with it, I do not know. Would have much preferred if he had taken care of his management role...when I ordered muesli for breakfast ( it was on the menu), I was informed it was not available. So I thought I would have the bacon ( or ham) and eggs and sausages...what looked like an English breakfast - but was informed that they do not serve bacon or sausages in Tamil Naidu. As to what it was doing on the menu, I do not know.

Wi-fi is the most expensive I have ever experienced....160 rupees for 30 minutes...approx £2.00.

Ooty is over 2000 metres above sea level, so it will get cold there. Rather romantically, they will provide an open fire in your room - ie they bring along a handful of sticks and pour some diesel on them and set them aflame...This saves them installing central heating. When the sticks burn out within an hour or so, you have zilch but a small fan heater to warm your room.

After our first shower there, I noticed that the shower water was not draining away....bad maintenance...they did fix it rather rapidly.

Not a place I would return to...Ooty is generally very dirty and its only redeeming feature was our guided walk in the hills.

A swimming pool would greatly enhance this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple