“Happy tourists”

Madurai Residency
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
“Happy tourists”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights at the Madurai Residency towards the end of November. The location was perfect, in walking distance to Sri Meenakshi Temple which we walked tobboth during the day and at night and we felt very comfortable at both times. We also visited the Gandhi museum, jumped in tuk tuk's and explored one of India's oldest cities and the train station was in walking distance. Our room was clean and comfortable with cable on our Sony flat screen. Wi if was in the lobby, but hey who needs it 24/7. Roof top restaurant had a great view, food was absolutely beautiful, the first night was a little slow and we pointed that out to the manager and on the second night was efficient and the staff couldn't do enough for us. Black outs do occur, usually for a few minutes but so what. Mosquitoes are around but guys use your repellant and stop complaining, this is India and for all the 1.2 billion people living here, they do a fantastic job and should be applauded.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The reception area was ultra modern. We were deceived by that and decided to stay there during our short trip to Madurai. The rates are filthy expensive and only a very few rooms looked nice. Rest of the rooms looked very aged and clearly shows this is an old lodge or mansion, refurbished very minimally.

The closet flush button was very hard to used. Only a muscular person can press it had. None of the ladies and elderly gents in the family could make it work. I complained about it to housekeeping and they said it is easy to operate and there were no issues. We asked them to change room and they had the same flush mechanism in all the other rooms they showed us.

When we asked for extra bed, they just gave us a thin mattress. Pillow was nothing but a bedspread folded and stuffed into pillow cover. They could have atleast provided a proper pillow.

The aircon in one of the rooms we booked was not effective at all.

Don't be cheated by pictures posted on Internet and looks of reception area. Inspect the room thoroughly before deciding.

Buffet style breakfast was very good. No complaints about that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karthik S

Travelers are raving about these Madurai hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here one night in late November 2013. Our only reason for stopping in Madurai was to see the Temple. The room was lovely - clean and luxurious and the bathroom was good, with hot water. We paid about £20 for this place, Inc breakfast. No WiFi in the room, only in the lobby. There is also a fixed computer in the lobby, but there are lots of mozzies flying around. Breakfast was awful - in a dark room, buffet style. Either Indian or continental. Continental is stale cereal and cold toast. We used the travel desk, which was fairly helpful, although they try to push you into a taxi option, and probably cheaper in travel office across the road. We also tried dinner on the rooftop, but the services was v slow and the food unremarkable. Electricity went off regularly. Room service was poor though food was good. Overall, a good room, but the other hotel facilities not great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

They said that check in would be available 24 hours as well as check out. But the real thing is that they make you check out exactly 24 hours after your check in. So we had to check out at 5 am in the morning. Can you belive this?
Not any possibility to pay half day or ours or that they let you stay a couple of hours more. No. We have to wake upvery early just to check out.

The room was very old. No WIFI there. Just in the lobby.

I think they make a new web page before the had every thing that they say on it

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I've already been to this hotel a few years back. It was among the best properties in Madurai at that time, Clean & Well maintained. But now, I guess they have contracted the Madurai Corporation to handle the house keeping. Very Dirty. Very Unprofessional Manager Operations & Manager EDP. I had booked the Royal Suite Room through Agoda & they were clueless about the booking. No pick & drop service as they don't have a travel desk. Their roof top restaurant is full of mosquitoes. This one ranks the best among the Worst hotels in Madurai.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank indianesj
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed for 1 night as wanted to visit Meenakshi temple before carring on with my munnar holiday trip. Nice and clean room, good food and close to market as well as temple. Staff is very courteous, thank you for making my stay pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Yesterday i went to madurai residency to check in. I did booking through travelguru. Hotel guy asked me the marriage proof.I said right now I dont have marriage certificate or marriage photo with me.I tried to show him the voter cards of me and my wife.He is not accepting to check in. I tried to show him our Medical Insurance Cards provided by My office,in my wife card,it is mentioned as wife of me.They didnot accept that also. Third proof I wanted to show them is my family photo..they are saying then..they are no rooms available and asking me to talk to travelguru guys.I even asked them to give their mail id so that my brother can send marriage certificate or photo.But they are not giving that also. I even asked them to recharge my mobile battery and I can show them marriage certificate in my mobile. Even I asked them to give me access to internet and I can show the proof.They are saying then ..no rooms available...Room is already confirmed . I dont know they know the hotel rules..how can they say rooms not available for confirmed room..It is horrible experience in my life yesterday night..the time was around 9pm,when I entered that worst hotel...finally I came out of that hotel around 10:15 pm...almost more than 1hr, I requested..but no use....Dont go to this hotel...They are uneducated people at reception..They dont know how to talk to customers...rude behavior..Hotel managemte did not recruit professional guys..aAt reception the guy named MUNNESH is very rude...Hotem nanament should remove him and recruit professional guys..I think he doesnot know ABCDs of professionalism...rude customer service....

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple