“Badly mismanaged property.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Ooty
Toronto, Canada
“Badly mismanaged property.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

In about 12 years of travel , I haven't seeen a property as badly managed as Sterling Fernhill was. The variance in the quality of rooms , the service provided , the response of the front desk to complaints is exactly the same as what you would expect in any cheap transit hotel.

When you check in you may end up with one of these rooms:

1. Room 1412: - a cramped 750 sqft dirty twin cottage with soot on the wall , water damage and broken furniture with a scenic view of the area's main road.
2. Room 1511 - A duplex slightly bigger than 1412 right next to the children's playground with tthe world's creakiest swing.
3. Room 1416 - a newly "renovated" twin same size as 1412 downwind from the sewage treatment plant. Wake up everyday to a new fragrance.
4. Room 1431 - again a newly "renovated" twin , with the combined benefit of fragrant diesel fumes whenever the generator operates (4 hours a day) and a view of Ooty's biggest garbage dump next to you.

OR

5. One of the five spacious (1200 sq ft) clean , secluded cottages behind the garden (1601 - 1605) with a big lawn in front , a hedge and a beautiful view of the mountains.

Which do you think I was allotted / recommended to take when I checked in? And which one do you think I had to find by myself and order housekeeping to move me to? I was shown the fiirst 4 , I found the last and stayed in 1604 for a full six weeks.

If you are a "model" guest this is what you will get:

The worst available units , no microwave or hot plate , non-functioning room heaters , absolutely no information about planned activities , rude security staff , indifferent housekeeping , pathetic food , danger from undisciplined driving by resort staff and tourist taxis within the premises.

If you do your own research , escalate every issue , scream at the top of your voice this is what you get:

A nice unit , regular calls from housekeeping , good food , holiday activities , new mattresses , regular vacuuming of carpets , removal of other guest's clothes from the hedges blocking the view , a meeting with Mr. Venkatesh the powerless and useless property manager who will make dozens of promises about security staff and speedbreakers which will never be kept.

4 Thank SridharCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
Kakinada, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Beware..... of FERN HILL ,Sterling Ooty resort. Our experience.....this is from a person who visited the resort on 17th may 2012....We are one of the privileged membership holder of sterling resorts and paid around Rs 1 lakh... 2 yrs back for the membership.....the horrible xperience we faced in the resort was like a hell.......the things which were furnished in the company's website are entirely opposite in reality.....The rooms which we stayed are stinking, torn out blankets, damaged beds,no hot water and broken sanitary ware and when asked for wash towels, they replied that wash towels are not available....we asked for a room heater...after many calls they provided a heater......it was not in working condition.....in every aspect of the stay we were unsatisfied and frustrated ......instead of being a member also we paid around Rs 8,000/--- for two days stay excluding food and we paid Rs 5000/-- for it (1 plate Idly-----Rs 150/-- expensive food too) .......When enquired about the nonmembers stay ..we came to know that they were provided with modern amenities and This is the situation of privileged member .....i am uploading the pics also

People beware of the Resort.....especially privileged members

66 Thank madhavs900
Chennai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

My brother and family visited Ooty on 14th May 2012 and checked into Sterling Fernhill. The booking was for a Guest room in the hotel main building but they were given a compact room. This room was totally a wreck. Bad toilets, bad and dirty furniture, beds were unsleepable, with lots of flies all over. Despite several requests, the staff at the hotel refused to help nor change the room. They had booked till 18th May. Came to take a break, the entire family was upset and they decided to leave the hotel on 16th May and wanted to leave OOTY itself. They are now settling themselves down at Coimbatore for the balance days. These time sharing hotels are a big farce and no body should stay in Sterling. Unbelievable!!!

Room Tip: Best not to go there. The entire staff and maangement are crooks.
12 Thank johncjacob
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

The drive to Ooty from Coimbatore is painful. But once you reach there, even in the midst of summer, its cool.

Sterling Fern Hill is spacious, both for privacy and business trips

Room Tip: The rooms in cottages are good and gives you good privacy. The rooms in the main building are a bit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Reddyrs
Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

We booked 2 room via makemytrip.com, fully paid up and reserved. When we got there (Mar 23rd ) after a night journey on train and car - guess what we were told

- No rooms and said we informed the agent . No explanation of who this was , and when it was done.
- After creating significant ruckus - they tried to find places at another hotel . THey found something at a "building hotel" in ooty - not the expeirance we were looking for the price we paid.
- Then we tried to get our money back - of course they can't but they woudl not even give a written statement saying they cannot accomodated a fully paid up reservation. Trying to get a their senior manager to write down what they were said was a like pulling teeth with anesthesia.Rude and completely "gooda" type behaviour.
- Got makemytrip to call them and get it sorted out no-luck.

Finally it was not only us , there were atleast 3 other reservation treated like this.

We moved on and found some accomodation in Kothagiri . Overall they shoudl ahve paid us a full days rate for wasting one whole day.

Avoid alike plague.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank vijay b
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We went in March 1st week. We booked through Makemytrip.com. It took around an hour of circling Ooty to figure out the correct way, since the regular road to Fern Hill was blocked for road upgrade. No signboards to locate the place.We gave the feedback but if they would have taken care of the same Gopalakrishnanpk(another traveller) won't have faced problem locating. Rooms were OK but if we see the price of the rooms, room maintenance should be done.Renovation is required for the wood used in the rooms mainly restrooms,cupboards- which look quite old. The most impressive part was the balcony view of mountains and the garden view.Reception and Restaurant was pretty well maintained. Price of the buffet is very high- this could be reduced.

Room Tip: Please take room no. 1111/1112- very good view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Anindita2012
Bengaluru, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had booked at Sterling Resorts Fern Hill, Ooty for my family through MakeMyTrip.

We reached Sterling-Fern Hill on Mar 24 at 12 noon. It took around an hour of circling Ooty to figure out the correct way, since the regular road to Fern Hill was blocked for road upgrade. The "revised" route had no directions to Sterling-Fern Hill...

Upon reaching, we were in for a "big shock". We were told that since the resort was already full (they were hosting a gala Rotary Club convention at that time), we could not be accommodated. I cited that I had en email from MakeMyTrip (MMT) confirming the accommodation, I was told that Sterling-Fern Hill has already informed MMT to stop their booking for FernHill, which was being ignored by MMT. Apparently, Sterling head office in Chennai collects the bookings from MMT, and Sterling Fern Hill is not aware where the issue lies!

On another note, this was my first trip to Ooty, The trip was for commemorating our 5th marriage anniversary, and my in-laws had also joined us (self, wife, and son) for the occasion. I had hoped to make it special!

I insisted with the receptionist to put me through to the manager. In the intervening time, I noticed at-least 7-8 families being turned back by Sterling for want of accommodation. This also included 2 families who were VacationStay customers. To me, it looked like this was a serious botch-up from Sterling head office. The receptionist also indicated that 15 MMT customers were turned back on Fri, Mar 23, and this has been repeating for some time. Apparently, MMT did not perform "due diligence" while accepting new bookings! To top it, MMT had sent me an email on Mar 21 stating "Kindly note, your booking is RECONFIRMED and you are not required to contact the hotel or MakeMyTrip.com to reconfirm the same".....

Sterling offered us 2 options: a) To accommodate us at another hotel, or b) To request MMT for a refund (wait period of 2-3 weeks), in which case we had to get our own accommodation. I opted for the first, since my family was getting impatient by this time. We were offered accommodation at Sun Shine Inn. During my check-in at Sun Shine, I figured out that the rate at Sun Shine was Rs.1700/- per room. I had paid Rs.2200/- for my MMT booking. Apart from enduring all the trouble, I also lost Rs.1000/- (2 rooms) in the process, thanks to Sterling & MMT!

This was to be our first stay at Sterling, since were hoping to take their Vacation Stay package (I had already sent them an email). I will now think twice, may be go the Mahindra way. We were also planning an Andaman trip in May. for which MMT was my first choice. This experience however leaves me with a nasty feeling, which will take a while to forget.

On the positive, the staff at Sterling were courteous despite these issues.

I would advise fellow travellers to be extremely careful while booking at Sterling. Better to call them up and confirm before you leave your home.

In general, I found Ooty very commercialized. It's a place that best avoided!!

Room Tip: In general, I would advise against visiting Ooty. It is highly commercialized, and has very little n...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family