“Hotel on Hill”

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
Mumbai
“Hotel on Hill”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked two rooms. I had a very bad experience at The Gateway Hotel at Varkala so I was very skeptical about this property, but once we reached there, the feeling was good. The hotel is on hill. Very good view. Rooms, lobby and restaurant are at different level so be prepared to climb up and down if you are going to stay here. We were offered two rooms one up and other was below it. Room on lower level was nice and spacious. They were newly done. We opted for two single bed which were comfortable. There were two split air condition in room. Bathroom was also very nice and large. Restaurant is quite far from the room so you have to walk all the way down or order meal in your room. In restaurant Buffett dinner was not very appealing so we ordered for South Indian thali. Food was not so good, little spicy, it needs to be improved further. Since we were leaving early morning so hotel manager was kind to pack some breakfast for us. Again the quality of breakfast specially idly, sambar and chutney needs to be improved and it must be similar to the typically South Indian taste that your get in that state. Morning coffee was not as per the standard. Overall it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Opt for newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HKapadia
Devraj S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is the feedback from valued guests like yourself that enables us to keep improving and remain motivated to deliver services of the highest standards. We have noted your comments on the required improvement in the taste of food. We assure you that this has been addressed and we have a local homemaker on board dishing out regional delicacies for our guests.

We look forward to having you return to Madurai and staying with us in the future as well.

Devraj.singh@tajhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
bangalore
Reviewed May 29, 2013

One of the best properties I've seen from Gateway, with lush greenery and peacocks wandering around the campus. The staff are friendly but not in your face, and I'm amazed at how they manage to do this consistently across all staff - it is obviously a result of great management - my kudos to them.

The pool is excellent, the rooms are HUGE and the food at GAD is good though we would have liked more local food varieties in the menu.

My only complaint is that Gateway should re-consider charges for Internet which many new age hotels provide free of cost since it is cheap anyway. Even our children need Internet for their devices now, and the hotel needs to appeal to their generation as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lpai
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the team from The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai, Madurai, we thank you very much for staying with us. Your compliments on the responsiveness of associates is of great value to us and we will ensure that it is shared with all of them.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is an outstanding hotel for a get away from the hustle bustle of city life. It is located on a hilltop overlooking the city. A good thought from the hotel to place lounge chairs in the periphery of the hotel; wherein you can view the city night skyline over a relaxing drink at Night. This is a heritage building with an old world charm.

Rooms are large with very large modern bathrooms. Most rooms have a great view of the temple.

Devraj and his team are excellent. Most hotels in tamilnadu have language communication issues with their guests. However I was amazed with the communication skills of the service team.
They go all out of their way to fulfill any wish as " A guest wish is their command".

Breakfast was excellent with elaborate spread. I usually test the F&B team's breakfast service pressure with wierd omlette combinations for all members on my table. Surprisingly the service pattern did not break down. KUDOS to the F&B team

Only drawback was the pool. Lots of tiny leaves floating. Not the hotel's fault; since there are lots of trees surrounding the pool.

Great excitement for Kids. Peacocks and exotic birds strutting all over the property.
Great value for money. I recommend this hotel especially for families visiting Madurai !!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LoveKing
Dear Sir,

Entire team is delighted to receive your compliments and we will always treasure your comments. On behalf of the team from The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai, Madurai, we thank you very much for staying with us. All chefs and F&B associates are really happy to know that they passed your 'omelette test' with flying colours. We have also introduced changes in the process of pool cleaning to ensure falling leaves are removed frequently.

Boston
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This Taj is special. It is located in what was originally built as the estate of an English businessman. Situated on top of a hill, the views are great, especially of the five towers of the Meenakshi Temple complex. Most people say this is the best hotel in Madurai.

I had the hotel pick me up at the airport and the car cost was under $20 even though the ride was rather long. There are two ways to go: mostly "highway" or mostly along the back roads. The latter is more interesting and that's the way the hotel car brought me back a few days later.

The hotel has peacocks walking around, chipmunks scampering here and there, and lots of other birds making interesting calls. It's laid out at multiple levels on the hill and I was surprised at how much effort it took to climb up outside from the lower levels in the heat. You're pretty much a captive audience there but the restaurant is large and really good serving South Indian Chettinad food.

The best thing about Madurai, of course, is the sightseeing. The temples are amazing. There are several with the Meenakshi temple being the largest and most impressive. Around the Meenakshi temple are streets full of shops. They'll tell you you can visit their rooftops and take photos of the temple above the walls, so you get a great view. I did that and the views are adequate but nothing special because they are just not high enough. You'll get pressured to buy but you don't have to. There's a restaurant on the rooftop of the Supreme Hotel from which you do get a great view of the temple, albeit from farther away. The food is also good and unbelieveably low priced.

I also liked the Vishnu and Subramaniya temples. Unlike the others, it is possible to visit the sanctum sanctorum, the inner sanctum, of the latter temple.

The guide I had to visit all the temples, the Gandhi Museum and other sites is named Johnson, email johnsonandjohnsun@gmail.com (yes that's a "u" in the second sun), and he was great. He is exceptionally knowledgeable about the rich traditions, history, and epic mythology of not only the Indian continent and people, but the various religions found there. His depth of explanations for sculptures, statues and artifacts inside the temples was beyond compare. Plus he's a generally interesting guy who obviously loves the culture and the town of Madurai. The driver of the hotel car used for the tour, named Lingam, was also very good and the pair took care of me very well.

For temple visits, check dress requirements in advance. You must wear something that covers your ankles when you visit the Meenakshi temple and one of the other main ones. For me that meant long pants when the temperature was 44 degrees C. I didn't notice any mosquitoes at all. Probably too hot for them, at least during the day. The temples are open early in the morning, close around noon, and reopen around 4 PM or so. Plan for that.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view of the towers of the Meenakshi temple in the distance, and hope for clea...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Duke D
Devraj S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to receive your valuable feedback.

It is the feedback from valued guests like yourself that enables us to keep improving and remain motivated to deliver services of the highest standards. We thank you for appreciating the property, hospitality of our associates and regional cuisine offerings in our restaurant.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The rooms give you a feel of old India and the bathroom give you the relief that its not old India!! lol. Modern bathrooms and simple dorm-room style rooms. But the views of the citi are amazing. Prabhu and Priya at the front desk are great! They helped me with my travel plans and booking at other hotels on my travels!! Which was great. The Executive Chef in the restaurant is FANTASTIC. They give lessons on how to make dosas! So I got to see the kitchen and learn the Taj Gateway Dosa. The Chef has been on cruise ships and was in Houston at 5-Star hotels. So he really knows his stuff and we had a long talk on recipes and cooking. Anyway - the best thing was being at the pool with 7 peacocks with a view of the whole city. This is not just a must stay resort but a must experience resort. Only thing I wish they offered was free internet. In my case they gave my wife and I - 2 single beds!! I joked with the attendant at night that we're not brother/sister. He didn't get my humor. I told him that at least to compensate for that, they should give me free internet. He didn't want to do that either. So...that was a bummer. At Le Meridian, my brand of choice in India, they are much more forgiving and they easily take stuff off the bill if you're not happy. So Taj really has to take a tip on how to compensate a guest when they can't oblige to a simple request of King bed. But otherwise, my experience was great and would I stay there again - hell ya!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank akalsahai
Devraj S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this review, May 9, 2013

Greetings from Madurai !

Its a pleasure to read such great feedback and compliments for the team and the hotel.

Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I came from the USA with my son, daughter-in-law, and 5-year-old granddaughter to adopt their new daughter, 3 years old, from an orphanage in Madurai. We intended to stay 3 days, and wound up staying 4 weeks because of unexpected passport issues. The hotel staff were so sympathetic and helpful. The grounds are quiet and beautiful! I drank in the natural beauty every day as we waited in our "gilded cage" for passport news.

I love old, historical settings. The hotel and buildings were old, but in good repair. Our rooms were large. The bathrooms were modern and very nice. We had 2 adjoining rooms near the swimming pool, which was ideal for our situation. We had to walk a ways to the restaurant, part of it uphill, but it was beautiful and good exercise. I don't know how it works in monsoon season, though.

We had been advised not to use hotel swimming pools while in India, so we did not bring swim suits. We dangled our feet in the water for several days, and let the girls run through the sprinklers in their dresses and get soaking wet. After seeing plenty of Europeans in the pool, and watching the pool being cleaned every morning, we decided to give it a try. The pool attendant urged us to get in with our clothes on, as we saw other Indian women do. So we did, and the little girls had a wonderful time. He gave us the name of a shop where we could get the girls "swim dresses," so the next day we took an auto rickshaw into Madurai to buy some, as well as water wings for each. The pool attendant spent some time each day in the water and helped the girls venture out in their water wings. That was a highlight of our stay at the Gateway.

The dining room staff took great care of us, and gave special attention to the girls. Communicating was at times difficult, but you have to expect that when you're in a foreign country. The nice thing was that they spoke the same language as the newly-adopted child. Since she did not know much English, the staff helped us communicate with her. Staff members spoke enough English so that we managed very well.

A highlight was the many peacocks strutting around. As you leave the dining room you are encouraged to take a handful of peacock food to feed the ones hanging around just outside. Highly entertaining, and we got some wonderful photos.

Right near the dining room is a small playground, just the right size for our 2 girls. They played there after almost every meal, usually swinging and singing at the top of their lungs.

My bed was comfortable, and sound of the air conditioner was such that it drowned out other noises. I slept better there than I do at home. Yes, the electricity went out briefly now and then, but I found it interesting, and not a problem.

The attendant at the spa/exercise building near the pool invited the girls (again, ages 5 and 3) into the exercise room, gave them bottled water, and helped them safely check out the equipment, as no other guests were using it at the time.

After a couple of weeks, and not knowing how long we would be stuck in Madurai, we arranged to move to a less-expensive hotel in the city. When the management heard about it, they made arrangements for us to stay at a reduced rate. After breakfast each day they sent us off with a box of fruit, muffins, and juice boxes for the girls, which helped with our peanut butter lunches in our room. That saved us money, and provided a casual mealtime setting. Sometimes we ordered room service for dinner. For our unusual situation It would have been nice to have a choice of a casual, snack-bar type eating place, in addition to the dining room.

The man who cleaned our rooms each day left a charming arrangement of the girls' stuffed animals and dolls, and flowers on the bed each day. C. and H. looked forward to seeing the new design each day.

We called the Gateway our "Gilded Cage" because we were stuck there for 4 weeks, but it was the best possible place in Madurai to be stuck. We will be forever grateful to the management and staff for helping us through this difficult time.

Room Tip: Our rooms were 38 and 39. We did not look at other rooms, so can't compare.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank magnolia3305
Devraj S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is the feedback from valued guests like yourself that enables us to keep improving and remain motivated to deliver services of the highest standards. Entire hotel staff fondly remembers you and the little girls. Kindly accept our best wishes for the girls and all your near and dear ones..

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Beautiful buidling on a hill with peacocks and squirrels joining you for breakfast. Rooms are spacious and clean with a beautiful view. The deck outside of the room in main building is very comfortable. Food was good too. A nice retreat out of the but not fare from the town.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms in the old building, much more charm that the more modern rooms next to the p...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pascal F
Devraj S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Its a pleasure to recieve your great feedback.

It is the feedback from valued guests like yourself that enables us to keep improving and remain motivated to deliver services of the highest standards. We thank you for appreciating the qulaity of food and the cleanliness of our spacious rooms.