“Value for money and fantastic views”
Review of I-India

I-India
“Value for money and fantastic views”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

One of the best views. Great food! For some of you who cant handle spice need to inform the chef. Ideal destination for travellers who want nature treks. Very pleasant staff always helpful. Beautiful sunrise views overlooking the ketti valley.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Ultimatetravi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I had stayed in I India during my tour to Ooty, it was really a excellent stay. The best part is the hospitality extended by the entire resort staff. Rooms are too good. The entire resort maintains excellent hygiene. Food provided is homely. I would request the management to increase more rooms.
I recommend anyone who visits Ooty should stay at I India.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Biswarup B
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The stay was very lovely, rooms are also very confortable. A scenery is breathtaking.The manager , Mr Sabi Raj made every effort to make the guests feel at ease.The staff also were very courteous.He even guided us in planning our ooty tour.If you have plans to visit ooty, no need of any second thought. I India is too good

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mistydrizzle_00
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Roughly 2.5kms on the Ooty - Coonoor Road is an inconspicuous right turn marked by a board that reads "Sagar Holiday Resorts". Take that turn and know that its always darkest before dawn. The 200 odd meters that leads you to the gates of I-India lie dilapidated. But once you make that turn into the cottage, the view that greets you is one of insurmountable peace. Welcome to a Pucca Stay, a Pucca Experience.

The Property:

The pathway, lined by brilliant wild flowers and flowering shrubs, leads you to a charming English cottage set against a backdrop most refreshing. Said to be almost a 100 years old, it has been refurbished thoughtfully without losing its old-world appeal.

The courtyard overlooks a section of the famous Ketti Valley and offers a glorious view of the mountains and the valley. Less interestingly, it also offers plenty of parking space. The Blue Mountain track runs across the valley, not very far from the cottage and a walk along the track is a good way to get to know Ooty.

The cottage has 6 or 7 rooms, rustic in nature, all clean and well maintained. We booked the Heritage room for the two nights we stayed. It had two comfortable queen-sized beds and enough blankets to keep us warm through the 2 degree celsius nights without a heater. There are no fans or television sets. We didn’t miss either of them. The wardrobe was clean and big enough for the two of us. The bathrooms are sanitary and the fixtures modern. Running hot water is a bit of a problem. So have the staff switch on your geyser first thing in the morning so you are shower-ready by the time you are done with your morning tea.

A ‘Glass House’ or a communal lounge runs across the entire length of the cottage over looking the valley. You can watch some television here, or read a book or ponder over your next move in a game of chess amidst a picturesque setting.

Your Trip Advisors:

I-India has a wonderful staff, very welcoming, always attentive, and all Nilagiri aficionados’. As far as I am concerned, they are the cake. Everything else is just the icing. Sabi, the property manager, is a Nilagiri devotee and an avid trekker. He’ll help you figure your itinerary, whatever your needs might be. Gokul, who looks after the accounts, is a PhD research student. His research on the temples of Nilagiris makes for informative conversation and if time permits, exciting field trips. Denish, the strapping young marketing guy knows all the nooks and crannies in and around Ooty. Be nice to him. He might just take you there.

Food:

I-India provides you with a more than decent fare on their menu. Just show up at the kitchen when your ready for breakfast. Its usually Idli/dosa/masala dosa with chutney and sambar. You also have bread and eggs. Geetha akka will have you wanting more.
However, be sure to ORDER LUNCH and DINNER well in ADVANCE. Jerry is the omnipresent lord of the jungle and the ever genial man Friday. He will be around to take your order. While Chef Suresh is a pasta specialist (Ex Sidewalk and all) the menu includes South/North Indian and Chinese treats (Veg and Non Veg).

At the end of the two days; we not only had a delightful stay, having seen some breathtaking sights; we also made a bunch of friends. There’s no doubt this is the only door we’ll be knocking the next time we are in Ooty.

Pointers:

The Heritage room is the largest, can accommodate up to four people, and is the only room that opens out into the lounge. The others open to face other rooms.

Carry a pair of house slippers. The floor is wooden and tends to get really cold in winters.

I am sure the staff might be able to get this for you, but carry some toilet paper on you for “drying off” purposes!

If you want to avoid the hassle of making a lunch/dinner stop after getting to Ooty, feel free to call Sabi and place your order enroute, lets say, 2 hours before you are slated to reach Ooty. If not, you can head over to SideWalk Café on Charing Cross before you get on the Ooty-Coonoor road.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank driftingsands
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Ooty was the second leg of our Mysore-Ooty- Bangalore vacation in Dec 2011.We were clear that in Ooty , we wanted to stay a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the main market , possibly surrounded by mountains and greenery. After going through all the possible reviews for hotels in Ooty on various sites including Trip Advisor, I was impressed by the consistently good reviews that I-India got. Plus the pictures posted seemed fabulous and just what we wanted.So I India it was that we opted for.

I must say that the brief 200-300 metres detour from the Ooty-Coonoor road was a bit of a disappointment since it is badly maintained. But once we took the turn into the property, it was like returning to one's own house. Ample parking space was available for the cab we had hired. The view from the open area facing a huge valley and mountains on all sides was out of the world , especially during early mornings and evenings. The hotel itself is alike an old world cottage with wood used extensively.

The staff was extremely friendly . While we could not meet the much praised manager, Mr Sabi since he was out of station, his team of Gopi, Jerry and the cooking staff were absolutely spot on. Extremely courteous and always willing to serve.

The rooms are pretty everage, we took the double room which is smaller than the heritage rooms. But since we did not plan to spend more time than the night's sleep in the room, we were quite ok with the arrangements. A word of caution : The hot water arrangement is quite slow and one needs to wait for 15-20 minutes for a bucket of water which upset your sighseeing schedule . The management assured that they were working on having this changed soon. Secondly, heaters for the room should be taken immediately on entry, it might be essential in Winters.

Rooms dont have TV, but due to that, families came out in the evening to the common activities room. Carrom, chess and a common TV are available for recreation apart from badminton racquets. They have a decent book collection for those wanting to spend a few hours just reading at leasure.

The food menu is pretty extensive and quality was also good. One needs to remember to order in advance as there only a couple of cooks and in a full house, it might lead to delays.

And a trip to the Hanuman temple on top of a nearby hill early in the monring was extremely memorable.

All in all , it was a delightful stay at extremely affordable rates. Given a chance , I will prefer to visit it again in future, this time with friends as well.

Room Tip: Some rooms have windows that open into a common lobby. My room was such one, though I liked it still...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Vinay I
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The I-India Hotel in Ooty is a lovely, cozy and affordable place to stay with very friendly helpful staff including the Manager Mr. Sabi who ensure your stay there is most comfortable. The location is idyllic allowing you to sit back and enjoy the lovely view of the valley below while soaking up the sunshine. The food prepared by the in house cook Mr. Jayaprakash and the main chef Mr. Suresh is excellent. The I India Hotel in Ooty leaves us with some of the best memories of Ooty, and it will definitely be the place to stay when we go there again.
From: Mayur Jaidev & Sudha Joshi

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mayuur
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I -India is superb with its location, facility and accessability, of course the hospitality. I enjoyed the stay with my husband, of course he will compare any facility with 5-star hotels as hes is a business traveller. They made us comfort even during a heavy raining day.There are champions in any department with a well groomed facility manager (Gokul) and a nice cook, he can cook anything with a homely taste. And special thanks to Mr.Sabi for his hospitality and a free advise for the locality and the best places to visit in Ooty

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple