In about 12 years of travel , I haven't seeen a property as badly managed as Sterling Fernhill was. The variance in the quality of rooms , the service provided , the response of the front desk to complaints is exactly the same as what you would expect in any cheap transit hotel.
When you check in you may end up with one of these rooms:
1. Room 1412: - a cramped 750 sqft dirty twin cottage with soot on the wall , water damage and broken furniture with a scenic view of the area's main road.
2. Room 1511 - A duplex slightly bigger than 1412 right next to the children's playground with tthe world's creakiest swing.
3. Room 1416 - a newly "renovated" twin same size as 1412 downwind from the sewage treatment plant. Wake up everyday to a new fragrance.
4. Room 1431 - again a newly "renovated" twin , with the combined benefit of fragrant diesel fumes whenever the generator operates (4 hours a day) and a view of Ooty's biggest garbage dump next to you.
5. One of the five spacious (1200 sq ft) clean , secluded cottages behind the garden (1601 - 1605) with a big lawn in front , a hedge and a beautiful view of the mountains.
Which do you think I was allotted / recommended to take when I checked in? And which one do you think I had to find by myself and order housekeeping to move me to? I was shown the fiirst 4 , I found the last and stayed in 1604 for a full six weeks.
If you are a "model" guest this is what you will get:
The worst available units , no microwave or hot plate , non-functioning room heaters , absolutely no information about planned activities , rude security staff , indifferent housekeeping , pathetic food , danger from undisciplined driving by resort staff and tourist taxis within the premises.
If you do your own research , escalate every issue , scream at the top of your voice this is what you get:
A nice unit , regular calls from housekeeping , good food , holiday activities , new mattresses , regular vacuuming of carpets , removal of other guest's clothes from the hedges blocking the view , a meeting with Mr. Venkatesh the powerless and useless property manager who will make dozens of promises about security staff and speedbreakers which will never be kept.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched at one of the highest points in Ooty, this resort has an amazing view of the Nilgiris. Sterling Holidays Fern Hill is set in an alluring scenic location, surrounded on all sides by the ethereal beauty of the Nilgiri Hills. The resort’s sloping roofs and terracotta tiles are reminiscent of the quaint charm of a bygone era. With a heady mix of comfort and tranquility, spending time within the resort is as attractive an option as venturing into the idyllic mountainside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Ooty - Fern Hill, A Sterling Holidays Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sterling Fernhill Hotel Ootacamund
- Sterling Resorts Ooty
- Days Inn Fernhill
- Days Inn Ootacamund
- Sterling Resort Ooty
- Ootacamund Days Inn
- Ooty - Fern Hill, A Sterling Holidays Resort India