“Good food - crowded”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ayirai meen kolambu was fantastic. Biriyani good. Fish fry - good.
Could be improved - service. Felt hurried.
Crowded. Need transparency with prices. Was not offered a menu with prices at star and prices are not displayed prominently.

3  Thank Jimm01

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I had visited the mess with my friends on a hot afternoon for lunch. It is a small place. Parcel service is in the basement and eating place at the top. It is too crowded. You cannot sit there and enjoy the food. Only thing you would like is the taste. We had chicken meals, biryani and a lot of side dishes. The meals was normal and they give about 6 pieces in a medium spicy gravy. The chicken was hard. However the biryani was good. The mutton chops and the prawn dish were awesome. I would suggest this place for the taste. In my opinion it is better to get a parcel and eat in your home or in your room.

3  Thank Nikhil T
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Excellent taste and a wide range of innovative dishes for the meat eater. Price is okay compared to other hotels in the same category. Excellent hospitality as they never leave you out even if the place is full. Even the owner will come out and find a place for you. Only dis adv is that the place is small and fully packed during lunch. Land up early or a little late to avoid a packed house.

3  Thank deepak-Mcc
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went to Amma mess for dinner on 11/05:13'. Excellent home style South Indian non veg food. Friendly service. Can definitely improve on cleanliness and ambience.

1  Thank IBJAF
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had dinner at Amma's Mess in Madurai on 11 May 2013 along with Muthu, who teaches at a local college in Madurai (KLNCE, a SF minority college for the Saurashtra Community in Madurai). Amma's Mess is like a scaled-down more reasonably priced version of Mahesh Lunch home, Mumbai. We started with the kollams, which are, I was told, a sort of appetizer. These are small balls of very finely ground meat, spiced lightly. The excellent taste of these kollams is, I suspect, due to a galawati-kabab style preparation (adding rib fat) but I could not detect any of the greasiness which fat would normally leave on the tongue. There is a huge spread of items though the ambience of the place remains very down-scaled and homely. In India, homely actually would mean not-very-tony-and-please-dont-look-for-shining-cutlery. A wide variety of dosas with various toppings, ranging from rabbit to quail to crab to prawn. I had a prawn dosa and a mutton dosa with an excellent gravy served gratis as a side dish. We were told that we could come back tomorrow for rabbit but partridge in a pasty-pie type of preparation was available right away. Crab was also on the menu. Prices, if I go by Delhi's prices, were very reasonable - every such exotic dosa like, say, a prawn dosa was around Rs.130-Rs.180. A crab dosa would be around Rs.200 - that is a very reasonable price for a crab dish. I had roasted meen fry, which was a very thinly sliced cross-cut-against-the-grain fillet of fresh tuna, which was deep-fried. It was so thinly sliced, as a matter of fact that it must have have been cut from a very very fresh fish - it was almost a thick sushi slice. The chutneys and gravy were excellent and, more importantly, fresh (I am very sensitive and allergic to a unfresh chutney !). From the photographs on the wall, this place is frequented by celebrities - I saw Rajanikanth in one of the photographs. In that case, if it steps up its ambience a little bit and cleans up its cooking areas, I can easily see Amma Mess right up in the stars.

I am talking a small minor upgrade here, not a huge expensive upgrade which takes a great-food restaurant like Amma Mess and prices it out of range for the average Madurai resident. Amma Mess is for the average middle-class citizens like us, those who live in Madurai and want to take their families out for a decent food experience which does not burn a hole in their pocket. It should stay that way.

In fact, the very next day, I ate at Anjappa, (near the Ring road in Madurai) which is a typical Chettinad eating place. The ambience was great, though the ACs could have been better. The waiters took the orders on iPads and we were served in exactly six minutes. I was very impressed by Anjappa and the food was also very very good but this is the sort of upgrade which could destroy the essence of Amma Mess.

Subrat Kar, New Delhi