“Amazing view, colonial feel”
Review of Sherlock Hotel

Sherlock Hotel
Bengaluru, India
“Amazing view, colonial feel”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Enjoyed every bit of our stay of Sherlock Hotel. Beautiful british mansion retaining the colonial grandeur located at Tiger Hills with the amazing view of the ooty hills. Its close to the ooty town but remains undisturbed from the hustle n bustle. Courteous and friendly staff who made u feel at home. Food was amazing, especially their continental fare and they served some amazing tea of various spice variety. We stayed during the christmas eve and they had given a christmas feel to the place by decking up the place with lights, christmas crib n decorations and christmas theme based dinner. One of the staff accompanied us to the trek one morning and we went uphill on tiger hills and explored few dams as well. I must stay we had a great time...

2 Thank Hifazath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Mumbai
Reviewed December 27, 2011

My wife and I visited Ooty for the first time this year between the 10th and 13th of December 2011 to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and we loved every minute of it. We stayed in Hotel Sherlock which has a very beautiful view of the valley. It is a bit away from the main city but that means more peace and quite. The rooms are clean and cozy. We stayed in the deluxe room for the first two days which had a nice balcony with a view to die for. The hotel staff were also very courteous and always ready to help with any kind of request that we had. The food in the hotel was also amazing and definitely worth the price. All in all a beautiful hotel to spend your days in Ooty. Would definitely recommend friends and family to stay here.

Room Tip: If you are going as a couple the choose the deluxe rooms.
2 Thank gonsalvesboj
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The place is really very nice, on entry, we upgraded the rooms to luxury cottages the moment we got in, as it had really neat view from the veranda without having to go out in the cold, the food was good, so was the ambiance, couple of things to take care so that the place can be made atleast 5* rating :). trust me i enjoyed this hotel big time..

1> heated floor can be provided, it should not be a costly thing, and makes the stay very comfortable. its difficult to walk when in room.
2> provide bathroom slippers atleast.
3> proper heat insulation in bathroom,(if u keep bathroom open, u will freeze in no time.)
4> whenever i visit ooty again, i will make it a point to book this hotel.

good things that made us comfortable

1> packing breakfast for us, as we were starting early.
2> giving the list of places to visit, helping us with the routes etc..
3> very good service quality.

Room Tip: definitely book luxury cottages, u will never repent this advice!! else u will end up booking luxury...
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Its a good place to spend time in Ooty. Location is awesome...rooms are neat and clean and service was also prompt.

however size of the executive and semi deluxe rooms are a bit small (manageable though!) so it gives a thought in your mind that one might have got a bigger room for the same price.

Nonetheless overall a great experience to be there

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Singhai
Reviewed November 17, 2011

A beautiful place to stay right in the heart of Ooty.
I have been to Ooty a few times before this. In fact, the first time I went to Ooty, I stayed in Coonoor for the fear of Ooty's urbanization. After that, my visits to Ooty have always been at the behests of others who wanted to visit the place. So, when my wife said she wanted to take her mother to Ooty, I was, not surprisingly, very skeptical.
But then, with the help of this interesting site called getoffurass.com and through the reviews from trip advisor, she found this amazing place called Sherlock right in the heart of Ooty, thus pandering to both her mother's and her husband's fancies.
After reaching Ooty, we were guided to Tiger Hill (there wasn't much guiding required, though) by a lady at the reception. The skies were pouring down on us and we started climbing a hill. Suddenly, the road ceased to exist and all I could see amidst the downpour was a muddy way. It continued like this for about ten minutes, and while the uphill ride to this unknown place went on, I nagged my wife every ten seconds to call Sherlock to find out if we were lost.
My poor wife of course kept trying in vain from all available phones since there was no network. And just as suddenly, a tiny board said Sherlock to the left and we were at a quaint European cottage in two minutes.
Our room was right at the corner, overlooking the valley on two sides, with a huge lawn spread in front. I couldn't believe it. We were in Ooty, and yet, there was nothing commercial about this place or anything around it and the view was truly breathtaking.
The chowkidar helped bring our stuff inside. The manager let us settle in before coming to our room for the paperwork.
We were tired from the journey and little sleep the night before, so they brought us the food to our rooms. The food was very good. Even my little girls - they are a year and three months - loved the soft rotis and dal and sabzi.
They don't serve beer or any other alcohols in the hotel, but let us have our own. The manager was happy to get us a quart for a quiet evening by the fireplace.
My wife loved the book shelf and my mother in law couldn't stop raving that this place was actually visited by Sherlock Holmes himself. I'm not too sure though.
The hotel has a hint of Holmes in every nook and corner and that makes it mysteriously nice.
The lobby is divided into a bigger living room with couches, a book shelf and a fire place, and two smaller, cozier rooms with fireplaces and couches too.
We had a generous supply of firewood in our room that kept the room warm for my asthmatic mother in law. Over here, I have to mention that her extra bed was better than any extra bed we have asked for in any other hotel room, because it came with a make-shift cot. It was a pleasant add on.
One reason why my wife had opted for Sherlock, was the lawn, keeping our toddlers in mind. It did not let us down. My kids loved the lawn, as did we. It was a little wet on Day 1 because of the rains, but perfectly fine for play on Day 2.
All our meals were really good through our stay. The staff was extremely helpful, sterilizing the feeding bottles a number of times every day. In fact on Day 3, there was no one but the cook in the kitchen, who warmed milk for my babies at six in the morning.
It was sad that our stay ended so soon. Everyone loved the place.

Room Tip: This place is for those who don't want to pack too much in their holiday.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AnkurKhurana
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Went to Ooty on the toy train and it was a wonderful experience. However on getting down at the station we realised that commuting to and from the hotel will be a costly affair as all taxi/auto guys were asking money like anything. The place is not easily accessible and if you are not having your own vehicle, you'll face difficulty in going around.

On entering the hotel we realised that we had made a good decision on chosing this place. The view from the hotel was really amzing and the hotel looked very clean and nicely maintained. The garden outside the hotel was very beautiful and you could simply spend all of your time sitting in the garden with the view down the mountain. The rooms were very nicely maintained and gave a fresh look upon entering. Also the garden outside with a beautiful view was something really worth it.

Food was good and service was also very good. However in food they had limited options, possibly beacuse we were the only guests in the hotel at that time, it being the off-season. Still I expect them to offer atleast half of the items in their menu which was not the case.
They used to arrange fire in the room(of which only 1 set of wood was complimentary and every time you wanted wood thereafter was chargeable), but apart from that there were no heaters for keeping the room warm. It can be slightly difficult to sleep if visiting in winters.
Transportation was deifinitely a major issue as we were dependent on the hotel guy to arrange us for transportation which was pretty costly.

Otherwise, the overall expereince was very good. We had a real good time there. However the hotel is recommended only if you have your own transportation.

I would also like to share one bad experience that we had in the hotel. It was the hotel manager himself (am not 100% sure, but I think his name was Shiva). While the entire staff was very courteous, this guy was not the one who made you really comfortable there. The transport he arranged for sight-seeing was very costly and one of the days he recommended us to go without fixing a rate assuring that the auto guy won't charge more. In the evening when we came back, exactly opposite of this happened when he got along with the auto guy asking for more money which put us both off. Also I asked him to arrange a candle light dinner (as it was our anniversary), but he conveniently forgot and went somewhere outside. What was worse, he told me over phone in the evening that they didn't have too many options for the dinner. I had to fight with him, when he agreed to arrange something (from somewhere I guess) and gave me few options for food. While going back again I had to ask him for a taxi upto Mysore where he was trying to ask a higher price. Only I could check the price elsewhere and was able to bring this guy down, else it would have been another disappointment.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnudeepN
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I went to Sherlock with high expectations after reading good reviews but the stay was dissapointing. There was no hot water on the first day due to some issue in the room and second day staff claimed that transformer burst so we ended up with no hot water in freezing weather. The room has no heater and though they provide fire wood it hardly burns and you would shiver in the room. The rooms are noisy as they open directly to the dining hall. Also, they don't let you know that tax is not included in thr oom rent so be ready to sheel out 600 odd per night extra then claimed room rent. Onlky positives were high qaulity food (though expensive) and the service attitude of Manager.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple